California dreamin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha/CA said:
I think those who feel like California is the worst place to live should not visit here either.....just stop at the California border and turn around.  Don't come visit Yosemite, the deserts, San Diego, San Francisco, the California coast line, the giant sequoias, the redwoods; don't come ski at Mammoth.  Don't add to our high volume of traffic, take our campsites or contribute to the lines of visitors at Disneyland.

I get really tired of the California bashing.    There are a lot of places in the US that I detest and would no way live there; let me name a few..........

Marsha~

... and Mt. Lassen, Mt. Shasta, the Trinity Mountains, the Marble Mountain Wilderness, Point Reyes, Lake Tahoe, Squaw Valley, Lake Shasta, the California Delta .....

I began defending California 16 years ago on this forum and finally stopped because those who engage in prejudicial and stereotypical thinking really don't want to hear the good things ... only the bad.

Margi

Been in SoCal for the past 35 years.  Every time we get stuck in traffic or almost run down while walking to our car in a parking lot, we threaten to move.  But where?  Truth is, there aren't many states that have as much to offer.  And honestly, as a retiree, I have the option of avoiding rush hour traffic.  If California is a possibility, there is no better time to move.  Real estate prices are almost reasonable.  Aside from housing, California is such a huge and highly competitive market, many things are actually less expensive. 

One more consideration.  You don't have to winterize the RV.  Which means of course, you get to use it for 12 months.  Even if it's not a four season type. 

Hmmm, I change my mind think I'll move there. Something not having to winterize the rv sounds too good to pass up. May wear my bullet proof vest though !! LOL

The only thing (well, maybe there is more) I have against California is that it's so darned far away.  I enjoyed my 2-3 year stay at China Lake NAF back in the 60's and would love to visit again.  Hopefully, soon...

OK that's it, I'm moving out  :(

Small houses, big government, bigger (higher) taxes, lousy weather, too much traffic, no scenery, nothing to do here.

Put house on the market, sell all the toys, buy cold weather/snow/rain gear and a de-icer for the windshield ;D

Tom said:
OK that's it, I'm moving out  :(

Small houses, big government, bigger (higher) taxes, lousy weather, too much traffic, no scenery, nothing to do here.

Put house on the market, sell all the toys, buy cold weather/snow/rain gear and a de-icer for the windshield ;D

Don't forget lower taxes, less restrictive smog testing of your vehicles, if any,  lower vehicle licensing fees, fewer people, less traffic, less crime and violence, less government intrusion in your business.  Need I say more?

donn said:
Don't forget lower taxes, less restrictive smog testing of your vehicles, if any,  lower vehicle licensing fees, fewer people, less traffic, less crime and violence, less government intrusion in your business.  Need I say more?
Hmmm, so much passion here... You got an ex wife taking you to the cleaners from California?  :eek:

unsinkable777 said:
We just returned from our maiden voyage in our 5th wheel, having spent 7 weeks in California, and loving it!!
I (Karen) have dual Canadian/American citizenship, but my hubby does not. Anyone have any info on whether or not we could buy real estate down there and just move?? OR is there a long, expensive process involved?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
God Bless  :) :)
Karen

P.S. Would the IRS come after me (at age 62) for income tax $$$ ?

CA is one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful State in the Union.  Warm and cold, high mountains and vast ocean it has everything.  We visit and vacation there, good for RV's, motorcycles and all things we like to do.  I have visited Canada and feel you have a wonderful Country and your West Coast is awesome.  What a change it would be for you.  Personally I would never consider property in CA nor relocating there as it is just too crowded and expensive for this simple New Mexican.  An RV visit is about as much as I could stand.  Good luck on your choice and I do understand how seductive that State can be.  If the IRS becomes an issue I'd recommend staying in Canada.

ALL,

Those of you who bash CA because of its regulations should consider thanking CA. 

It was because of CAs first in the nation strict auto emission rules that all vehicles now pollute less and both the FEDS and car companies followed suit.  It was funny with the Auto exhaust pollution because so many cars were sold in CA that the car MFG'ers had to comply or lose so many sales they would become unprofitable.  Some of you may remember when a new car sticker price said CA POLLUTION and there was an extra cost.

Furthermore, many of the other  pollution controls (especially air and water pollution) were first started by CA and later adopted by states and the FEDs.

It was because of CAs pushing NO SMOKING rules in public places (restaurants) that no smoking has drifted across the country to many other states and to federal rules against no smoking.  The city of Palo Alto, CA really started the no smoking in restaurants that finally caught on across the country because, contrary to the current belief, when the city of Palo Alto made smoking illegal in restaurants so many other restaurants in the San Francisco Bay area LOST noticeable amounts of business to the Palo Alto restaurants that the others started their own NO SMOKING policy.

Studies have shown that Californians in general are healthier.  They smoke less, eat better food, exercise more, and fewer overweight folks but as time goes on these habits may change...who knows???

