Towin capacity of Honda Pilot 2 wheel vs 4 wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mreman

My son is thinking of buying a Honda Pilot to tow a 1900lb cargo trailer, he likes the 2 wheel drive but the rating is 3500 lb's; and if he later buys a heavier trailer

it may be short on ability. The 4 wheel drive has a rating of 4500 lb's and would allow a cushion of safety. I read out west in our mountains we should have a cushion

of 15-20%; meaning a 3500 capacity would be cut by 700 lb's less or 900 lb's less.

Do you know what makes the difference for the 1000 lb's that Honda rates its vehicles, is it greater braking disc. and pads, larger dia. axles, heavier springs. etc.

Thanks for your help.

[email protected]

The higher rating of the 4 wheel drive is probably a combination of things like gear ratio, heavier springs, and possibly higher axle, wheel and tire weight ratings. If by your statement, "driving in our western mountains", you mean California, the requirement for trailer brakes is anything with a gross vehicle weight over 1500 pounds.

1600 lbs is a lot of "cushion" when we are only talking 3500 lbs total capacity.  But if he is considering a bigger trailer in the not-too-distant future, than more capacity is a must.

Thanks for the information, it looks like he can reduce his overall weight by eliminating gear he brings with him; so that's going to be his first go round. Second is to replace the Axel and add the breaks to the trailer. Then he can stay with the 2 wheel Honda Pilot @ the 3500 towing capacity.

If you have any more info that will help him make a decision let me know.

Thanks again, John

A 1900 lb trailer really should have brakes to avoid pushing the tow vehicle around.  Some jurisdictions will require it at that weight (over 1500 bs, while others will allow up to 2000).

The gear ratio is the same on the two rigs. The AWD system becomes moot at any speed above 30 MPH, it is effectively a FWD rig at speed. I can't think of a good reason for the two different ratings, honestly.
We towed a 2500 pound tent trailer for 3  seasons with ours. It served well. If you get a heavier trailer be sure to look into an equalizer hitch; tongue weight/sag was the most noticeable aspect when towing. Other than that, it was as if the trailer was not there. The turn radius of the Pilot is very handy when towing. i could put that trailer anywhere it would fit.

Back
Top Bottom