Full-timing while working full time in Southern California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jagnweiner said:
Jake-

A forum member who goes by "Boundiful" was doing what you describe in the San Diego area last year.  I haven't heard much from him lately, but if you search his posts, you can get some idea of what he went through.  It doesn't seem real appealing, but I understand your reasoning.

WOW! I read all his posts. A good percentage of them detail a lot about his attitude toward the situation. I have to say, the fact that he made it, what, 6 months (as far as his posts start/end) in a bounder is awesome... on top of being unemployed. I think he had different motivations from me. He was a 54 year old guy who could not pay for his housing, didn't want to live in rv, but had no where else to go. I can stay where I'm at pretty much as long as I'd like (paying 200 a month in rent, not bad), but I WANT to move in to an RV. That would be ideal. Over an appartment. Reason:

I am paying rent in my cousin's house, and am used to living with family. I've lived on my own in the past, and lasted a year alone before I realized I might lose my job (poor work ethic back then, dealing with major depression), and could end up homeless. I quit before I was fired and moved back with my mom. That lasted about a year and a half before things went sour at home, and I decided I was going to try living in my honda civic hatchback so that I could have a roof over my head while I worked my minimum wage job in Oakland, CA.

I have to say, the week that I lived on my own in my car was liberating. I felt free. I could wake up anywhere, and sleep anywhere (i did talk to police about info on homeless shelters for showers, and maybe a bed here and there, and where I could sleep peacefully in my car out of the way of people who it would bother). I didn't FEEL homeless, even though I was. I felt... unhinged. I was outside more (because sitting in your car for your day off is no fun), got more sunshine, and got to smell the fresh air, and window shop, and just enjoy myself. I had never really experienced anything like it, even when I lived in my own apartment. And the best part was that I wasn't relying on anyone else to take care of me.

A week later my cousin here in SoCal called me up and told me she didn't want me living in my car and wanted me to come live with her. I was wary to accept because I had a job in Oakland already, and I was scared I'd end up in the same situation I was in with my mother (fighting, clean this, clean that [i'm not too messy, but you know how it is, when you live with your parents you appreciate nothing]). I was also scared I'd feel like I'd let her take care of me and forgo taking care of myself like I usually do with people who help me out.

Well, having lived here for awhile, I do take care of myself, but I completely lost the feeling of freedom the first day I moved in, and have not regained it since. I'm not motivated to go out and live my own life. I don't make friends, I don't take care of myself, and the most I have really done for myself in the past 8 months living with her is get a job and think about how I'm going to get on my own feet again. I guess that was the point, though, when she invited me down here.

I'm ready to live on my own again, and have, for the last 5 months or so, been promising my cousin (for my own sake, she wouldn't ask me to leave) that if I am not out of here in a few months, it's because I'm becoming complacent, and I may move back in to my civic just to kick myself in the butt and figure out things from there. She hates hearing that.

About two months ago I modified my plan. I could probably get the same feeling of freedom and security I had in my civic, and get a full sized bed, a shower, stove, and bathroom, if I could make it work in an RV. So that's where I am right now. I'm just trying to put control of my life back in to my own hands, and not have the worry that if things go south with work, I'll be on the streets. On top of... it's going to be fun!

Now, I'm considering finding a job in San Diego. I read that "San Diego is one of more and more cities that prohibit parking any kind of recreational vehicle in the street overnight, usually defined as 2 am to 4 am. Currently, however, it is the stated policy of the San Diego police department NOT to enforce this law, and many RVs park curbside at night." (http://www.homeofourfathers.com/lisbeth/camping.htm)

I've decided I want a 20' at most. I want to be able to walk away from my rv and not worry about tickets. When I get a higher paying job, I'll upgrade my size and pay for parking for sure.

The only thing better than an RV for a permanent residence for me would be a re purposed warehouse that I decorate however I want, make as many rooms as I want, ride my electric scooter in, do cartwheels from one side to the other, have swing in... there's so much... but for now, an RV. (Ya, I'm a big dreamer xP)

I hate to be rude but it is people like you that give rving a bad name. Full-timing is a good lifestyle and you can do it but do it right. If you have to work 2 jobs or 1 full-time and 1 part-time or move to a different area of the country to make it work then do it.We have always found jobs no matter where we were in the U.S. Some jobs might be minimum wage and some below but we always paid our own way. I know the economy is bad but there are ways to do things LEGAL.Sorry for the rant.

jakecg said:
Bob, do you know if a a person acting as resident security would actively be patroling for hours? or would they just be there to keep an ear out?
That's for you to ask --and you might find something that would be mutually beneficial. Earning one's keep helps one's attitude. Oh, living in your auto wasn't illegal, parking an RV on the street usually is.

If you're a member of a faith group there might be one that needs a resident janitor in exchange for elect & water. With a macerator [Google it,]you don't need a dump station as it will pump up to 300' away and 20' of elevation. One can usually find a toilet within that range to pump into.

Redbus, I'll never hate on someone for their opinion. Thanks for expressing it. I'll consider your opinion when I decide where I park for the night.

Some cities in cali have specific laws against sleeping over night in your RV on public property. Other cities Will allow RV's 20' and under to be parked on the street as if they were a normal car (not some neighbor hoods, though).

Fraternal organizations like the Elks & Moose often have RV sites that you could rent at low cost for a week then move to another club. . .then move again to keep relations copacetic.

I believe that there was a thread recently about a homeless area in So. Cal. that campers went to?  I think it was a military base or something like that at one time...anyway, if someone remembers the thread they could direct you to it.  Free, maybe not completely safe, but legal place to park!  JMO
Good Luck,
Mikie

Thanks you two. Getting a lot of alternative ideas to my original. Should help me keep it pro without feeling like  I'm bound to one place

Jakecg,

It's interesting that Redbus brought up a subject that I thought about this morning while in the shower.  Back in the 1960s there weren't as many campgrounds and RVing was just getting started in earnest.  We often camped in out-of-the-way places back then when we were traveling around the country on vacations.  The first time we encountered true anti-RV sentiment was in Bar Harbor ME where there were signs all over the place that clearly said No RV Parking.  We couldn't even find a parking lot so we could go shopping or sightseeing during the day.  One shop owner said if he had his way we could park in his lot but the ordinance was strict and we would be towed if the police came by and saw our small (18') Class C.  Bummer!  We left because we don't stay where we're not wanted - and as a result the community lost what we might have spent on souvenirs, food, etc.

As RVing became more popular we began to see more and more anti-RV sentiments and we understood why after I observed two guys in a truck camper dump their holding tank in a retailer parking lot.  When they realized I was watching they took off in a hurry.  Another example is that many states used to have dumps in their interstate rest areas.  These days those dumps are often closed because people put all manner of things down them (like diapers) that clogged them and caused maintenance problems.  When boondocking we have always made a point of being proactive good citizens so the neighbors know we care about our/their environment - such as picking up junk around where we park.  Be that as it may, many towns in good weather areas and near desirable places (think beachfront) started having more and more problems caused by people who just didn't care about other people's property.  In the 1970s when the hippie movement was in full swing Southern California was particularly affected by these problems and the communities finally got fed up and started enacting strict anti-RV ordinances.

What I am getting at by citing the above examples is that Redbox is right in the respect that you want to do something illegal which reflects poorly on all RVers and causes all of us to be restricted and rejected.  I totally understand why you want to do what you're proposing, but I'm guessing you're pretty young and still have a lot to learn.  You've been given some really good advice here and I hope you will try to find a better solution that won't reflect negatively on all RVers.

ArdraF

Be that as it may, many towns in good weather areas and near desirable places (think beachfront) started having more and more problems caused by people who just didn't care about other people's property.  In the 1970s when the hippie movement was in full swing Southern California was particularly affected by these problems and the communities finally got fed up and started enacting strict anti-RV ordinances.

Our central florida winter stick and brick neighbor is a leo who works nights. Part of his routine duties are to look for illegal boondockers in orange groves, business lots, street parking in neighborhoods, and, yes, Wally Worlds where local ordinances restrict overnight areas. According to him there are a lot of people who like to come where it is warm for the winter without paying to stay, as well as, homeless people looking for a warmer climate. Evidently illegal dumping is a huge issue. He has, unfortunately, seen so many bad rvers that he is very cynical about anyone not staying in a campground or rv park. Illegal dumping, illegal drugs, human trafficking, undocumented aliens, neglected children and other bad behaviors is what he thinks whenever he sees an illegally parked rv of any type, a tent, or even those living in cars. Right or wrong, I a sure he is not the only leo with this prejudice.

Thanks ardra. I suspected that people like you describe are the reason things are the way they are for rvers . I may still end up in parking lots here and there, but plan on being very conscientious. After reading here I figure there are enough ways for me to to get around town legally and cheaply. If I do do it ill let you all know my habits for future people who are interested in what I was planning to do

Here's the only reasonable monthly lease sites available in Temecula:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/park_map.php?cgid=6639

with a monthly cost to ease at $ 450 includes full hookups & trash
http://www.indianoaks.info/lease.html

OR Riverside County Parks and Lake Elsinore

I checked Overnight RV Parking.com and there's nothing free or real low cost near Temecula CA. However, @ $25 +/-, Riverside has parks with camping and this allows 14 days ever 28 days, so 2 in, 2 out:
http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/lake-skinner/lake-skinner-home/

The other 14 days here near Lake Skinner but separate:
http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/mccall-equestrian-campground/mccall-equestrian-campground/

Here are all the parks in Riverside County: http://www.recreationparks.net/CA/riverside/

And in between splurge and have a full hookup site for 2 nights at Lake Elsinore @ $35 per nt:
http://www.lake-elsinore.org/index.aspx?page=546

That's the best within 10 miles I can find.

Thanks bob! I wasn't sure how to find the best pricing in the area. I think I heard about lake skinner from a co worker. I really appreciate the research. Did you just use Google?

I used Google to fine Riverside County Parks and then those with cgs. I used RV Park Review.com as an overlay to that search and foubd the park with less expensive monthly sites right in Temecula.

Free RV Parking is $24.95 a year and is good --when there are some sites. I actually started there. It helped in Tucson and the Phoenix area.

If you ever join, tell 'em I sent you and I get an extra month. :)

Awesome thanks Bob. I will use your name. Did you find parking with that in my area?

Bob,not sure if I read your post right.  I looked up "free rv parking 24.95" on Google and wasn't sure what site to go to. Have any links?

Back
Top Bottom