2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to the PA show and bought our first RV, ACE 29.2, after researching 3+ years. Scheduled for pickup 10/25/13 in Center Conway, NH. We are looking forward to becoming snowbirds in 4 years, meanwhile seasonal camping in the NE. Much thanks to everyone's info. on the forum.

btw, Ford offers everyone FREE 5 years roadside assistance 1 800 444 3311, including flat tire, gasoline, jump start, lockout, tow, etc. Not well advertised. Need to register with VIN, start date, current mileage...

Thanks, Erling! Having same Scraping/Rattling/noises complaint - recently acquired -lightly used- 2013 ACE 30.1. Threads indicate Schwintek motor/track rattling, or slide improperly installed. OTHER Solution posed is 1- some T-nut and bolt to replace the motor locking screw(found that); 2-and installing foam around motor; 3- and foam around long rod inside frame. All details visible on Lippert/Schwintek online pdfs. But NO info on how to make the fix. Any help from you, or owners who have 'had it fixed'. Unit is days out of warranty, so DIY is needed.  Outside frame is riveted, with full body paint; so minimal invasion is desired. I read all related threads (and Cass Sumrall's saga), seem close to solution, but cannot tear into it unless I'm sure.  Slide works OK, just noisy on the road / bumps, rough spots esp. annoying!

Edit: removed excessive quote.

My ACE had generator problems from the first time I took it out. It overheated while traveling. They placed shields on the fuel lines -- didn't correct the problem. They placed a vented door for air flow -- didn't correct the problem. I took it back, parked it in their lot, and said don't call me until you have a fix. The people at the RV dealer were very kind and understanding, but had to get a fix from Thor. They finally did just that. They have now moved the generator from its compartment on the driver's side by the engine to a compartment on the passenger side behind the duals. I've yet to try it in the heat, but I already feel better about it.

We fixed the "fallen" headboard issue by bending back the staples and putting some heavy duty 3M double sided velcro.  It worked great!  The headboard is back where it should be.  We also got a tempurpedic type pad for the bed.  I couldn't handle anymore nights on that horrible mattress.  I think I would have felt better sleeping on the floor.  It is ridiculous how low end stock RV mattresses are.  It is a much better sleeping arrangement now.

Thankfully we haven't had any issues with the recall draining the battery.  Knock on wood that continues to go well.

We are heading out this weekend for our first trip of the new year.  It's been 3 months since we were out and I am ready!  This is also the 2 year anniversary of us purchasing our ACE and we still love it!!  We are very happy with the decision we made.

This has been a great thread that I have been following for a while. 

We have been considering the 29.2 all winter and are going to see it again next week, but now we are also looking at the 30.2 because we always looked for bunks and many times over the years were on the edge of buying a Daymon daybreak with bunks for the kids since the 40 ft Toy Hauler is not a great fit anymore with a 2 and 5 year old.

But, I have not read much of anyone doing any towing with them.  Does anyone?    It wouldn't be all the time, but on some trips we would take our 2 axle trailer and Jeep.

Still on the fence about buying from a non mentioned dealer that BCinTOR says will not service his locally since he imported it from the US, or just driving to NY back for any repairs.  Both Dealers are a similar distance from us.

Unfortunately, we have not towed anything with ours yet.

We've had the ACE for 2 years now and been on numerous camping trips.  After all this time, the one thing I really can't stand about our model is the location of the TV.  They really needed to put a swivel arm on this thing.  It's just too high and positioned poorly versus the sitting arrangements.  You have to lay down on the couch and dining room area in order to view the TV without getting a neck ache.  The only time you truly get good viewing pleasure is if you are standing up.  Watching TV obviously isn't the main thing we do when camping so if there had to be something bad I figure this is a pretty good thing.

The TV location seems to be a problem in all models though.  Either the sitting arrangements aren't ideal for people to sit around and socialize or the TV is in an odd spot.  When I traveled in an RV as a kid, we had no built-in TV.  We had a small one with rabbit ears that we would bring out from time to time, but camping wasn't about watching TV for us.  I remember searching for my first RV and being surprised that they had built-in TV's.  At the time, I was like, why do we need that?  Now, we watch a movie just about every night we are camping and we leave the TV on during the day so that dogs have some entertainment.  TV isn't our main focus when camping but it's one of those things that really bugs you when you actually watch it and it's in a bad position.

And I have read that complaint about the TVs many times - no fixes that anyone has for an adjustable mount we could all purchase and use?

And, can we PM (private message) other users on the forum?  I have a couple of questions for the OP of the thread that are pretty specific to him only so  i was looking to PM, but I can always post in the thread also.

Thanks

Steve

I am also really interested in a 29.2 but would like to know more about it's ability to tow. I would be towing a 16' concessions truck in order to sell my products at various shows around the country. Typically it would end up weighing around 5000lbs I think, but it is specc'd to weigh up to 9000 IIRC. Twin axle with electric brakes. Would that be an issue?

[quote author=Shovover]That's always a silly rule, creating useless posts.[/quote]

Nothing to do with silly rules; It's one of a number of measures to help keep out spam bots. Please don't post superfluous messages just to get your message count up.

I checked the trailer specs I would be looking to tow.

It's a Wells Cargo 2-Ton Express Wagon model EW1622 with the 7'6" interior height, so 9'6" exterior height. Width is 8' length of body is 16' and overall it is 20'.

Hitch weight is 10-15% of curb weight and curb weight is 2370 so 237lbs to 356lb

GVWR is 7700, GAWR is 7000 and AVG Payload capacity is 5330

Anyone towed anything similar or have experiences towing with the 29.2 that they can share?

Hitch weight is 10-15% of curb weight and curb weight is 2370 so 237lbs to 356lb

Is this a trailer or is it 4  wheel truck? That would the empty weight?  I doubt you will be dragging it around empty.

For a trailer, best to use the  Payload weight or better still the GVWR for your estimate of pin weight. That would make the numbers considerably higher, 530 to 7795  lbs or 700 to 1000lbs (based on the lesser of GVWR and GAWR) !!! Pin weight for a 4 wheel vehicle won't be a lot as the payload weight is on the vehicle wheels. But......

The hitch on the coach itself also has a limit, likely 5000 total lbs and 500 lbs vertical weight or so and the coach has a CGWR If so.... you can see where this is leading!!

I really appreciate the help. I've only ever towed small ATV trailers with a pick up truck before so a lot of this is new to me.

The numbers are from a twin axle cargo trailer. Like this one.

http://www.horseclicks.com/img/adphotos/623/487623_wells-cargo-express-wagon-enclosed-trailer-ew1622_photo_0_1379457965_img.jpg

I wouldn't be towing it empty no, but I doubt I will be having it full. It's mainly being set up to sit inside and sell small products out of. Maybe if I take my motorcycle in it too, I will hit a few thousand pounds?

I guess I need to find out the CGWR right? I am new to all of these acronyms and what they mean to me in the real world :)

Here is one starting point:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Glossary#Weight%20Ratings

Good luck!!

Thanks. It looks like I am going to have to take it easy with what I put in the trailer but that's not too much of an issue as it is really only meant to be a display set up and to protect us from the weather at events. :)

In other news we put down our deposit on the 29.2 and are excited to get it!

Do you guys recommend getting any of the extended warranty options? I never usually bother on anything I buy but I hear that it may be more worthwhile with the RV...

manike said:
Do you guys recommend getting any of the extended warranty options? I never usually bother on anything I buy but I hear that it may be more worthwhile with the RV...

I think you will find that people are pretty split on that subject.  We purchased the extended warranty for ours.  We had a taillight leaking water into the storage compartment and we only noticed because the wall started getting discolored.  It was quite expensive to replace the entire wall panel inside the storage compartment....not something you would want to pay for on your own.  Having something like this happen so soon after purchase makes me wonder what will happen a few years down the road.  There are so many pieces and parts that could have issue that I worry about not having the extended warranty.  Others feel that you won't ever make back the money you put into it, especially if you plan to trade-up in a few years.  It's all a personal opinion.

In my experience, if you do trade up in a few months/years, you can get your money back from the extended warranty on a pro-rated basis.  Personally, we have bought it for our rigs, and have probably lost a little over the long term, but the peace of mind is worth something.  Like was said above, personal preference and a luck play a large part of whether it is a good decision to purchase it or not.  Good luck with whichever you decide.

Thanks guys, I decided to get the Mechanical Breakdown Protection and the Tire Protection (I will on occasion be pulling a trailer which would apparently be covered too). It came with a years Roadside assistance so I didn't get extra for that but can renew it after the year is up. It also came with Travel Assistance, but I can't see myself renewing that when it is up in a year.

Back
Top Bottom