I'm wanting opinions? or Ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Crazy

I am currently an electrical contractor with a Master's Card.  Since I am self employed, the thought of total retirement is "SLIM" at best but I would like to travel.  I am thinking that there may be an opening for such work camping doing electrical work for lot and $$$$$.  Now if anyone thinks that must be licensed in the state of work, that is true for NEW work but not maintenance.  Has anyone heard of such a market and if so where do you think I should go to inquire?

Sounds like it could work. I dont know of any one source for jobs like that but i would call parks where i want to travel.

We have been in a lot of parks/campgrounds in the last five years (250+ nights per year). We see a lot of electrical repairs but have never seen an electrician doing them, except a rare time when an outside electrician was working on a distribution panel. Normally we see the owner, or a general purpose maintenance person doing the repairs. They might be working on a picnic table repair or cutting grass right after they fix a campground electrical pedestal. The few we have gotten to know are workampers who work for site, not site and money. Perhaps a very large operation might have an electrician on staff. That said, it never hurts to ask. The worse that can happen is the park can say no thanks. Good luck in your effort.

I don't think most campground owners have enough electrical work to pay for a fulltime electrician on their crew, but they would probably love to have a qualified one if they also did other work. You probably wouldn't get paid what you are worth, but that is perhaps negotiable for extra pay when you do tasks that require your skills.  And you might find a campground that has a backlog of electrical work or some special projects in mind.

I've done quite a bit of electrical work while workamping - owners are usually happy to have you once they get confidence in your skill level (I'm an experienced amateur rather than a pro). It's usually pretty basic stuff, though - finding broken wires and bad connections, verifying good neutrals and grounds, replacing outlets, etc.  I've found and cleaned up more than a few "butcher jobs" in older campgrounds too, but never got much pay for it.

Plumbing skills are handy too.

Since this a 'thinking out of the box' post I'll add my 2 cents worth. It typically is always out of the box.  :D

A couple years ago, I volunteered for a Habitat project when I was traveling in the RV. The original idea was for me to just have some fun plying my jack-of-all trades, master-of-none skills and also do something charitable.  One of the actually contractors on the project recognized that I could do quite a bit more than the volunteers and offered me a paying job on his crew. I was basically an apprentice and/or gopher, but it freed up one or two of  his skilled employees to do his regular business. There wasn't that much "$$$$$" involved, but it paid the fuel for lots more road miles.  The point is that opportunities exist and your thoughts on the possibilities are valid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom