removing wall paper on rv wall board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muro

Hello need advice to safely remove added wall strips and paper in our new trailer.  Our replacement travel trailer came in with a different decor and wall paper than the earlier 2012 decor placed over the colored wall board. They covered over half of the v nose kitchen area which looks really tacky and placed wall paper stripes around middle of slide above couch area. We really liked what we origionally had and really hate what the change!!  Worried removing paper over paper covered wall board!  Any sugestions out there?

you might use some steam. But I would think the adhesive residue would still be visible

When I was a kid helping my parents remove wallpaper we, at first, rented a wallpaper steamer.  It was a 12" by 18" metal panel with a lip around it (looked like a shallow baking pan) that connected to the steamer.  You just held it to the wall for a minute or two with the Steam going, then removed it, and a wide putty knife would remove it easily.  One person steamed and another used the putty knife.

Later we bought a wetting-agent wallpaper-remover at a paint store that you brushed on maybe 2 or 3 times quickly, waited a short time, and then the wide putty knife would be able to peel it off quite well.

Neither method worked very well with a WATERPROOF vinyl wallpaper so I hope you do not have vinyl wallpaper.  For this type you must get it started to peel off (often quite difficult to get it started) and connect the wallpaper to a real live horse that can put its full 550 foot-pounds (one HP) to pulling it off.  JUST KIDDING about the horse but it usually is difficult to pull it off.

My Mother loved wallpaper so often changed from one wallpaper to another where our neighbors changer paint colors.  In one house our kitchen had a wallpaper ceiling and, by the way, it looked GREAT.  It really was a designer's kitchen!

JerryF

Thank you for both of you people responding! The wall board is vinyl or some plastic substance as well as the added wall paper strips and half way up the kitchen v nose area
If I mess up I will have to wallpaper over same area. I am not sure but another site showed using baking soda solution to remove the adhesive?

If the unit was older I would not be so concerned.

Thanks again

My wife used the "Goo Gone Extreme" product to soften and remove wallpaper/adhesive in our RV's rear bedroom after we bought it.  Once all the adhesive remnants were gone (a fair amount of elbow grease required) she primed and painted the walls.  Looks pretty nice now.

NOTE:  For many years wallpaper was put on with water-soluble paste.  Check this out with a store that sells wallpaper.  If yours was you will not have a problem.  First try the wetting solution!

JerryF

Back
Top Bottom