Choosing a TV (truck)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyway, a longer wheel base contributes to stability when towing on the highway

True for a bumper pull trailer, not so for a 5th wheel, due to the 5th wheel's hitch placement being directly over the truck's rear axle.

If wheelbase was a factor in 5th wheel stability, you wouldn't see short wheelbase commercial cab-over tractors successfully pulling 40 ft. or even 53 ft. trailers down the Interstates.  They have fallen out of favor in recent years due to aerodynamic and workplace ergonomic issues, not lack of stability.

What about 4x2 vs 4x4?  I'll admit that I haven't scoured the forum looking, and maybe it's been hashed through before.  A buddy of mine said that a 4x2 dually is easier to get stuck because of less weight on each back wheel...?

Not sure of the 4X2, I ordered ours with 4X4.  Some of the Nascar camping we do has grass (mud) parking lot's when the rain starts, have had to put the unit in 4X4 a few times already.  Believe it's added costs, however from MHO worth it, considering we had spent this much already on the TV, was not worth not getting it.  Others are very happy with 4X2, just a choice.

The only thing I'm worried about with 4x4 is bed height.  Otherwise, at least for Dodge, the payload and max trailer numbers are higher.

one thing i learned with a dually ford truck i had a few years ago, was i couldn't go through the drive through at the bank, blamed thing wouldn't fit!!! LOL if they had left the one on the far right with the tube to the teller instead of putting the DT ATM there, i'd have been able to

LOL

Phil Hyde said:
A buddy of mine said that a 4x2 dually is easier to get stuck because of less weight on each back wheel...?
I always thought a 4X2 got stuck easier because it was a 4X2 and not a 4X4... :eek:

A dually does indeed get stuck easier because of the reduced weight on each tire. That's true whether 2WD or 4WD. Obviously the 4WD performs better overall when it comes to getting stuck on slippery surfaces, but an SRW (single rear wheel) 4WD actually works better than a dually 4WD because rear wheel traction is better. However, if the reason for getting stuck is something like deep mud, the dually's greater flotation is an advantage over SRW.

Nothing is simple once you get beyond the surface...

Thanks, Gary.

I would prefer a SRW truck, but looking at the figures on Dodge, the SRW truck is nearly 2000lbs less payload!

Phil Hyde said:
What about 4x2 vs 4x4?  I'll admit that I haven't scoured the forum looking, and maybe it's been hashed through before.  A buddy of mine said that a 4x2 dually is easier to get stuck because of less weight on each back wheel...?
What I mentioned earlier "?A friend's dad had a Dodge DRW for his 5th wheel and after a few years traded it for another Dodge with SRW because he did not like how it handled (mostly in the snow) when not towing. Both were 2WD". His specific gripe was that with a SRW, the back tires essentially tracked through the snow where the front tires had already been. With a DRW, the outside tire had to make a 2nd track which he felt led to poor traction vs the SRW.

papachaz said:
one thing i learned with a dually ford truck i had a few years ago, was i couldn't go through the drive through at the bank, blamed thing wouldn't fit!!! LOL if they had left the one on the far right with the tube to the teller instead of putting the DT ATM there, i'd have been able to

LOL
Off topic but a funny story (I think so anyway). Went through a "touchless" car wash last year. Asked about the camper mirrors "yup, guys go through all the time" was the reply. Sure enough, I got through the door with about 6" on each side and the wash arm that goes around the truck cleared with about 2" on each side. As I was getting washed, I noticed that they had a nice blow dryer with about 20 nozzles on it at the exit door - trouble is, it was about 1 foot narrower than the door!!! There was a line of cars behind me so backing out was not an option. I had to open the driver-side window (in gale-force winds ) to fold in the mirror and JUST made it out. Lesson learned - that car wash is off the list.

OMG, funny vision... must have felt like you were in a hurricane! :-\

Joezeppy said:
Off topic but a funny story (I think so anyway). Went through a "touchless" car wash last year. Asked about the camper mirrors "yup, guys go through all the time" was the reply. Sure enough, I got through the door with about 6" on each side and the wash arm that goes around the truck cleared with about 2" on each side. As I was getting washed, I noticed that they had a nice blow dryer with about 20 nozzles on it at the exit door - trouble is, it was about 1 foot narrower than the door!!! There was a line of cars behind me so backing out was not an option. I had to open the driver-side window (in gale-force winds ) to fold in the mirror and JUST made it out. Lesson learned - that car wash is off the list.

Heh.  That is where the power telescoping/folding mirrors on the Fords are a godsend.  Also when you have everything hooked up and hit the road for that weekend away from home, only to have to stop two blocks away and pull out the dang mirrors.  Sheesh!

I had a 2011 GMC Sierra diesel 2500HD crew cab SRW. Pulled a 30' Laredo 5er and did not know it was there, except  my fuel economy dropped from 19mpg highway to 10.3. I had a pull rite super glide hitch and it was perfect. Never had a problem. I strongly recommend the GMC 2500 Diesel for any 5er up to 16000 lbs. If the 5er is more than 16k, you need to think 3500HD dually. you 23k towing capacity.

traded for an MH as it is much more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom