EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: What size/age of camper should I be looking for for my 2006 GMC 2500 Crewcab?  (Read 2464 times)

72Blazerod

• ---
  • What is that thing?
I have never had a slide-in truck camper before but thought I might start looking at them this year.  I have a totally stock 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew cab with a Duramax.  I believe my box is 6.5' long (not an 8' long bed).  I see a bunch of old campers in the classifieds that need work for cheap.  But some look mighty long to be putting into a shortbed truck.  What size of camper would you guys suggest?  What measurements should I take of my truck or the camper? I don't want anything fancy, just something to keep me warm and dry in the summer and early fall.  Any tips, hints or advice you could give would be appreciated.  I would hate to rush out and buy one and find out it won't work.

Thanks!

RoyM

• ---
The 6.5' bed is a problem. Don't go over 8' and make sure the center of gravity is ahead of the axle, otherwise you will not enjoy driving it. As far as age goes, it's a wash. Make sure there is no water or structural damage As far as a fixer upper, how much work are you prepared to do?
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

72Blazerod

• ---
  • What is that thing?
I don't mind some fixing up, just don't really want to have to replace structure or re-skin a camper.  Thanks for your advice.

Rod

Powerstroke2000

• ---
The majority of older campers where made for the 8' truck box, and in most cases (unless it's a custom made unit) you have to go newer, as there are now campers made for short box trucks.    When originally looking for a camper myself, I found more available (Arctic Fox) for short boxes than long box!    With your truck I believe you could handle anything up to a 10' camper, but it would be good to find out your GVW or GVCW and go from there.
2008 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
2014 Honda CRV (Towed)
'Air Force One' car braking system.