-8C What Will Happen To The Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stealthbusa

Hi All,

My other half and I are off for a 6mths tour of Europe in our RV which is due to arrive on Friday. We are both newbies and have a few concerns.

We are moving out of our house in 2 wks and are going to spend 2 mths living in the RV on a small Caravan site in the UK before we depart for Europe. My question is this, as it's -8 outside what will happen to the fresh water tanks (well all of the tanks I guess), will they freeze and split?

What are my options and what is best practise?

I hope I have started this thread in the right place, guess I thought if anyone knows you guys will  ;D

Thanks

Depending on the unit, there are quite a few RV's that are equipped with cold weather packs that are basically heat blankets that keep the tanks warm. If not then you can always install a 60 watt light bulb in the tank area to keep it from freezing. The only tank to be worried about would be your fresh water tank, it would most likely be the only one full of liquid only. If you are hooked up to a fresh water ,you might want to invest in a heated water hose also.`

Many/most RVs use either diesel or propane to heat the coach interior.  It should also be plumbed such that when the heat is required inside, the outside wet bay is warmed as well keeping the water tanks and plumbing above freezing.  If this is the case you will not have to take an special steps to keep your wet bay safe in the cold weather.

If it is "Scheduled to arrive" and epically if you bought it new,  It should be arriving "Winterized"  If it's not,  new, or not winterized, I would (in your case) find a dealer to winterize it for you.. Find one who will let you watch and explain the process.

I will tell you there are 3 ways to winterize..

The Wet Method you pump some "pink stuff' (Called RV antifreeze) into all the lines, pour it into drains, and such  This is good, the pink stuff does freeze (or slush at least) but it does not expand when frozen so it does not break your pipes.

The "Dry Method" you blow out the lines, several time over, and use Pink in the drains as before.  Uses way less PINK, I prefer this method as it uses way less chemical.

The "S" method (Not an option for you but it's the one I use) drive SOUTH.

In the interete of humor I will fully describe the "S" method.

Start by strapping a Snow Blower on the front of the rig, Then drive SOUTH, when you stop for fuel and some local looks at the snow blower, scratches his head and says "What the )(@# is that for?" find praking You are winterized.

I'm not QUITE that far south. (Well, I do not see blowers for sale here, but shovels they have in the stores)

Alternate method. When Wall Mart no longer carries snow blowers (I am that far south).

At -8C. (18 F.) any exposed water line will freeze after several hours at that temperature. Your waste drain valves, water inlet feed, etc, are all at risk. The tanks may or may not be heated or even insulated in your '97 Winnie, but they are probably ok as long as the coach itself is heated inside. Don't leave an external water hose connected at those temps, and don't leave waste water in a sewer line either.

I would place a 75 watt incandescent light bulb (or other heat source) in the water bay and keep it lit as long as temps are below 0 C. Keep the water heater on so that it and th nearby hot water lines are safe. Maybe add some padding to the water bay too - it probably has no insulation and several openings for hoses.

Back
Top Bottom