EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Side-ways Swing away Bike racks for around $200  (Read 3665 times)

RedneckExpress

• ---
  • Find America, leave the freeway!
    • The Journey of the Redneck Express
Side-ways Swing away Bike racks for around $200
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
Well, I've been using a harbor freight special for hauling my bikes behind the camper for the last couple of trips and while it's worked, the straight drop down position of the bikes always required a second body to get them back up and pinned back into place and after the Eastern Oregon Ramblin' journey and a couple of other trips, the little rubber mounts have pretty much had it.

So, now, I'm looking for a new 2-3 bike replacement rack that instead of tipping down, swings out to the side and will work behind a Truck Camper.

Any Suggestions?

For the record, whatever bike rack that gets used is already set back roughly 12" or so behind the camper because I have a 48" long extension.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:48:53 PM by RedneckExpress »

RedneckExpress

• ---
Re: Side-ways Swing away Bike racks for around $200
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
Well, I solved this problem already :)

I ended up ordering a Surco OSI DBR-300

DBR-300 Swing Reciever

From amazon.com for $225 with free shipping and I found a Truck Camper Owner review by Mark W. Ingalls on the very product :).

maverickbbd

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
When I was looking for a rack I looked at the back of a bicycle cop's car.  This is what they had and I got one and have been happy.  I can raise and lower them myself without difficulty.

http://www.softride.com/rack-products

RedneckExpress

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
Here's a couple pictures of the bike rack I originally had (click to see full-size).

(http://lh6.ggpht.com/-7iQlbqvCsP8/Tr39Z1fZwBI/AAAAAAAAAc8/5mxJfrnjEd4/P1110411_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800)  (http://lh6.ggpht.com/-mGFjVko45W0/Tr4vRQSKtXI/AAAAAAAAA2U/o7FvSaFMg9c/P1110582_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800)

As you may or may not be able to see, the bike's in the tipped down position were still in the way of me being able to step directly up onto the step on the hitch and into my camper. 

Hence why I'm after the swing away variety, I can push the bikes to the side and be able to get in and out without problem.

Flite56

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
I purchased this rack from Costco last year on sale for $139.99, included free shipping. Came with the receiver lock and 10 foot cable lock for the bikes. It works like a scissor and folds out of way with a  little bit of sideways lattitude. The bikes stay at the same level when it swings so there is nothing to lift.  My sister followed us on a long trip last summer and said the bikes never moved at all.

Advantage® glideAWAY®
4-bike Carrier with 10' Cable
and Hitch Lock
Available in 2" or 1.25"
Hitch Receiver Sizes

RedneckExpress

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
The glide away isn't quite the same, it uses an accordian style dual hinge which pushes the bikes back, where as the OSI unit I have swings completely away from the vehicle and to the side, it also didn't need a cable lock as it uses a large metal sandwich mechanism to clamp the bikes in place and has a key locked knob. 

Hosted by Over The Network