Side-ways Swing away Bike racks for around $200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I've been using a harbor freight special for hauling my bikes behind the camper for the last couple of trips and while it's worked, the straight drop down position of the bikes always required a second body to get them back up and pinned back into place and after the Eastern Oregon Ramblin' journey and a couple of other trips, the little rubber mounts have pretty much had it.

So, now, I'm looking for a new 2-3 bike replacement rack that instead of tipping down, swings out to the side and will work behind a Truck Camper.

Any Suggestions?

For the record, whatever bike rack that gets used is already set back roughly 12" or so behind the camper because I have a 48" long extension.

Here's a couple pictures of the bike rack I originally had (click to see full-size).

As you may or may not be able to see, the bike's in the tipped down position were still in the way of me being able to step directly up onto the step on the hitch and into my camper. 

Hence why I'm after the swing away variety, I can push the bikes to the side and be able to get in and out without problem.

I purchased this rack from Costco last year on sale for $139.99, included free shipping. Came with the receiver lock and 10 foot cable lock for the bikes. It works like a scissor and folds out of way with a  little bit of sideways lattitude. The bikes stay at the same level when it swings so there is nothing to lift.  My sister followed us on a long trip last summer and said the bikes never moved at all.

Advantage? glideAWAY?
4-bike Carrier with 10' Cable
and Hitch Lock
Available in 2" or 1.25"
Hitch Receiver Sizes

The glide away isn't quite the same, it uses an accordian style dual hinge which pushes the bikes back, where as the OSI unit I have swings completely away from the vehicle and to the side, it also didn't need a cable lock as it uses a large metal sandwich mechanism to clamp the bikes in place and has a key locked knob. 

Well, I've been using a harbor freight special for hauling my bikes behind the camper for the last couple of trips and while it's worked, the straight drop down position of the bikes always required a second body to get them back up and pinned back into place and after the Eastern Oregon Ramblin' journey and a couple of other trips, the little rubber mounts have pretty much had it.

So, now, I'm looking for a new 2-3 bike replacement rack that instead of tipping down, swings out to the side and will work behind a Truck Camper.

Any Suggestions?

For the record, whatever bike rack that gets used is already set back roughly 12" or so behind the camper because I have a 48" long extension.
Based on your requirements, it sounds like you need a swing-away bike rack that can hold 2-3 bikes and is compatible with your Truck Camper. Here are a few options you might want to consider:
  1. Thule EasyFold XT 2: This bike rack is designed to be easy to use and can fold down to a compact size when not in use. It can hold two bikes and has a weight capacity of up to 130 lbs. The rack can also be tilted down for easier access to the rear of your vehicle.
  2. Yakima FullSwing: The Yakima FullSwing is a swing-away bike rack that can hold up to 4 bikes. It can tilt down for easy access to the back of your vehicle and has a weight capacity of up to 150 lbs.
  3. Kuat NV Base 2.0: The Kuat NV Base 2.0 is a high-end bike rack that can hold up to 2 bikes. It features a foot-assisted pivot system that makes it easy to swing the rack away from your vehicle. The rack can also tilt down for easier access to the rear of your vehicle.
Before making a decision, you should make sure the rack you choose is compatible with your Truck Camper and the bikes you plan to transport. It's also important to consider the weight of the rack itself, as well as the weight capacity of your camper's hitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom