TAXI able to move my future trailer around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bilbo777

Hi,

How long in feet can my future trailer be, and still not be too heavy for an average taxicab to tow to another local site...or maybe even to another city hundreds of miles away?

Looking to live in a small trailer (hardside not popup...this group seems the place to post this tho)
...To live in the trailer...and with no vehicle of my own, I will need a taxi to move it.

15' seems like the ideal for living space, but I would shrink that if need be.

Thank you very much , and be patient if I am slow to reply...I will attend to this thread, be assured...for these are big questions to me.

Bilbo

[quote author=bilbo777....] and still not be too heavy for an average taxicab to tow to another local site...or maybe even to another city hundreds of miles away?[/quote]

Where will you find a taxi with a tow hitch?

Tom x 2, I doubt a Taxi would be the one to call. Most towns have people with trucks ( 1-3 ton in size) that do hauling and other odd jobs. I would think one of them could move it for you. I would also check with any group affiliation you may have, church - VFW - etc as they might know of options also.

We're in the boonies with no taxi service. There are several local limo companies, but I haven't seen a tow hitch on any of them.

And if you can find one that can tow, length is not an issue, weight is. It will have to be very light to be towed by a car.  No solid trailer will fit in that category.  A small popup would.

You'll have better luck hiring a towing company, but they charge more.  The good news is that you can get any size trailer you want if it's towed by a towing company.

U-Haul and Penske/Hertz rental come to mind, and if you can't drive the unit, you might be able to hire someone to do the driving for you, or even use a relative.

Lee

Hi all,
Great info!

Tom,
That looks like the way to do it.  Thank you!

Marc L,
Never heard of towing companies -- are they wreck towtrucks? Or something else?

Lee,
Hertz sounds feasible. I may have a cabbie rent a truck and also drive for me.  I pay both.  That may get it done. 

Thank all of you who replied! I am most indebted to you and this wonderful website. 

Bilbo

Do a Google search for "RV transporters".  They usually tow new trailers from manufacturers to dealers but there's no reason they can't move yours.  Especially if you can give them some advance notice so they can schedule a truck and driver who would otherwise be returning empty.

If someone else will be moving your trailer, why limit yourself to 15'?  Towing rates are the same regardless of size since the driver and truck can only tow one trailer at a time.  Larger trailers aren't that much more expensive than a small one and having a bed you don't have to convert every day into a couch or dinette, larger toilet and shower spaces, etc. can make a huge difference if you're living in it all the time.

Telephone call....... "Hello, Ed's Taxi service.... How may I help you".... This is Bob, need a Taxi.  "Right-oo Bob, location, number of passengers and any luggage....."  Just me sir... and one piece of luggage..... box on wheels, 15' x 8'...... 

jje1960 said:
Telephone call....... "Hello, Ed's Taxi service.... How may I help you".... This is Bob, need a Taxi.  "Right-oo Bob, location, number of passengers and any luggage....."  Just me sir... and one piece of luggage..... box on wheels, 15' x 8'......

Great stuff!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom