rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 2012 Thor ACE 29.2  (Read 206921 times)

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
Re: 2012 Thor ACE 29.2
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
We never did solve the problem.  Seems like a design issue with the way they staple together the cabinets over the bunk bed.  However, on today's 3 hour trip it only made itself known a few times.

I'm at a Provincial Park with the family this weekend.  My air conditioner is draining across the roof, hitting one of the right hand side fixtures then running down the awning.  In the wind it sprays you under the awning and I don't like the awning and it's bar being kept wet all the time.

Where does your air conditioner drain?

My couch cub holders are directly under the window dressings so you can't put anything bigger than a small cup in it.  It would have been simple for them to make the holes further down.

Do your upper bunks have a light?  The kids can't read at night up there without a flashlight.  The main lights are too far away for them to turn off at night.

Lots of little things issues like this.

Thanks.

Yes I am having the same problem. Please let me know what happened after repair and what was the reason for the noise.
2018 THOR Challenger 37TB
Toronto (Mississauga), Ontario
Canada
Computer Nerd

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
All Thor 29.2 have light for upper bank. It is nice strong light above front passenger seat.
So far I have no problems with water from AC, so I didn't look for drain solution they applied Will look at this later.. Also my problem with squeaky noise is sort out, all what was needed was slide out adjustment.
So far so good for me.

Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

Lesh

• ---
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
Our slide still makes a terrible noise behind the driver seat.  It definity isn't the shelving above.  It's something with the rubber seal against the metal slide.  It doesn't seem to be bad on the way up for a trip but on the way back it's terrible.

Our AC also drains funny but we haven't had a problem like you said about sitting under the awning.  Ours typically drains to the left when parked but it goes either way when driving.  It's definitely something we noticed right away because you see it running down the windows.  If you are having troubles while sitting under the awning then you must be leaning to the right side.  You should try adjusting so it drains to the left.

The cup holders are bad all around up front.  The ones in the middle don't hold bottles and like you said the driver ones is positioned horribly.  We keep everything in bottles with lids to they can lay around.

Like Jan said, there is a light on the side of the cabinet over the passenger seat that is used for the bunk.

Jemz - saw you picked up your RV and are enjoying it so far!  Can't wait to hear how your first trip goes.   :D
2019 Newmar Bay Star 3414

jjbescher

• ---
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »
Our AC mainly drains to the Driver side.  Every now and then it will drain to the passenger side.  So far no issue with the slide.  Also, that light is bright for the bunk, it can also be used to light up the cab area when the bunk is up.

I have taken mine out a few more times and I I love it even more.  Having the generator is awesome.  It is a shop today getting it so I can tow my Honda Pilot behind it.

jon

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Glad you enjoy your RV Jon
Today I went to Camping world in Utah and they readjusting my slide. hope that eliminate all noise. It was really not that bad, but since it is under the warranty I asked them to look at this. I will let you know if all is ok after adjustment.

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have the auto jack levelling system so I'm hoping I don't have to manually override it to drain on the left side.  It seems to be normal to dribble onto the roof as a trailer near me had the same air conditioner type.  However, his trailer has a small rain gutter on the sides so it nicely runs off the back of his.

I'll have to call Thor about the bunk light.  I looked at pictures online for the 30.1 like ours and I can't see a light in them.

Did everybody's units get a front end alignment done as part of the PDI?  I'm not sure if mine did.  Thor put a sticker on my driver's panel recommending one.  An associate that owned the 29.1 got his tires Road Force balanced and highly recommends that also.
Canada
Computer Nerd

Lesh

• ---
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have the auto jack levelling system so I'm hoping I don't have to manually override it to drain on the left side.  It seems to be normal to dribble onto the roof as a trailer near me had the same air conditioner type.  However, his trailer has a small rain gutter on the sides so it nicely runs off the back of his.

I'll have to call Thor about the bunk light.  I looked at pictures online for the 30.1 like ours and I can't see a light in them.

Did everybody's units get a front end alignment done as part of the PDI?  I'm not sure if mine did.  Thor put a sticker on my driver's panel recommending one.  An associate that owned the 29.1 got his tires Road Force balanced and highly recommends that also.

I didn't realize you have a 30.1.  Your cabinets are not in the same location as the 29.2 so you won't have the same light that we do.  It seems weird that there isn't one for the bunk but if there isn't a cabinet or any other surface on the non slide side then I guess you don't have one.  You should get them a couple book lights.   :D

I don't know anything about the front end alignment.  Don't recall ever hearing about it but that doesn't mean it wasn't done.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
A front end alignment would not be a part of the PDI.  Most dealers aren't equipped to do an alignment anyway.  If you can talk them into getting one done, go for it, the worst they can say is no :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

cuppajoe

• ---
Electrical outlets near master bedroom?
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »
Question for owners of 29.2's: are there 110v electrical outlets next to the bed in the rear of the coach?  I noticed the nice, deep bedside shelves in pictures on-line, but can't see if there's a place to plug in a clock radio when connected to shore power.

Thanks!
cj

jjbescher

• ---
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:18 AM »
Yes, there are outlets on both sides under the cabinet.

jon

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
Question:  Is your Jensen radio lousy at keeping time?  Ours in the 30.1 takes only 1 week to become 20 minutes off.  I leave the motorhome plugged-in in our driveway.

Feedback on the common concern of the small back storage in the 30.1 compared to the 29.2/.1.  I've found with all the underside storage and other openings we have ample room for our family of 4.  We can't dump a bike in the locker like you could with a 29 but we're definitely liking the extra space in the bedroom.

Also the TV swings out to let the kids watch from the front seats or the bunk so the person prepping dinner isn't in the way of it.  My wife is only 5' tall so never an issue for her to be at the counter anyway...

We're planning to tow a 4000 lbs boat/trailer and bring the bikes on one trip.  This adapter from Valley Industries allows us to accomplish it:  http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Towing-Hitches/Valley-Multi-Purpose-Ball-Mount.  The towing hitch bike racks are all limited to 3500 lbs towing capacity.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:09:16 PM by BCinTOR »
Canada
Computer Nerd

harlee79

• ---
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »
I havn't had the radio on(not in disconnect) for longer than 5 days at a time so far and it hasn't lost any time yet. 

cuppajoe

• ---
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
Yes, there are outlets on both sides under the cabinet.

Excellent, thanks!  Next silly question: how much space is available for a DVD player for the main cabin TV?  I heard that there is an HDMI connector for the TV located in the cabinet where the drop-down bed controls are mounted in the main cabin. How "deep" is this cabinet?

Cheers!
cj

jjbescher

• ---
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Excellent, thanks!  Next silly question: how much space is available for a DVD player for the main cabin TV?  I heard that there is an HDMI connector for the TV located in the cabinet where the drop-down bed controls are mounted in the main cabin. How "deep" is this cabinet?

Cheers!
cj

The cabinet is pretty deep.  I would say it will handle a normal DVD players depth pretty easily.

jemz

• ---
    • Our Family Misadventures
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
The cabinet is pretty deep.  I would say it will handle a normal DVD players depth pretty easily.

Yes it's a nice easy set-up!  We just bought a DVD player for it and will hook it up tomorrow.  Our first trip with our ACEnis this Friday.  I can't wait!
My kids are "jemzz" ... Jacob, Ella, Max, Zoe & Zach
We travel in a Chevy Express 2500 and tow our 2015 36' Rockwood Signature Ultralite
http://www.ourfamilymisadventures.blogspot.com/

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »
I'm a computer nerd so I rip all our DVD's to a hard drive on our home theatre PC then copy a selection to whatever device we're bringing in the ACE such as an Asus Transformer Android tablet, iPad or Macbook.  Pretty much everything can be hooked up to HDMI these days so that's our DVD player and music source.

Guess I'm off topic a tad now. :)

Yes it's a nice easy set-up!  We just bought a DVD player for it and will hook it up tomorrow.  Our first trip with our ACEnis this Friday.  I can't wait!
Canada
Computer Nerd

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »

Cheers!
cj
Cabinet is 13 inches deep. I am having laptop there and playing my pirated movies instead dvd player. If I want to play dvd, laptop do the job also.

Trek5

« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
New here and shopping for an ACE 29.2 - a couple of questions have come up that I hope you can help with. I plan to tow a 2012 jeep wrangler soft top - does anyone else tow? Enough power towing? Even in the mountains? The jeep has a curb weight around 4000lbs  - since the ACE has a hitch rating of 5000lb I'm assuming I'm ok there and yes, I have brakes for the Jeep. I'm looking at both 2012 and 2013 units - does anyone know what changes they have made to the 2013? I've looked on their website and can't tell. Thanks for your help.

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
The one I have is 2013 model. I don't think that they made any changes. I could be wrong, but 2012 and 2013 looks the same.

jemz

• ---
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
I think I read that the macerator is standard in the 2013 but not the 2012.  Again, I could be wrong.  Mine is the 2013 too. I guess overall there is not much (or any) difference.

We travel in a Chevy Express 2500 and tow our 2015 36' Rockwood Signature Ultralite

high desert rver

• ---
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
Any body know how you get into the overhead bunk. In all the forums, pictures and videos I have looked at, nobody has said or shown how

Lesh

• ---
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
Any body know how you get into the overhead bunk. In all the forums, pictures and videos I have looked at, nobody has said or shown how

There is a key lock/unlock pad near the front door attached to the cabinet.  Turn the key and the bed will fold down.  It's all mechanical.

high desert rver

• ---
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
I know about the key lock, but how once the bed is down do you get in it, does it come with a ladder.

Lesh

• ---
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
I know about the key lock, but how once the bed is down do you get in it, does it come with a ladder.
Ohhhhh, sorry!  You just have to climb up there.   :D  I haven't done it my self but if you use the dinette or sofa to give you a boost that should work.  Our dealer said there was also a ladder you could buy to use if you have small kids.  This would be an after market item, not something that came with the coach.

high desert rver

• ---
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
Have another ?. I am 6' and need leg room and good support for my back while driving. Does the drivers seat have a lot of adjustment to it and is electric.

Lesh

• ---
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
One of the guys will have to give you a full answer on this.  I can tell you that our 2012 is not electric.  My husband is just under 6' and he says he is quite comfortable when driving.

jemz

• ---
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
Ohhhhh, sorry!  You just have to climb up there.   :D  I haven't done it my self but if you use the dinette or sofa to give you a boost that should work.  Our dealer said there was also a ladder you could buy to use if you have small kids.  This would be an after market item, not something that came with the coach.

Yes, if you stand on the dinette bench you can step onto a platform behind the drivers seat (probably put there for that reason) and up into the bunk.  Even my 3 year old can do it. I bet a ladder would rarely be necessary.

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
there is no electric adjustment for seat. But i am 1.82m tall and have long legs. i have seat in close to the steering wheal position when I drive. you have plenty of legroom there. but best would be to get demo ride.

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
If anything the Thor Ace is built for tall people.  My 5 foot wife can't comfortably drive it without pedal extenders.  I'm 5 foot 6 inches and have the seat all the way forward.  It killed the deal for us initially when my wife tried it out until I figured out the extenders.

Manual seats weight much less; maybe save a bit of gas? ;)

On a different topic my 30.1 has the Jensen JRV212T radio.  I turned on all the automatic weather alerts and amazingly it even works here in Mississauga/Toronto.  I went to the RV just now to close the hatches before the big thunderstorm and the radio had auto turned on to warn us.  Read your manual to check the settings and set what level of alerts you have turned on.

The NOAA alerts are very cool.
Canada
Computer Nerd

BCinTOR

• ---
    • Interlockit.com
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
All the Ace models have a step integrated into the dinnette or on our 30.1 into the couch.  It looks like a flat spot to set a drink.  Would be hard to see in the pictures.  My 7 year old daughter is the size of most 5 year olds and can get in and out fine... I wouldn't say gracefully; but certainly no problem for my 9 year old son.

Canada
Computer Nerd