Engine noise on Fraightliner Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royal

I am leaving in two days to St Louis to purchase a Leisure Travel class B diesel Mercedes. My wife is concerned about the noise inside the cab while we are driving.  We drove a Ford Pleasure Way on a test drive and she felt it was too loud for her. Is the diesel any quieter?

Royal said:
I am leaving in two days to St Louis to purchase a Leisure Travel class B diesel Mercedes. My wife is concerned about the noise inside the cab while we are driving.  We drove a Ford Pleasure Way on a test drive and she felt it was too loud for her. Is the diesel any quieter?

I can tell you this ... when I purchased my 2012 Winnebago ERA  on the Mercedes/Sprinter chassis in November I was pleasantly surprised at just how quiet it is. It is the 3.0 L diesel which I suspect will be the same as yours. Yes ... it is a little noisier than my Toyota Sienna van ... but when I am sitting at idle with nothing on ... like the radio ... I hardly hear the engine. This engine does not give off the same noise as the older clanking diesels of years ago.

I think your wife can travel in relative peace and quiet.

Royal said:
Thank you for your comments. It makes me feel better about my decision.

Roy

Hi Roy ... did you buy new or used. When you get a chance maybe you can post some pictures and/or provide some info on your class B. I posted some information in this thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=4697.60 ... but few have posted much information.

Happy travels with you Class B.

Karsty

Roy, please tell your wife she hurt my feelings comparing a Ford to a Mercedes.  You'll both be pleasantly surprised at how quiet the diesel is.

The newer diesel engines have several injection events per cycle, which reduces the noise dramatically. My old engine has one big BANG and you can sure tell the difference.

Skyking.........your engine might have one big bang....but its a damn sight easier to work on or fix......

The newer diesel engines have several injection events per cycle,

Could you explain that further? It seems to me the engine is either a 2 cycle or a 4 cycle and has the corresponding number of "events" whether the engine is newer or older. Old Detroit diesels were two cycle design and fired every revolution, but they don't make those any more. All the others have always been 4 cycle designs and they fire every other revolution. Even if the fuel is injected in stages, there is still only one "bang".

Sure thing,  Gary.
My mechanical injection engine, and all the older ones build pressure with a plunger pump for each cylinder. Once this pressure reaches a certain threshhold, the injector "Pops" open. This is referred to as the "pop" pressure and is one of the things done at a mechanical injector overhaul.
The injection event continues till the pressure falls below the pop pressure, the injector closes. One event.
On the newer electronically controlled common rail engines, the Rail pressure is constant and available at all injectors, all the time. they are all hooked together, hence the term "common rail".
All the timing is now done electronically. So instead of picking the best average place for all conditions,  IE accelerating, light loads, decelerating, the common rail engine can change both the timing, duration, and even the number of injection events per cycle.
Instead of one big squirt, it can deliver the fuel in three or more distinct pulses, spreading the combustion event out for maximum efficiency.
One of the big things you notice right off is the lack of diesel "rattle" or noisiness. The new cars you can hardly tell are diesel, it is because of this. Noise is just another form of wasted energy.
The 305/555 Cummins Common Rail is a 3 event engine.

Now that's interesting, Skyking.  I always wondered where the rattle went.  My Sprinter is really quiet. 

Yup, my first 1997 Cummins could shake the tiles off of your roof as I passed by. The 2010 in my MH is amazingly quiet. New software package, new injection timing, and a relocated timing chain all helped to quiet the clatter.  Not much different than gassers for noise these days.

Back
Top Bottom