2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did everyone receive the info about the recall?  It affects the 2011-2013 ACE, all models I assume.  It's in regards to the RV Custom Products Battery Control Center.  We got an email yesterday.

I have not gotten anything yet. (2012- 29.2). Do you have any more info....???

Erling

ebrabaek said:
I have not gotten anything yet. (2012- 29.2). Do you have any more info....???

Erling

Here is what the email said.  Perhaps yours will arrive in the mail??

Thor Motor Coach (TMC) decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in several Thor Motor Coach Brand motorhomes. The models affected are:

Product Brand Model Years
A.C.E. 2011-2013
Hurricane 2007-2013
Magellan 2006-2010
Serrano 2009-2013
Windsport2006-2013

All of the motorhomes subject to this recall campaign are equipped with an RV Custom Products Battery Control Center (BCC) which may experience a failure while the vehicle is in operation. If the BCC fails while the vehicle is in motion, all power to the chassis portion of the motorhome is lost, including all lighting. If the power is lost to the motorhome chassis, the vehicle can become very difficult to operate, which may result in loss of vehicle control and increase the risk of a crash. In addition all vehicle lighting would be lost making the vehicle more difficult to identify for other motor vehicles.

What We Will Do
TMC will rewire the BCC and eliminate the potential of loss of chassis power. This defect will be corrected by TMC at no expense to you, the owner. The repair should take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

What You Should Do
You are to contact the nearest TMC dealer or repair facility to schedule an immediate repair of your motorhome. If you have questions concerning this recall or if you need any assistance such as locating a TMC authorized dealer or repair facility, please contact the TMC Warranty/Service Department by mail at TMC, P.O. Box 1486, Elkhart, IN 46515- 1486, or by phone at 877-855-2867.

If you had appropriate repairs completed prior to receipt of this recall notice, and if you incurred any direct cost in connection with obtaining such repair, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement from TMC by contacting the TMC Warranty/Service Department.

Notifications
We have notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of this recall and the procedures involved. Should TMC fail or be unable to correct the defect without charge, you may write to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Federal regulations require that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to lessee within 10 days.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our motorhomes.

Sincerely,
Nicole Short
Director of Customer Service

Re:
  NHTSA Recall No. 13V-265
  Transport Canada Recall No. 2013-217

Awesome Lesh.
Great of you to post this. I just came home from 9 days of RV'ing, and have yet to look through the mail.

Thanks

Erling

Hello ! I was surprised on how nice the sink works, the 29.2 is amazing we got ours last Oct had to wait through a long Alaskan winter and now we have covered 2200 miles and 12 campouts. Only a few problems wind shield leaks still does they have tried 3 times to re seal I just want it replaced. Squeaks a bit but lots of washboard gravel and anything will squeak. Using this blog I was prepared for the fixes with front end and the slide out, leveling jacks ect.. Everything does work well and I lve the storage. Enjoy!

Our windshield leaks also but is caused by replacing the scratched one it arrived with.  They install the nose and windshield as one piece at the factory so it is never the same after replacement.  I'm going to try a local windshield shop to fix the leak.  Dealer has tried 3 times.

Thanks for the recall notice. I just returned today from a two month trip up the eastern seaboard to Canada and back to Miami (6K miles) three days ago headed home while trying to deploy my levelers a strong burning odor was coming from the battery compartment, the jacks went into an all flashing alarm mode and the engine starting revving erratically between 600 and 100 RPM. After I shut the system down I noticed the battery compartment fuse was tripped. After resetting I tried to deploy the jacks again and them the hole house battery system just died. I drove home the last 300 miles with the generator. The chassis is dead. I already spoke to the Lippert customer service dept. they manufacture both the slide rails/motors and the jacks (excellent professional responsive customer service) I have an appointment for next Tuesday at North Trail RV service here in F. Lauderdale. I will also include this recall notice which may or not be part of the problem.
All in all the ACE 30.1 ran flawlessly through our trip. Averaged 8 MPG with the generator running 80% of the time while moving. We love the kitchen counter space on our 30.1 and the 32" HD TV works great with the factory crank up antenna. Plenty of hot water 24/7 (warms up in less than 10 minutes from off position)and the upgraded 15.0 AC system worked great during the hot days. More cooling than you will ever need at night. The only issue is with the TV mounting bracket on the 30.1 it got stuck about halfway during the trip which isolated our movie collection and access to the DVD player but not a big deal. The bracket thumb release is stuck. Ill let the service people worry about it. Again, thanks for the recall notice. Next trip is to Atlanta this coming October 17th. it will be our first Good Sam Club Rally.

We purchased our RV last month in FL and drove to NY. Then on home to PA. We camped twice on the long drive and then this last weekend we took it out with 5 teenagers. Love, love love it! Did not seem cramped at all with all those kids. I will have to do something with the bed when we sleep in it long term starting next year when hubby retires, as it is not very comfortable. Got a great price in Fort Peirce FL compared to other places. They were even able to register it in PA for us and just sent us the plate.

I have read some comments here about the sink and I feel like it is bigger (deeper) than the one in our TT. My brothers Class C has two sinks but they each are smaller than this one. There were a few rattles like the table and window and after reading through some of the posts they look like simple fixes. Glad we made the purchase.

Laurie

Lauriejen- we just put a thick memory foam pad on our bed and it is super comfortable.  We just got it at Target and it is about 4"thick.  It's a little longer than the bed, but we didn't trim it since DH is tall, he prefers the extra length.  It's just a little tough to squeeze past it.

We've never had any luck using the TV with the antenna. Don't know why.  So we pretty much just use videos. 

Our ACE hasn't had much use this summer.  We made the one WI trip, but cancelled our Springfield trip because we're selling our vacation cabin in central WI and buying a lake house in Northern WI and are just too busy!  We will be using the ACE to sleep in when we pack up the cabin and also we'll keep it parked at the "new" place to sleep in when we go up occasionally while we fix it up.

Next summer should be more exciting than this one.  The newborn really cramped our style!

We got the recall fixed the other day without any issues.  Not sure exactly what was replaced, but it was an easy quick fix.

We also had an issue with a bad smoke detector.  On our last trip it started chirping like the battery was going bad.  Once we put a new battery in there it started chirping again after a couple hours.  We decided to just remove the battery and go without for the remainder of the trip.  Little did we know that the smoke detector is hardwired to the LP detector so it started chirping.  Of course, we had no idea what is was at first.  It took a bit of time to realize what it was and why it was doing it.  Needless to say it wasn't very fun the last part of our trip.  To make it worse, one of our dogs is terrified of the chirping sound and was trying to dig her way out of the RV during all the commotion.  She ended up in the storage wall compartment by the steps/door.  It wasn't easy trying to drag her out of there.  Service center said it was a bad smoke detector so they put in a new one (free of charge!).  Let's hope it is completely fixed because we have another trip scheduled for Labor Day weekend.

jemz said:
We've never had any luck using the TV with the antenna. Don't know why.  So we pretty much just use videos. 

Double check that the antenna amp switch behind the TV is turned on.  On our 30.1 I turned it off one time, forgot, and then wondered why I couldn't get a single channel anymore in our driveway.  It should show a small green light when turned on.

I'm scheduled to get our recall done right after Labour Day long weekend and also get the main slide looked at which is leaving gap at the front top corner instead of closing fully like it did before.

I'm happy that we finally solved our windshield leak problem.  It's survived heavy rain and driving in the rain without leaking badly like before. I used a local auto shop windshield guy that filled the top behind the trim with caulking.  He wondered why the RV dealer only caulked/sealed the top left and right corners when they replaced the windshield.  I had tried 3 times to fix the leak at the RV dealership.

ebrabaek said:
I have read of at least one replacing it with a SS unit. There are plenty of room for more with, and the only thing you need to keep in mind, is that the deeper bowl you install, you will/might have interference with your under sink trash can. But is sounds like your going for with anyway. I would buy my 29.2 again....and again. But again... we got ours for $59.000...  :) :)

Ok, hello all.  Very long sad story, but I am back in the market for an ACE. For the above quoted person, that is the best price I've seen yet!! If you don't mind, what were your included options and where is you dealer???  Thanks..

Second question:

What has everyone's experience been with extended warranties regarding the Ace brand? The dealer in Alaska offered a seven year extended warranty included in the sticker price of $88,000. What is the normal price add-on for an extended warranty for an Ace???

Got the factory recall work done.  Not pleased.  It bypasses the solenoid/switch for the chassis battery.  Now you have to manually disconnect the engine/chassis battery at the source when storing to avoid the trickle drain caused by the radio, etc... argh.  Hope Thor comes up with a proper solution to re-enable the disconnect switch.

Next steps are for me to learn how they bypassed it.  I'd rather know how to bypass it in case of a failure on the road than lose the ability to disconnect it for storage using the switch.

Buffalo RV Direct dealer couldn't identify why main slide isn't closing fully at top front.  Fortunately it doesn't leak yet in the rain while driving.  Waiting on Thor to get back to the dealer on what to do.

Ran across a Holiday Rambler owner that had to take his unit the 6 hour drive to the factory in Elkhart, India to resolve his slide issues.  My dealership tech had no idea what to do.  Thor's factory is in Elkhart also.  Costly trip for gas and time lost for someone with a young family and a job.  Rambler owner is retired.

BCinTOR said:
Got the factory recall work done.  Not pleased.  It bypasses the solenoid/switch for the chassis battery.  Now you have to manually disconnect the engine/chassis battery at the source when storing to avoid the trickle drain caused by the radio, etc... argh.  Hope Thor comes up with a proper solution to re-enable the disconnect switch.

We didn't notice this after having the recall done.  However, my husband did notice that the trip odometer was no longer resetting itself like it did before.

How did you realize that there was a problem?  Our RV sat in storage for 2 weeks between the recall being done and us taking a trip.  We didn't notice any battery issues during that time.  However, the RV is back in storage until December and we don't want a dead battery when we head out on our next trip.

Lesh said:
How did you realize that there was a problem?  Our RV sat in storage for 2 weeks between the recall being done and us taking a trip.  We didn't notice any battery issues during that time.  However, the RV is back in storage until December and we don't want a dead battery when we head out on our next trip.

It will take a long time to drain the chassis battery, I expect much longer than 2 weeks, but my disconnect switch green light stays off permanently and the cigarette lighter power continues even if both switches are turned off.  So I haven't run into a storage problem but the tech confirmed I need to manually disconnect the battery wire for the 4 to 6 months that we store it for the winter.

One correction, my radio is on the coach battery not the chassis.

Worst case if you don't disconnect the battery and it's dead in December you can start the motor from the coach batteries using the override switch by the driver's seat.  It shortens the life of the battery though if they sit drained.

BCinTOR said:
It will take a long time to drain the chassis battery, I expect much longer than 2 weeks, but my disconnect switch green light stays off permanently and the cigarette lighter power continues even if both switches are turned off.  So I haven't run into a storage problem but the tech confirmed I need to manually disconnect the battery wire for the 4 to 6 months that we store it for the winter.

One correction, my radio is on the coach battery not the chassis.

Worst case if you don't disconnect the battery and it's dead in December you can start the motor from the coach batteries using the override switch by the driver's seat.  It shortens the life of the battery though if they sit drained.

Thanks for this info.  We are going to look into the issue further now that it was brought to our attention.  I can't believe that Thor would make a change like this.  Did they think it would go unnoticed?

I always disconnect battery when storing for long time. Last year I did that and when we came back from Australia after 9 months, I connected battery and battery was nearly fully charged. That was nice to see. I was worry that the battery will be drain out after 9 months.

Jan Stiskala said:
I always disconnect battery when storing for long time. Last year I did that and when we came back from Australia after 9 months, I connected battery and battery was nearly fully charged. That was nice to see. I was worry that the battery will be drain out after 9 months.

We live in Florida so there is no need to put the RV in storage for the "winter".  We don't usually go more than 3 months without using the RV so hopefully we don't have any issues with this change.

Back
Top Bottom