What is your most embarressing RVing moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the Army and deployed to Kosovo right now, I got my MH right before I left so no stories to tell YET.

A buddy of mine, swear it's not me, let his TT off the his truck without putting chocks out.  He pulled in late and was in a hurry.  Watched as it rolled towards the water.  He was lucky that the tongue bit the ground, and broke, stopping the TT from going into the lake.  He describes it this way:  "as soon as I heard it pop off the hitch I knew what I forgot.  It just sounded like an explosion".  Teaching moment for those that camp with him.

We drove all the way up to a mountain campsite and forgot the keys to the trailer. Payed for the spot, drove 75 miles back home and got them. Set up tent trailer in the dark. Later that night the big bed broke. we all move to the 48" back bed about 2 AM.
Good times! :D

Every Spring I seem to forget all my backing skills. A few years ago I was backing into the driveway for the 1st time and just could not get it. After about the 4th try with a couple cars now stopped in the road waiting for me, I dropped a very loud "F"-bomb to make myself feel better. Finally got it backed up and there were the kids looking out their open windows. Oops, sorry kids!

And I'll tattle on a friend's "forgot the chocks" moment. We were camping in his backyard and the 4x4 block under the jack rolled over sending his jack post into the ground like a hot knife through butter - sunk right down to the frame. We had a  good campfire story that night.

Many years ago on a small upstate NY state park, I saw a neat campsite by the water's edge. It was down a hill and rather cramped at the bottom, but I thought I could get our 30 foot 5W into it. My wife said "No Way", but I insisted. Well, she was right. After 20 minutes of backing and filling, I gave up and managed to get  us turned around to look for another site. Then I got stuck on loose gravel trying to drive up the hill out of the site. Rear wheels just spun.  Ended up walking back to the park office and the ranger called a buddy of his to come pull me out with his 4x4.  Then I had to listen to the "I told you so"s without a shred of defense in my favor.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Then I had to listen to the "I told you so"s without a shred of defense in my favor.

Gary,
It is a good man who can admit such an event and then to share it publicly...Wow!

Betty

Who has never ever said "I told you so."  ;)

Years ago when the kids (now parents and even grandparents) were little, we used to tent camp a lot.  We had a brand new '70 Ford window van and the kids usually slept in the van.  We often camped at Joe Bald campground on Tablerock Lake near Branson, Mo.  It's pretty rocky and hilly there, to say the least.  One camping trip I had parked the van off the beaten path trying to get it as level as possible.  Come time to leave, I could not get enough traction in the loose gravel to back up on the road.  I decided my only option was to pull further down off the road to get out of the gravel.  Then maybe I could get a run at the gravely spot.  As I pulled down, it became apparent I would have to get close to a small tree in order to get my rear wheels off the gravel.  So, I decided to just ease down against the tree and let the tree hold me in place until I made my run.  One thing you may or may not have noticed...trees grow mostly straight up.  So the tree I was easing against was much closer to the van up about hood height.  As I eased the bumper against the tree, the tree made a neat little vertical crease in the hood of my new van.  I kept that van for about 11 years.  The whole time I owned it, it looked like it had a hair lip.  The phrase "Going to just ease down against the tree" became a family joke for trying anything risky.

I'm sure this is "every where"..but at a local lake they have bass tournaments and people come for miles around to join in them.
One of those early mornings as I drank my first cup and got ready for the sun I noticed the beginnings of a large commotion at the boat ramp not far away. I am a nosy cuss and I got the coffee pot and pulled up a chair, on my deck, to see just what was what.
As the sun was clearing the lake a big wrecker pulled into the CG and backed up to the boat ramp. AHH I thought some one lost a trailer...oh was I almost right..
As I found out later...some early fisherman decided to back his boat trailer down the ramp....using his class C ...while he was getting his boat off the trailer the parking pawl must have failed...yep...ugly.
The camper, trailer, and the as yet unreleased boat all slowly sunk into the lake...
I bet it was the first time he was praying for the ball hitch to fail....it didn't.
The sheriff department used a diver to hook the cable to his camper...and on the ground w/his head in his hands was, I presume, the owner..And I emphatically state it was not me. it was not me
Had to be hard to explain to his insurance agent...probably a pricy fishing day.
I learned to always use 4WD and set it in low range and reverse than turn off the engine AND set the parking break as insurance.
I never back down a ramp and not see that in my mind.

lone_star_dsl said:
I forgot to check the connections on my sewer hose once...and only once.

Since is "My" most ....
I too had a sewer issue..
At 4AM I was going to drain my truck camper black waste into my "blue tote". Of course it was dark.
I failed to verify the valve was closed...wrong...it was dark and I didn't open it is my defense.
It is truly amazing how much a 15gal tank can hold...and of course instead of jumping out of the way I tried to be the "little-Dutch-boy" and reinstall the cap. Did I mention it was dark..
If you ask why I didn't just close the valve....hell...I don't know!...it was dark..
Often when I use a port-a-john I have flash-backs..hate that smell...and it lingers even after a long shower...
That little camp ground in Indiana almost became a "Super-site"..YUCK..
I learned a lesson that trip...where sewage is concerned ...take nothing for granted...& use good lighting..

So here's my story........... Please don't laugh.
The very first day I got my New to me 2004 Class C motor home. I work at a car dealer so after work I was going to pull my MH into the service shop to check it out and go over everything. As I was going around the back of the shop I swung wide so that I could pull into the shop. Well the swung wide part should tell you where this story is going. As I "swung wide" I didn't pay attention as to how much the back end of the MH would swing out. As I'm turning in I hear (and feel) a Big crash. I stop open the door to hear a loud hissing noise. I knew then what I had done. I knocked a 2 1/2 inch gas meter off the side of the building. You have never heard or smelled such a thing. Well after I called 911, 4 fire trucks,3 police cars, the local gas people and about 40 people that I work with later. Did I tell you we had to evacuate three building. Needles to say it will be a long time before I live this down. Wish me luck on that.

After 15 years on the road, it's a question of which one to share. 

Shall I report the instant fountain of black water leaks at the upscale campground on the Eel River in California?  Perhaps it should be the instant fountain of pin hole black water leaks where Helaine and Wally came to our rescue (shared their sewer hose) at Cape Blanco in Oregon?  Or maybe the day we pulled out of Camp Runamuck in Hyder, Alaska while still connected to water and electric in full view of a not so supportive crowd.  (Thank God not connected to sewer).

You choose.  We're hiding.  Don't really want to talk about it, thanks.  :-[    ;)    ;D

Margi

Last spring just got home with NEW to me RV tried to go up drive bumper got stuck on the road got a floor jack from garage got out of that. Had to go to plan B to get RV in driveway. Now remember we are in the middle of a massive thunderstorm lighting every few second rain in buckets. Pulled the landscape timbers up across front yard drove up fine. When to make a 3 point turn in front of house to be able to back into spot. Got across front side walk as soon as tag axle cleared and got on ground sunk to the axles ALL 6 tires. Tried for half hour to get loose and on concrete DW said call someone it's 1:00 in the morning called several tows nobody wanted to come out in the storm. Finally got one he sent a regular flatbed guy pulls up says you need BIG truck to get that out. We did get it out after 45 minutes and rehooking 5 differant times to pull it back on the driveway. Left rutts a foot and a half deep and destroyed the sidewalk where the axles came across. While we waited for the tow to come the kids emptied all the stuff out of the RV on a makeshift bridge of plywood. Found out later it had rained for 3 days straight before we got home with totals of around 6 inches.

So my town has strict rules about rv time on the street, we were selling the last rig and i either needed to take the rig acrosss town to storage or find somewhere else to put it for the night as i had one more looker scheduled the next day.  The neighbor was kind enough to let me park next to their home for the evening.  I backed the rig into their home!  Crushed the rear corner of my rig and chipped some paint on the neighbors facia board.  The guys the next day, he didnt buy the rig. . .

Jeff

We were on our first trip with our new to us 5er. Got everything in place with minimum kerfuffle at the cg and went to bed down. DW discovered the black tank was full, I never thought to check that before leaving, so no toilet. She was most unhappy, resorted to using an old juice jug rather than getting dressed and walking to the washroom.
We went like this for the weekend. Monday morning I was packing up and noticed a pipe sticking out of the ground 6 feet from the trailer. Yup. ::) The stupid thing is the guy next to us had his slinky out and I never picked up on it. Boy oh boy, did I hear about that. ;D

Since DW travels by air to her work, there are many trips where the dogs and I will do the driving from place to place and then pick her up at the airport near our new stopping point. One trip we were on our way to stay near the grandkids in TN. The campground carefully told me to ignore GPS directions and take the second turn onto a road instead of the first (the road looped and reconnected with the main road). I looked at a map and decided that taking the first turn would shorten the trip a few miles, so that is where I turned. BTW, the dogs never objected.

It turned out that the road was over and around a small mountain/big hill with cutbacks and very sharp turns too tight to make with the motorhome and towd without disconnecting, and way too tight to even think about backing up. There was nothing I could do except disconnect the towd, drive the mh forward, walk back to the car and drive it forward, then repeat the process. It took several hours to get where I could reconnect and finish the trip to the campground. All the time this was going on the dogs never once offered to help. I think they laughed at me behind my back. I was several hours late picking DW up at the airport, and try as I might, I could not think up a plausible fib to explain my tardiness. I had to tell the truth. Even now, several years later, I get reminded of my "shortcut".

I was on my first trip out.  At the park I was attemting to empty the black water
tank.  As I pulled the lever, the hose came loose. :(

I got showered completely as I was kneeling down next to it.  And of course a
bunch of people were walking by at the same time. 

last year in my thread I called it, "My RV Baptism." :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom