2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the info on bike storage, Lesh.  Just looking at photos online, it is hard to tell if and how bikes would fit in there.  We'd thought about adding some fork mounts to the interior of the compartment and taking off the front wheels, but we will have to measure for ourselves to decide.  My husband also does not want to use an external rack for security reasons, but we may end up having to go that route.  Another rig we are interested in (a Class C) has a much bigger "garage", but it is no longer made and the only used models we can find online are in the west, so it will be harder to take a look at in person.

I am like you about driving, and to be honest, even though they said we should both be comfortable docking our boat, I was never comfortable with it.  I was fine "driving" it once we were away from the dock, but I would hate to have had to dock it by myself.  I am also intimidated by driving a Class A, so am leaning more towards a Class C for that reason.  I do like the design of the ACE and some of its cool features, but I have a feeling I like it more for "style" than what would really work for us long-term.  ;)

Emily

I am always nervous about a bike rack because I am afraid it will fall off the back.  Most of the racks now have great security features so I don't think it would be a problem.  It depends on how expensive your bikes are though!  There is probably a way to get the bikes inside, but it just seemed like too much trouble to us and the bike rack has worked wonderfully so far.  Of course, we turn the camera on quite often during our drives to make sure they are still back there! We also store our RV in an indoor storage facility so we aren't worried about theft when we aren't using it.  ;D

My husband was very nervous driving the RV for the first time.  In fact, he didn't drive it until the day we went for our demo to pick it up!  He was very surprised how easy it is to drive though.  His experience before had only been U-Hauls and such of that size.  He was very happy that the RV drove very much like a large car.  The turning radius is fantastic and he said it doesn't feel as heavy as it is.  Our conversation has made me more interested in learning....but I think I still need a bit more time to pump myself up!  ;)

Emily,
It can be quite intimidating thinking about driving an A.  We just recently purchased our A, before that we had a very old C.  I was terrified but knew I had to bite the bullet.  I've driven it about 5 or 6 times now and it's getting better and better with each drive.  Before our purchase we considered a C also.  I drove it and it felt wonderful!  It made for a very tough decision, both had the same floor plan so it came down to the driving area.  What became our deciding factor was this... if we were stuck inside because of a rain storm or something, which one had more space.  With the C you can't turn the captain chairs around thus losing seating and space.  With the A you can turn them around, have extra seating and more of an open feeling.  We went with the A.  I haven't regretted it since!  Good luck with your decision and don't be afraid to drive.  It really isn't that bad. :)

Lesh said:
I am always nervous about a bike rack because I am afraid it will fall off the back.  Most of the racks now have great security features so I don't think it would be a problem.  It depends on how expensive your bikes are though!  There is probably a way to get the bikes inside, but it just seemed like too much trouble to us and the bike rack has worked wonderfully so far.  Of course, we turn the camera on quite often during our drives to make sure they are still back there! We also store our RV in an indoor storage facility so we aren't worried about theft when we aren't using it.  ;D

My husband was very nervous driving the RV for the first time.  In fact, he didn't drive it until the day we went for our demo to pick it up!  He was very surprised how easy it is to drive though.  His experience before had only been U-Hauls and such of that size.  He was very happy that the RV drove very much like a large car.  The turning radius is fantastic and he said it doesn't feel as heavy as it is.  Our conversation has made me more interested in learning....but I think I still need a bit more time to pump myself up!  ;)

Maybe you should try driving around a parking lot first, or around a park when you are camping, before you take it onto the open road?  When we first got recumbent bikes years ago (no longer have them), there was a learning curve as well, and that's what I did -- took it to a school parking lot on a weekend and rode it around until I finally felt comfortable going onto a very little-traveled road.  Baby steps!

I'm not too worried about the bikes falling off the back, but more because we need to carry four bikes (two mountain, two road), and the more bikes, the more complex the racks get, plus they make the rig even longer.  Also, if someone ever rear-ended us, there go the bikes!  :mad:  That said, I can see maybe putting the two least expensive bikes on the back and the more expensive ones (the road bikes) inside.  We'd be afraid of theft when we were out hiking, walking, or kayaking at a park so would need some really good locks if we leave them outside of the rig.

Good luck with the driving.  I'm sure it's just a mental hurdle to get over and you'll do fine!

Emily

esim134 said:
Emily,
It can be quite intimidating thinking about driving an A.  We just recently purchased our A, before that we had a very old C.  I was terrified but knew I had to bite the bullet.  I've driven it about 5 or 6 times now and it's getting better and better with each drive.  Before our purchase we considered a C also.  I drove it and it felt wonderful!  It made for a very tough decision, both had the same floor plan so it came down to the driving area.  What became our deciding factor was this... if we were stuck inside because of a rain storm or something, which one had more space.  With the C you can't turn the captain chairs around thus losing seating and space.  With the A you can turn them around, have extra seating and more of an open feeling.  We went with the A.  I haven't regretted it since!  Good luck with your decision and don't be afraid to drive.  It really isn't that bad. :)

Thanks for that information!  We have a few Class C's and a few Class A's on our "possibles" list, and it will really come down to storage, layout, liveability, features, and how we both feel driving them.  We won't rule anything out yet.  It's nice to know that there are at least some of the female gender driving the Class A's.  It seems really intimidating, but like anything, I'm sure I can learn.  There are plenty of female bus drivers out there, so if they can do it, why not me?  ::)

Emily

I'm getting very excited!  We've got a good deal worked out with our local dealer. We just have to find a good finance rate and we may be owners by the end of the week!  Anyone know any good places to finance RVs?  Good Sam has 5 1/8% but their refinance rates are less than that.  What is that about? 

jemz said:
I'm getting very excited!  We've got a good deal worked out with our local dealer. We just have to find a good finance rate and we may be owners by the end of the week!  Anyone know any good places to finance RVs?  Good Sam has 5 1/8% but their refinance rates are less than that.  What is that about?

Our dealer did financing through Bank of the West and I believe they are a very popular RV financier.  We got 5% on our loan.

Congrats and good luck!! :)

We did our financing through good Sam and got a good rate.  However honestly if i could have done it over again i would have went with the dealer as their rate was virtually the same and the sale would have been more seemless for us, there was an added hassle of working remotely with Good Sam, mailing documents, and notary stuff.

Both my husband and I test drove a Class C and the ACE this week.  He made me drive first which made me so nervous. I had never driven anything that big before.  He drives fire trucks so we knew he'd have no problem. We took the Class C out first.  I thought driving it was the same as driving a truck. Half way through the drive we switched.  While sitting in the back I noticed it was noisier than I expected and it seemed to sway side to side a lot.  When driving the ACE the steering wheel was really big and the brake pedal was odd as it stuck out more than the gas pedal. While in the back I noticed the ride was much smoother and less noisy.

I drove both in traffic and on the interstate.  I think instinctly you know it's longer and compensate without even realizing it.  Driving tha ACE was a little different but I know I will get more comfortable as I drive it more and get used the big steering wheel and brake pedal.  Maybe once I find that perfect position in the seat too it'll help not feeling like my arms are so stretched out and wide apart.  The ride in the back made the decision much easier. Even the kids noticed a huge difference.

Another big reason we went with the ACE 29.2 was the kitchen and bathroom. We didn't like the bathrooms in the other models and the Class C's we looked at. You would basically have to close off the whole back end if someone wanted to take a shower. 

Storage - as someone said, there is storage under the sofa. You could put some of the different seasons in boxes/bags/containers underneath the sofa.  I bought a hanging bag that has three compartments and put it in one of the wardrobes.  Allows us to separate clothes.  I do not think they want you to use the space under the dinette for heavy storage because of the weight on the slide, but you could probably put some clothes in it.  At this point I do not need that storage, so I will not use it.

Driving - my wife was terrified to drive the Class A.  However, once she started to drive it, she has gotten more comfortable with it.  I think it is easier to drive a Class A, then the Class C because of the mirrors.  The cab is width of the RV.  I know if the cab can fit, so can the RV.  In the Class C, not the same case.

jon

Reason why storage under dinette is screwed down with one screw is exactly what Jon is saying. They know that people will be using that space, but they don't want to take responsibility in case you use this storage for heavy materials.
After all this space is in slide out which already have weight of fridge and all kitchen cupboards.

I am using one seat space for duna and pillows for bad above driver, and the other one as dirty laundry space and bucket space.

On our way to test drive.  Maybe we'll sign the papers tonight?!

jemz said:
On our way to test drive.  Maybe we'll sign the papers tonight?!

GOOD LUCK!!  ;D

It's exciting to see some new (or soon to be!) 29.2 owners on here!

harlee79 & Jan - When we dumped on Monday our grey tank said 1/3 full still.  By the time we got home, 2 hours later, it said empty.  There is obviously something wrong with the sensor in this new model.  I guess as long as you get to 1/3 and it sounds like its done pumping you are ok!

Lesh said:
harlee79 & Jan - When we dumped on Monday our grey tank said 1/3 full still.  By the time we got home, 2 hours later, it said empty.  There is obviously something wrong with the sensor in this new model.  I guess as long as you get to 1/3 and it sounds like its done pumping you are ok!

Spot on Lesh.
I don't think that sensor will ewer work well on Gray tank. Tank is shallow and large. If you are just little out of level, you get different reading. I get different reading all the time. Thanks god that tank is large not to worry about it.
I use rv for 3 days with 3 showers (not saving water) with out filling gray tank to full.

We did it!  We did the test drive and put down a deposit.  We get to pick it up in about a week.  First they need to add a couple options and fix a couple things.  By the way, Jan, we did deal with Darrell and he was able to give us a good deal.  Ultimately it was better than the wholesalers.  Thanks for the recommendation!

While we're waiting for the RV to be ready, I'll busy myself with some shoopping for RV stuff and read some RV books.  Any recommendations on helpful books for new RV owners?  I checked out the storage space carefully in the kitchen to be sure I don't over buy!  I'll get the bare minimum and we'll add as we find out we really NEED something.  (At least I'll try.)

Congratulation jemz.
Darryll Primrose deal fairly with me. He behaved like real gentleman. Not usual salesperson in this industry.
I hope that your sale will go as smooth as mine did. There are always some small issues with rv, but they get sorted in first year under warranty.

I would not do any shopping before you get your rv.  It is much easier to pull with new RV infront of the wallmart or place you will choose to shop and do the shopping that way. I can't remember how many times I was running in and out between RV and supermarket checking sizes of cupboards and looking if colours are matching and if containers fit the draws,.......

If you have your RV there with you, you will not make that many useless purchases.
I still looking for cutlery tray fit my draw, funny size in this RV. about 1/4 inch smaller than the selling trays.

Jan -you need to buy the cutlery holder from camping world or another dealer.  We got ours at our dealers the day we picked up the RV.  It was $5 or so and white plastic.  I have seen them at many RV retail stores.

We bought most of our items before we picked up our RV and we didn't make a bad purchase!  We got the basics, towels,  sheets, plates, kitchen items, chairs, toiletries , etc.  Then we would make a list on each trip of the items we needed to buy.  During our first trip we came up with a HUGE list.  The list got smaller with each trip!  We purchased our items a IKEA, Walmart, Dollar Store and  Bed Bath & Beyond.  We had made so many trips to the dealer before we made the final purchase that i knew that thing inside and out!

Lesh said:

Yea honestly if you get a chance just open the macerator storage door, and follow the pipe that runs toward the slide and look to the left(might need a flashlight).  You'll see 3 different sensors installed in that flat tank.  The bottom sensor(1/3) is level with the outlet pipe so as Jan said if your leaning the right way you might be able to get it empty but most times your probably going to show 1/3 full.  Once you see the sensor location you'll get it.  Thanks for the report.

Buy at RV Corral in Eugene, Oregon. No sales tax and they are very trust worthy. Brad Fisher is a good salesman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom