A&E Awning Alignment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-0168

Having trouble aligning the 2 support bars that fit inside each other in the rolled up position on my A & E awning. I can't get enough adjustment by loosening the brackets on the side wall.
Any suggestions on how to correct problem?

Scott  :)

Scott, don't know if this is your problem, but I had an issue with the support legs not closing together on my former mh and found that it was just a matter of sliding the awning fabric a little further in one direction on the roller tube. After doing that, the support legs lined right up.

Dennis, that's the only cure I've ever been able to use to solve the problem. also.  I keep telling myself that the next time it happens, I will put a small screw through the fabric (into the channel) so that it won't happen again, but I always fail to remember to do it.

Great idea Lou, but in my case also, it would be something I probably would never remember to do.....tough to get old and forgetfull. ::)

Water Dog said:
Scott, don't know if this is your problem, but I had an issue with the support legs not closing together on my former mh and found that it was just a matter of sliding the awning fabric a little further in one direction on the roller tube. After doing that, the support legs lined right up.

Dennis, you described my problem to a T. I'll try it tomorrow in the daylight!

Scott  :) :)

I didn't put a screw in it, but I did mark the position with a magic marker once I got it aligned.  Now I just slide the awning back to the marks while the awning is down and it rolls right up.

The A&E installation kit actually has 2 small 1/4" drive head , self drilling ( not self tapping ) screws approx 1/4" long in the bag, just for that reason/use. Once a new installation is done, you roll it out and back up 2 or 3 times to make sure it closes good and is straight, then when closed and your happy with it, you install screws approx. 2"- 4" in from ends.  Be sure to start slow to avoid driver or screw slipping and going in to the skin itself. Seen it done! Put a dab of sealant over head of screw after.

We have an electric-real pain in the a*s. I loath to loosen the lag screws as they have no anchors. I have ranted about this before-mass production before quality/strength. I have tried to slide the fabric, but it just doesn't move much. This thing is huge-probably a good 16 feet long.
We now don't fool with proper stowage while parked. When we leave, one of us gets on a ladder and pulls one of the arms as the other hits the retract button. Even then the bottom of one of the arms won't stow properly and we safety wire it closed. Oddly enough, the electric was an "upgrade" from the manual. I'll take a manual awning any day. Perhaps some of this was useful-either way thanks for allowing my rant. ;D

Motor said:
The A&E installation kit actually has 2 small 1/4" drive head , self drilling ( not self tapping ) screws approx 1/4" long in the bag, just for that reason/use. Once a new installation is done, you roll it out and back up 2 or 3 times to make sure it closes good and is straight, then when closed and your happy with it, you install screws approx. 2"- 4" in from ends.  Be sure to start slow to avoid driver or screw slipping and going in to the skin itself. Seen it done! Put a dab of sealant over head of screw after.

Motor, I believe the two screws you mention are to secure the awning fabric to the awning rail that is mounted to the top of the rv. The problem I had with mine is that the fabric had slid in the roller tube. With the top of the awning secure and the outer part being able to slide, sometimes they get out of square. As Lou mentioned, a couple of additional screws in the roller tube would probably be a good idea.

I found that if I don't have the pull strap in the center when I put the awning up it pulls it to one side and causes the problem.
I used a marker to put a small mark at the center so I know where to position the strap.
I fought the problem for 3 or 4 years until I found the solution.

There certainly seems to be more than one way to skin the cat.

Centering the awning on the roller each time, and centering the pull strap each time, would certainly help keep it centered while closing.  Maybe a combination of all the ideas here will do the trick.

A permanent locking of the awning to the roller with a small screw (as it is at the top) will be my choice if/when I can remember to do it.

I did move the front lag bolts in my first attempt to solve the problem, so will maybe have to adjust them back to their original spot.   

the fabric shouldn't slide in the tracks on the roller, the plastic is supposed to be left long enough to run all the way out the ends of the roller tube and then be curled back into the roller tube before the torsion spring assembly is put on. i'd get it centered and put some very small screws, maybe even pre drill and use wood screws instead of machine screws so there's no head to wear through the fabric.

installing my new awning last month, it didn't take long to realize if the fabric isn't centered on the tube AND inbetween the arms in the track at the top of the wall, it's not gonna roll up straight. that's why the legs don't 'fasten' together correctly or why it doesn't roll up straight.

and yes, you should use screw one screw through the awning fabric where the plastic rod that's sewed into the fabric slides in the track, one about an inch or inch and a half from each edge holds it nicely in place  :)

OK I guess I spoke to soon. I can't get my awning centered on the tube. I've pulled and pulled. It will not budge! So yesterday when I rolled it up due to high wind, the arms and awning on the tube are way off center again. Don't see any screw or anything holding the awning on the roller.
Any suggestions again?

Scott-0168 said:
OK I guess I spoke to soon. I can't get my awning centered on the tube. I've pulled and pulled. It will not budge! So yesterday when I rolled it up due to high wind, the arms and awning on the tube are way off center again. Don't see any screw or anything holding the awning on the roller.
Any suggestions again?

Interestingly, I had the same problem centering mine.  I just couldn't pull it.  Whatever possessed me to go to the other end and push, I'll never know, but it worked.  I could push the awning, but not pull it.  Go figure...

hard to believe it would easier to push fabric than pull it huh, LOL. when i took the old piece of fabric out of the roller tube, i stood on the fabric and pushed the tube. i know you can't do that, but it was a tough to start slide. the piece of plastic they sew into the fabric to go into those slots on the roller tube is pretty tough though. oh and i'm sure you've seen there are two of them (or should be) in the roller. if you can find a small punch like item to put in the slot at the end of the fabric/plastic you might be able to tap it and slide it over. you really shouldn't have to move it much at all so it shouldn't be too difficult.

good luck!

Molaker said:
Interestingly, I had the same problem centering mine.  I just couldn't pull it.  Whatever possessed me to go to the other end and push, I'll never know, but it worked.  I could push the awning, but not pull it.  Go figure...

Its windy here again today in Florida. I'll try your push trick tomorrow!

Molaker said:

I think that part of our problem here is that what we are calling centering is really alignment of the fabric on the roller with the placement of the fabric between the arms at the top (RV wall) end.  If the fabric attached to the RV is not centered between the arms (mine is NOT perfect), then it will not roll up straight if it isn't placed on the roller with the same offset.

It still helps to achieve a consistent roll-up when I remember to center the pull strap.  It helps maintain equal tension (end-to-end) and prevents twist from pulling (left-or-right).  I've certainly learned something here. 

Just Lou said:
I think that part of our problem here is that what we are calling centering is really alignment of the fabric on the roller with the placement of the fabric between the arms at the top (RV wall) end.  If the fabric attached to the RV is not centered between the arms (mine is NOT perfect), then it will not roll up straight if it isn't placed on the roller with the same offset.

It still helps to achieve a consistent roll-up when I remember to center the pull strap.  It helps maintain equal tension (end-to-end) and prevents twist from pulling (left-or-right).  I've certainly learned something here.
What Lou said is correct.  Actually, I did a trial and error process of moving the awning in the roller slot a bit then rolling it up.  Then unrolling and readjusting as necessary until I finally got it to roll up correctly and the braces stored correctly.  Then I marked the position of the awning in the roller slot.  Haven't had a problem since.

what Lou says is indeed correct, so scott that means if you can't get it to slide in roller tube, you should be able to slide it in the top track to line it up with the roller, that too should fix the problem. don't forget to put the screws in the edge of the fabric/plastic bead to hold it in place!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom