2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We pick ours up on Saturday!  Excited but nervous.  Now we have to find the time to take a trip!  :)

I just answered this question, I was asked for my Review of our The ACE Motorhome so I thought I'd copy it into this post for everyone to read.

My wife and I love our Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. and Thor Motor Coach has been awesome. We are on our 3rd Damon/Thor motorhome about to purchase a 4th next week. Daybreak, Intruder, ACE, and soon the Palazzo. We have had excellent support so far, they have to be the best in the industry. I don't know any other motorhome manufactures that offer 24 hour tech support or even contact you after you purchase. When we purchased our ACE a year ago they just called us to ensure everything was going well and asked about the dealership, when I purchased my wife's BMW the BMW didn't call us. Apparently after the purchase they assign you support concierge they you can call on at the factory, they really have made owner experience and after sale support a big focus once they merged 4 Winds and Damon. I've been a proud supporter of Damon when they were just the small new kid in the motorhome market. I've seen them grow up and now they are the top dog. They survived the economic down turn so they must been handling there books well too. I believe they have always been a great company offering a lot for your money, I think they did make a few bad coaches in the past but I'm glad to see they recognized it and killed the brand while supporting the owners.

As for they ACE, we have only had the 29.1 for a year now. It's been a fantastic coach. It's the only one I could ever get my wife to drive. It was small enough to go anywhere and it was easy to drive. I personally wish we had found the 29.2 floor plan but it was not around at the time. We really loved all the small features of this coach. Shower size has always been important to us and the bow out in the hotel style curtain is really nice. The kids fight over the drop down bunk, we love all the storage near the entry, every time we spill something we love the lino under the table. My wife and dogs like the little window on the passenger side where to can see the curb, plus it keeps the dogs off the dash. It had lots of storage in the huge stow in the rear. I love that I could mount brackets to the wall to hang my ladder. My only real complaint it that I wish there was an option for LED interior lights. I think all motorhomes could greatly extent the house batteries doing this. The 29.2 is a more open floor plan I would look there first.

I just check out Thor's website they have a video of the 29.2:http://www.acemotorhome.com/videos.php

After selling our business, we are waiting for the new Palazzo rear diesel. So if you interested ours will be for sale, see the attached image. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll be very happy...

You can find the ACE specs on Thor's website: http://thormotorcoach.com/index.php

Attachments

• Small-Motorhomes-For-Sale-Class-A-RV.jpg
    Small-Motorhomes-For-Sale-Class-A-RV.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 140
Max...I've got to admit I've lusted after Thor's new Palazzo since it was shown! ;)

It sure looks close to perfect as an 'A' Diesel for a roving couple as anything I've seen!  Just the right size!

I think Thor really got their ducks in a row with this rig - the design with all the thru-side appliance outlets on the street side...

They also were smart, IMHO, to add almost every optional goodie most people would want on the 'standard version'...the few additional options are just frosting... :D

You'll be high stylin' it for sure in your great new rig!  Happy trails...

I'm glad to hear that someone who has owned for a while was happy with their ACE!  We finally picked ours up and even though we just loaded it with items and stuck it in storage it was pretty exciting.  :)

After moving around and organizing things I am happy that we choose the 29.2 over the 30.  The flow will really suit us and I can't wait to go on our first trip.  This was my husband's first time driving an RV and afterwards he said we should have gotten something bigger since it was so easy.  FIGURES!  This is our first so 29 ft. will have to suit us for a few years!! :)

I just put a deposit on a 30.1 from the factory fully loaded.  The kitchen counter space was important to my wife over the external storage.  Can't wait.

BCinTOR said:
The kitchen counter space was important to my wife over the external storage. 

I completely understand this.  I am a cook myself and have a large kitchen at home to accommodate this.  However, I wanted this RV thing to be different, a way for me to step out of my comfort zone and learn some new ways.  My husband kept pointing out the counter space in the 30 vs. 29.2 but I didn't want the size of the kitchen area to dictate another purchase (as it did with our house!).  I also had a hard time with the location of the TV.  I knew that I would be in the way during meal time for all those watching TV.  I really wish they could have put it in a different location.  In the end the cargo space won over the kitchen space because for what we wanted to do the space was more important.

I hope you enjoy the 30.  I can't wait to hear your opinions on it since we haven't seen anyone else make that purchase yet.  :)

I had a chance over the weekend to look at the ACE 30.1... I really liked the long counter-top and especially its TV placement and cabinet design. The mid-ship, passenger side TV is placed on the upper set of cabinets, then it swings out like a cabinet door giving you access to all the premium storage space behind in the kitchen. Fantastic design!!!! ;D

Hello Lesh & Jan...

I am in the process of negotiating on a 2012 Thor ACE 29.2.  The MSRP is $106,350. Through your experience in your purchase of the 29.2 do you have an opinion on what I should offer $$$.

The dealer in Las Vegas [NV] is asking $79,995.00.

Thank you for any help you can offer...  I was thinking approx. $74,200 (ish) as a counter offer...

Thanks...

Bill H.

Bill,

It all depends on what features your particular model has.  I can tell you that our 29.2 had every single feature available (leveling jacks, side & rear cameras, full body paint, etc.) and there was a macerator throw in....we got ours for $74,900.  If the dealer isn't will to deal perhaps they will throw some additional items on the RV. Good luck!

I would ring
Darrell Primrose from camping world and ask him if he can give you same deal like mine.

[email protected]
847-487-5535 Extension 1238
Cell 847-971-2609

Lazy Days deal was also reasonable.

I find easy to deal with him and he give me fair price with out bargaining.

In general, 25% off of MSRP ("sticker price") is a good deal. Anything more than that is a great deal!

Ask if there are any current manufacturer incentives available as well that can be passed on to you. Sometimes you can get lucky here with a good, honest dealer.

Fill out the online form for http://rvdirect.com/ for the Ace pricing as they have the lowest prices I've seen.  I've ordered my 30.1 out of the Buffalo location.  I'm based in Toronto and it was 5K less any of the Canadian dealers.

We have tackled our first trip in the ACE, but it was not without incident!  Just like they always tell you, your brand new RV is going to have some bugs to work out and this was no different for us.  I traveled as a child in an RV, but my husband has never been in one before.  It was definitely an experience for both of us!  We have a huge list of things we need to buy and things we need to do differently next time.  Overall our trip was great.  The dogs did really well and we really enjoyed ourselves. 

Things that were great:
  • We loved the storage space.  We had tons of room leftover once we put all of our stuff in there.  Some of the cabinets don't seen very deep but they can actually hold a lot more items than expected
  • The layout felt very homey and worked out well for us (2 adults, 3 dogs)
  • The hot water heater worked almost instantly and we only had to turn it on when we needed it.
  • The AC (in front and for coach) works really well!  When driving we don't need to use the coach AC b/c the front on keeps things very cool.
  • The fold over, laptop shelf in the passenger seat has a dual purpose...dogs love to sit on it!  This ended up being a great location for the dogs during travel when they all wanted to be in my lap (of course, ours are all under 25 lbs.)

Things that were weird:
  • The TV is not in a good location, it's too high.  It only works well when you are laying on the couch.  I really wish it had a swivel.  When sitting at the dining room you have to strain your neck and if you try to lean back the window valance is in the way.
  • We can't seem to get the hang of the macerator pump.  It doesn't seem to drain all of the grey water tank, yet the motor is cranking like there is nothing else to come out.  I think we need to do more research on this
  • The bed is quite firm.  I think we will have to get a foam crate or something for the top of it.
  • We really wish that all compartments on the outside could be put in the upright, locked position like the gas, battery, etc. compartments do.  It's not easy to hold the door open while you are trying to drag your electric or sewer hose out.  All compartments should have the holding option.

Things that were terrible:
  • We realized that when our slide is out the kitchen sink hose is getting kinked so we had just a trickle of water while camping.  We had to wash dishes in the shower!
  • The awning got stuck in the extended position.  We were packing up to leave and it wouldn't work.  Unforutnately, the fuse box in the owners manual and what we actual had didn't match.  The guy who answered at Thor said he didn't have any info on the awning right now and we needed to call tomorrow.  Our dealer couldn't offer much more info than the owners manual and the directions in the awning handbook weren't very good.  After 3 hours we got it to go up manually.
  • On our way home the slide started making a TERRIBLE rattling sound.  There was a slight rattle on the way up but it was 10 times worse on the way back.  We eventually figured out that if I sat at the dining room the rattle stopped significantly so that's where I most of the trip back.

Like I said, overall that trip went really well in the ACE.  We were more pleased with it stationary then driving for the first trip though.  I know that this is the time that you have to get the bugs worked out and we understand that.  It will take some time to get things 100%.  It was really frustrating trying to get the awning fixed though.  Since most people are traveling on the weekends there needs to be customer service available at these times.  Telling me you can help me M-F 8-5 is never going to be helpful in our situation.  I've had some people recommend some organizations we should become members of so that we won't have this problem again and I am definitely going to do that.

We have a service appointment for next week to get these first issues worked out.  Fingers crossed they are easy fixes.

Thank You for your post Lesh
please let us know what happens with fixing all this problems. I would like to know specially about the pump issue.

BCinTOR said:
Fill out the online form for http://rvdirect.com/ for the Ace pricing as they have the lowest prices I've seen.  I've ordered my 30.1 out of the Buffalo location.  I'm based in Toronto and it was 5K less any of the Canadian dealers.

We are about to buy an ACE 29.2.  I have a question for those that own one.  Do the 110 outlets on on the passenger side work when driving and the generator is not running?

Also, is there a DVD player hooked up to the TV in the main area?

jon

jjbescher said:
We are about to buy an ACE 29.2.  I have a question for those that own one.  Do the 110 outlets on on the passenger side work when driving and the generator is not running?

Also, is there a DVD player hooked up to the TV in the main area?

jon

Jon,

I have not used the outlets on the passenger side yet, but I would think they need the generator to run.  There is an AC plug in that same location that works.  You could buy an adapter so that you could use that plug to power your items during travel without the generator running.

Yes, there is a DVD hookup.  It is found in the overhead storage compartment across from the TV (left side, facing bedroom).  There should be an HDMI plug hanging out the side and a power outlet right beside.  Just make sure your DVD  player has the HDMI hookup.  We took an old DVD player on our first trip that did not.  :(

Lesh said:
Jon,

I have not used the outlets on the passenger side yet, but I would think they need the generator to run.  There is an AC plug in that same location that works.  You could buy an adapter so that you could use that plug to power your items during travel without the generator running.

Yes, there is a DVD hookup.  It is found in the overhead storage compartment across from the TV (left side, facing bedroom).  There should be an HDMI plug hanging out the side and a power outlet right beside.  Just make sure your DVD  player has the HDMI hookup.  We took an old DVD player on our first trip that did not.  :(

Thank you very much.  So we can hook one up, but it is not provided.  That is good to know.  And it needs to have HDMI connnection.  I love boards where people are so helpful.

jon

You are very welcome Jon!  Let us know if you have any other questions and I can't wait to hear what you think about the ACE.

For everyone else:  We got the call that the service on the RV is finished and we pick it up tomorrow.  It took a total of 2 days which wasn't bad.  I know they didn't fix the camera (it was fogging up), but they did order a new one that should arrive in a couple of weeks.  Let's hope they fixed all of the other issues and it was all covered under warranty!  I will update tomorrow. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom