1997 Satelite Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farrout

Having read most of the posts on this forum about Satelite dishes, I still have to ask for advice about a specific situation.

I have a 1997 Monaco equippd with the original Satelite  dish.  there is no name on it but the LNB is made by California Amplifier Model # 160070.  It looks like a single band LNB.  Between the provious coach owner any myself, the system has not been operated in the last 6 years.  Before that, I have no idea.

When I got this RV, it had the 1996 vintage TVs in it.  I replaced the front TV with a flat screen but have left the 1996 unit in the back (mostly because I have not found something to replace it that fits in the cabinetry etc)

From what I have read (if this thing still works), it will only pick up one Non-HD signal at a time and I will have to point it and elevate it to each situation.  I know that I would have to get a converter box for either Dish or Direct.

How can I tell if this thing works?

Is it even worth it to keep it?

Is it better to replace it with another dish (for Direct) of a self pointing dome unit for Dish?

I have a 1991 with the huge dish on the roof and not useing it. This year I am having it removed at the sane time I have a new roof put in-place. I am also removing the radio and CB antennas and air horn. I will up date to more modern systems and locate them else where.

Tough question. Is this an open face dish or a dome?    If it's not a budget buster, the easiest thing to do would be to replace it with a new one, even a basic model. That way you know it works, you will know how to set it up and use it and you know you can get a current model satellite receiver that works with it. And you could get an automatic aiming model if the budget allows...

On the other hand, you could replace the LNB in the old one if you needed to, and that's less $ than a new dish or dome.

Hi,
If you're talking a manually set up dish, then I'd just chuck it since they're essentially free from either Direct or Dish.
If its an automatic, Direct might work ok. I believe that Dish (as a practical matter) requires multiple LMB's even for standard programming.
My personal choice was a Wingard Travel'r (~$1,300) that I installed myself; works for both standard and HD programming on Dish out of the box.
Hope this helps,
Ernie

If it is a Winegard, (most likely), it ought to still work fine.  No converter box necessary, the sat receiver takes care of everything.  You need either the litlle box which will have a small square LCD on it and a square button.  This often is powered by a 9v batt.  Probably need to replace the batt.  Easy, 2 screws, faceplate pops off, battery is right there.  If you don't have this, you need a chart, that tells you how many turns to get to proper elevation.  In FL it is around 19.  However there is a chart with elevation equates to turns. 

Now as to the LNB, might need to be replaced.  Do you have sat receiver now?  If so,, hook it up, try to tune in. 

What does the inside look like?  White(ish) handle with crank and a ring with comapss degrees, plus a seperate ring to point north?

This is what I use.  I have TIVO, can record 2 shows and watch a recorded show.  Plus with my second receiver watch yet another show thru the 2nd receiver.  All with that dish and a single LNB.  (with 2 feeds)  You will likely have one run of coax down from the roof, you would need to add the second run.  (I ordered a new LNB but the original one worked fine and had two connectors)  Now I have a spare.

The free one from Direct will not be the one for the roof, but one for a tripod you need to set up.  These are tricky without some extra tools.  We will get to them later.

Assuming, as others have, that what you are describing is an open faced 18" antenna that is manually cranked up and down then this unit should work if the LNB works (and it should).  If you subscribe to DirecTV then that antenna is also quite practical as all of the SD TV programming comes from only one satellite.  I would not consider this to be a workable solution for any other service unless you don't mind not being able to tune in all of the available channels.  However, that type antenna will pick up the Dish Network HD TV programming from 1 of the 3 satellites.

Before worrying about if it needs replacing or maintenance, would suggest trying it.  Do you have a sat service currently?  If so, plug a receiver into the unit and point it at appropriate, if the SD service and plan are suitable for you, your in like flynn!  We just don't feel the need for more than SD (don't even have HD in the house...) so SD in the trailer is fine (for us), with Directv we have more channels than we watch, that's for sure!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom