2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jan Stiskala

I just love this RV. Reminding me more the coaches I driven in Europe. It is so affordable and spacey for it size.
I am buying one in May and can't wait.
I am flying to US from Australia in May to make this purchase. Hope that my dealer will give me good discount.

Please if you guys think that I should be careful and revise my choice, let me know. It is hard to choose RV with out inspection just by looking on Internet pictures.

I have been recommended Tuscan in Arizona to purchase. Will be registering in Montana.

Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on your purchase and how it turns out.

If you purchase a coach in AZ, you will have to pay AZ sales tax regardless of your ultimate registration intentions. You would have to take delivery out of state from the AZ dealer to avoid paying the AZ tax.

The 2012 ACE is much improved over the 2011, in my opinion.  We really looked at an ACE last year but felt the floor plan was cramped and didn't like a few other things so went with the Georgetown 280.

We looked at the '12 ACE at an RV show this year and really liked it a lot.  The slide is much bigger and it really opens up the front.  The model we looked at this year seemed to be more "finished" than last year's as well.  We would have had a harder time deciding if we'd seen this one last year...but would probably choose our G'town again because of the floor plan.

The ACE, because of the storage & bed above the cab area does not have the huge windshield that most Class A's have.  It's bigger than a Class C but you don't have the sky to road view that the bigger windshield has.  I think there is a bit of a step down into the driver's & passenger seats (can't remember for sure). 

Take time to look at other floor plans & manufacturers.  If you're coming that far anyway, you might as well look at what other manufacturers offer & get the one best suited for what you want to do!  When are you making the trip & where are you going?  If you could luck into a large RV show, you could see several models in one place and compare them.

Good luck!

Thanks Karen.
I am flying to Los Angeles on 7th of May.
Your Idea to visit some large show is good. I would have to find out if there is any at that time and fly in.

BernieD said:
Welcome to the forum and keep us up to date on your purchase and how it turns out.

If you purchase a coach in AZ, you will have to pay AZ sales tax regardless of your ultimate registration intentions. You would have to take delivery out of state from the AZ dealer to avoid paying the AZ tax.

Yes Bernie
Looks like this rule apply for majority of the states. But most of dealers don't mind to do delivery outside of their state.

Does delivery out of their state mean the coach is physically moved or is it just on papper.
Also in the market for an ACE 29.2.

Does delivery out of their state mean the coach is physically moved or is it just on papper.

'Out of state delivery' means just that - the RV is delivered to the customer in another state, and the customer takes ownership there. In the case of California, the dealer is required to show proof that the RV was physically moved to the other state. To read the CA requirements, look at page 2 of Pub 34, dowloadable from the list of publications on this BOE page.

My husband and I just purchased the ACE 29.2.  We pick it up on March 17.  We looked at MANY different options before our purchase but we had some specific requirements that narrowed the field down to the Thor Hurricane and ACE.  We picked the ACE because it felt roomier, cheaper, had regular beds vs. air mattresses and it felt homier.  The 29.1 model was immediately off the list because I didn't like how the stove was on the slideout.  The kitchen layout in the 29.1 was terrible.  We went back and forth for days with the 29.2 and 30.1.  We kept changing our minds, but finally decided on the 29.2 because we couldn't see losing the LARGE outdoor storage hatch in the back and it felt homier.

I was very impressed with the features on the ACE.  They definitely took the best features of other models and put them into one.  I like how the bedroom has actual doors (vs. paper doors in other models), that the couch slides into a bed vs. dealing with an air mattress and the decor seemed more neutral and modern.  I also LOVED the very large cargo area in the back.  You can't beat this storage.  You can fit tables, chairs, bikes, etc. in one area.  It also has a wet storage area that can be used as a cooler for tailgating.  I grew up traveling in a Winnebago Chieftain and the layout reminded me a lot of this model.  It was nice to find something that I felt familiar with.

We haven't camped in the ACE yet, but we are very pleased with our purchase at this point.  Will update you after our first trip.

Hi Lesh
I have exactly same reason like you to choose 29.2 against 29.1 model. I did not liked the idea when slide out is inside, my kitchen space is limmited. Also shower out of bathroom was not appreciated by my wife.

looks like we are happy owners of great ACE 29.2

I am picking mine up from Campingworld IL early May.
I am feeling like little boy waiting for christmas day.

Jan,

Hey mate, here's another place that stocks em'.... http://www.mantecatrailer.com/showroom/Thor-Motor-Coach/ACE/Motor-Home-Class-A.aspx

Have a great time touring the US this summer!

Lesh & Jan,

Congrats on your ACE!  As I said in my earlier post, we were VERY impressed with the 29.2 and it would have been in the running had we been purchasing one this year.  They are great looking coaches and certainly have a lot of well thought out extras.

Have fun with your rigs!

Deal is done now and deposit paid. Thank you all for friendly posting, and advice.
I will comment more when I test the RV.

We went back and forth for a very long time about having a shower in the bathroom or separate.  When the shower is separate and the door across is closed you actually have more room once you set out since you have the whole bedroom area.  But then you are blocking off the bedroom.  When it's all in one you have a very small space to get dressed.  I also had a hard time looking at the shower all the time when it was separate.  I like how the ACE shower has an arched top but when you were sitting down and looked at the shower it looked like it was falling over.  Our final decision was that it was best for everyone to be in one area, out of view.

I would love to hear everyone else's view on having an all-in-one bath vs. separate shower.  This was such a huge discussion between my husband and I.

Lesh said:
I would love to hear everyone else's view on having an all-in-one bath vs. separate shower.  This was such a huge discussion between my husband and I.

That's been an issue of interest to me as well.  Our previous MH (1994 class C) had split bath in the middle.  You close off the doors to the front and to the bedroom and you have a large bath.  Wide open and spacious.  Plenty of room for dressing, drying off, etc.  I liked that.  A lot.  Our current class A has a more traditional enclosed bath.  I'm not a small guy and it's kinda cramped to get out of the shower and try to dry off and dress.  I miss the wide open spaces of our last coach's bath, but that seems to be an uncommon layout at least in class A's of the brands we were looking at.  My wife prefers our current layout, but I liked the whole middle of the coach as one open bath.  So,  it seems to be a matter of personal preference,
Gordon

Our last two coaches had walk-through bath areas, with the commode and sink in a small enclosed room but the shower on the main aisle, with pocket doors to close off both ends when needed.  That works well for us. I've also seen floor plans that have the commode and vanity sink right in the aisle area (no separate door). Some seemed quite nice, while others seemed a bit awkward to close off from the lounge area. There was one I really liked where the shower actually formed a part of the wall between bedroom and bath, but my wife didn't like the fact that the shower walls were all glass, so visible from the bedroom. Guess I could have wall-papered the glass on one side...  :p

Lesh,

That goofy shower curtain hanging out for all to see in the 29.1 was one of the reasons we passed on it.  It was tilted and plastic..PLASTIC?  really?  I hated it. I guess one advantage would be that it would rattle less when traveling but it's good that it can be hidden now!

Since we've never had a separate shower/toilet area, I can't compare the two.  Our G'town has the enclosed bath area which isn't huge by any means but with a few body contorsions and balancing acts, I can get dried off & dressed in it. 

I think it's what you get used to and can see advantages for both designs.  I don't know that having a separate shower would have been a deal breaker on our G'town. 

I hope both you & Jan will post more about the ACE once you get to use them.

I will Karen
Now when I am thinking abot it, I also did not like the idea that plastic shower door in 29.1 is exposed to interior.

KarenS144 said:
Lesh,

That goofy shower curtain hanging out for all to see in the 29.1 was one of the reasons we passed on it.  It was tilted and plastic..PLASTIC?  really?  I hated it. I guess one advantage would be that it would rattle less when traveling but it's good that it can be hidden now!

Jan,

I actually like the plastic option in the ACE.  The other models we looked at had the glass or hard plastic doors and they seemed like they would break pretty quickly.  In fact, one model at the RV show did have a broken door.  The Thor Hurricane has the sliding glass door that slide with the rounded shape of the shower and it was not a smooth slide.  I was very weary of those 'hard' doors after looking at many models.  The plastic option, while not as visually appealing, seems much sturdier, especially since it was a straight line slide and not rounded on the track.

This is why they offer so many different options!!  ;D

Lesh
I agree with you, I just don't like to have shower screen door as part of the interior. That is why I prefer model 29.2

I finally paid deposit for my RV Thor ACE 39.2 to Campingworld in Illinois Close to Chicago. Will be picking this RV in May and will report to you guys how happy I am with the purchase and all .
So far the dealer was more than helpful with all communications and Price offered with out annoying bargaining was extremely good. They beat closest offer by $5000.
Not to long for me now.

Back
Top Bottom