There are many other examples of something CA did and it was adopted by other states or the FED but I cannot think of them now.

For most folks the biggest drawback is that it's X-PEN-SIVE (especially housing and taxes) but so is New York City and many other places in the US.

JerryF

.... less traffic, less crime and violence ....

LOL we live in the boonies; Our 'traffic' comes mainly from the trucks collecting corn, tomatoes and numerous other crops as they navigate the miles of levee roads.

Did I mention we don't have a local police force? CHP occasionally wanders through here after their stop for coffee out on the highway. Being in the unincorporated area of the county, we're officially under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff. While talking to a local retired guys club a few months ago, the sheriff said "you don't have any crime out here, so my guys rarely visit".

jje1960 said:
Hmmm, so much passion here... You got an ex wife taking you to the cleaners from California?  :eek: 

With CA you don't need an EX anything to take you to the cleaners, the state does a good job of that.  A big part of why we left in 2000.  Still have to go back and visit family and yes it can be a great place but is no longer that for us.

Jim, who traded southern CA for a snow shovel and snowmobile  ;D

JerArdra said:
ALL,

Those of you who bash CA because of its regulations should consider thanking CA. 

It was because of CAs first in the nation strict auto emission rules that all vehicles now pollute less and both the FEDS and car companies followed suit.  It was funny with the Auto exhaust pollution because so many cars were sold in CA that the car MFG'ers had to comply or lose so many sales they would become unprofitable.  Some of you may remember when a new car sticker price said CA POLLUTION and there was an extra cost.

Furthermore, many of the other  pollution controls (especially air and water pollution) were first started by CA and later adopted by states and the FEDs.

It was because of CAs pushing NO SMOKING rules in public places (restaurants) that no smoking has drifted across the country to many other states and to federal rules against no smoking.  The city of Palo Alto, CA really started the no smoking in restaurants that finally caught on across the country because, contrary to the current belief, when the city of Palo Alto made smoking illegal in restaurants so many other restaurants in the San Francisco Bay area LOST noticeable amounts of business to the Palo Alto restaurants that the others started their own NO SMOKING policy.

Studies have shown that Californians in general are healthier.  They smoke less, eat better food, exercise more, and fewer overweight folks but as time goes on these habits may change...who knows???

There are many other examples of something CA did and it was adopted by other states or the FED but I cannot think of them now.

For most folks the biggest drawback is that it's X-PEN-SIVE (especially housing and taxes) but so is New York City and many other places in the US.

JerryF

Also free sex, homosexual marriages, illegal immigrants coming into the US to have babies for free and them automatically becoming American citizens on my dime.  Automobile costs double because of the restrictive emission laws.  Oh and please don't forget the gangs bringing their drugs to the rest of the country through Kalifornia.
While I admit that I would not mind living in parts of California, and it is a beautiful place as long as you are north of I80.  There are just too many thing that prevent me from even considering it any more..
BTW I live in a border state that has become overrun with xpat Kalifornians.  They have come, bought/built houses at exhorbinant prices, driving my taxes to the breaking point.  And yes, they have mainly moved to escape the gang violence.  The only problem is, they brought the gangs with them when they brought their kids too.
Now we have the same problems, same over liberal government, same apathy, same out of control government.  Please tell me where I can move that will be cheap, friendly and where I do not have to lock my house up 24/7.

Sounds like a Chevy vs. Ford argument. Always defend your choice where you bought  your homestead.

I have lived in CA, MA, WA and now in FL. No snow, no miserably cold summers or winters, no Hurricanes  ;) only serenity, I think. Haven't even seen a mosquito in 12 years where I live.

Just trying to get the CA haters away from this topic.  :)

Carson FL

"Please tell me where I can move that will be cheap, friendly and where I do not have to lock my house up 24/7."

Antarctica....  Send me a post card.  :eek:  Just pokin fun, don't attack please! I'm over 50, just trying to be part of the solution, not the problem!  The 70's were cool though!

LOL Carson, methinks someone is just having a bad day.

jje1960 said:
"Please tell me where I can move that will be cheap, friendly and where I do not have to lock my house up 24/7."

Antarctica....  Send me a post card.  :eek:  Just pokin fun, don't attack please! I'm over 50, just trying to be part of the solution, not the problem!  The 70's were cool though!

Embezzle about $10 Million from a financial firm and get put in a Federal Low Risk Detention Center, aka Country Club, and you can live well for no cost to you, great health care, friendly neighbors, hi-speed internet, and various other amenities.  You won't even need to cook.  Parking is a problem though.

Some of the discussion will drive folks from CA and from the forum  :eek: I need to split this stuff from the original subject, but it'll take a bit of untangling  ???

BTW I've temporarily locked it while I sort out the mess.

Sorry folks for letting this get out of hand and overrun the original discussion. It's now in it's own topic.

P.S. A number of us, myself included, contributed to the off-topic discussion  :-[

Back
Top Bottom