What size/age of camper should I be looking for for my 2006 GMC 2500 Crewcab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

72Blazerod

I have never had a slide-in truck camper before but thought I might start looking at them this year.  I have a totally stock 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew cab with a Duramax.  I believe my box is 6.5' long (not an 8' long bed).  I see a bunch of old campers in the classifieds that need work for cheap.  But some look mighty long to be putting into a shortbed truck.  What size of camper would you guys suggest?  What measurements should I take of my truck or the camper? I don't want anything fancy, just something to keep me warm and dry in the summer and early fall.  Any tips, hints or advice you could give would be appreciated.  I would hate to rush out and buy one and find out it won't work.

Thanks!

The 6.5' bed is a problem. Don't go over 8' and make sure the center of gravity is ahead of the axle, otherwise you will not enjoy driving it. As far as age goes, it's a wash. Make sure there is no water or structural damage As far as a fixer upper, how much work are you prepared to do?

The majority of older campers where made for the 8' truck box, and in most cases (unless it's a custom made unit) you have to go newer, as there are now campers made for short box trucks.    When originally looking for a camper myself, I found more available (Arctic Fox) for short boxes than long box!    With your truck I believe you could handle anything up to a 10' camper, but it would be good to find out your GVW or GVCW and go from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom