Center of Gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jedi99

When viewing camper specifications, they talk about centre of gravity.  I'm new to campers and was wondering where the measurement for center of gravity is taken from?

Thanks

From Wikpedia:

In physics, the center of mass or barycenter of a body is a point in space where, for the purpose of various calculations, the entire mass of a body is concentrated. The center of gravity is a related point where the gravitational weight of a body acts as if it were concentrated.

In reference to truck campers, it would seem to be a distance from the front of the camper to determine if the cg falls on or in front of the rear axle. But I don't know that to be a fact.

It's the distance from the front of the floor - i.e. the distance behind the front of the pickup bed - where the camper balances if placed on a fulcrum.  This should be above or in front of the pickup's rear axle.

I found this helpful,

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14416283/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm

I was told by the service people that TC's marked with a CG sticker are put on by hand by the newest hired employees and are not to be trusted. All 8 foot long beds have the same fulcrum point over the wheels. All truck campers manufactured now use the same distance from the front of the bed to the real axle to figure the campers CG. Don't worry about new camper CG. They are designed to have the CG over or just forward of the rear axle on all full sized trucks.

Do not use a full sized truck camper in a short bed truck. A six foot bed requires a camper designed for it's shorter length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom