2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you both for the replies!  We always seem to come across issues that no one else has had! :eek:

This thread hasn't been active in a while, but I'm wondering if any of you ACE owners are still lurking around?

I'm curious....HOW MANY OF YOUR STILL OWN YOUR ACE??

We are coming up on 6 years with our ACE and I have to be honest...the thing is a piece of junk.  We really wish we had spent more time looking around before making this purchase.  My grandparents owned their Winnebago for 25 years and that thing was pristine when all was said and done.  My husband and I thought we were buying an RV that would last us many years (especially considering they will give you a 30 year loan on the thing!).  We have taken really good care of it...it's always been stored inside a warehouse...and we've gotten routine maintenance.  No matter what we have or haven't done, every time we get in the thing something else breaks.

I've talked about some of the issues previously, but some that come to mind right now:
  • Every single blind in the RV (except the kitchen) has broken and we hardly put them up and down
  • On our holiday trip this year the motor died on the slide and we had to camp with the slide in for 1 week
  • The macerator pump has leaked/broken multiple times
  • The leatherette material is total crap!!!  We keep all of our furniture covered and it has all started to flake and fall apart.
  • The generator overheats ever since we did the recall that Thor required. During the summer the generator won't run longer than 20 minutes without overheating and shutting off.  We don't even camp in the hottest months any longer b/c our dogs were overheating during the drive to the campgrounds. We bought battery fans, cooling cloths and cooling jackets (for the dogs) to try to make summer trips without passing out from the heat while driving.
  • The front dash AC compressor broke.  It has been repaired, but from time to time it likes to emit a high pitched squeal.
  • We had a battery/electrical issue that caused our front door step to get caught out and we had to drive numerous trips with the step sticking out like idiots.
  • The cabinet hinges keep breaking.

I could go on an on.  I am well aware that we bought an entry level coach, but I had no idea that so many things would go wrong in such a short amount of time.  I figured that most people kept their RV for many years, but apparently that is incorrect as we were recently told by a dealer that on average RV's get traded every 3 years.  We've also had issues with our warranty company also, but that is a whole different story for another tread..needless to say DO NOT BUY AN INTERSTATE WARRANTY!!

At any rate, we've given up on this thing and will be trading it in soon.  I'm sure we will get completely ripped on the trade-in but at this point we can't take it anymore.  We will be getting something that is a bit larger and 100% better quality.  At this time we are looking at Newmars.  I will never again purchase a Thor product, I am 100% done with them.  Their QC and customer service are horrible.

So I was just curious if anyone from back in the day still has their ACE or if they were smarter than us and got rid of theirs sooner.  Anyone else had a bunch of issues or were we just unlucky?

Yep leather fell apart. Dash A/C quit just after I sold our 2013 ACE 30.1 spring of 2017. Fortunately our generator never overheated but we're in Canada so highest temp was 38 C while sitting in bad traffic with coach A/C running.

Overall I agree it's a poor quality product. So is the 2018 Thor Challenger 37TB I bought but I've worked through the 60 factory issues with the dealer. Took 4 weeks in the shop. I bought the devil I know. Hopefully I'll get 4 to 5 years out of it before selling again. I looked at Newmar etc. but price was such a big jump I didn't feel it's justified unless you intend to keep it longer than 4 to 5 years.

BCinTOR said:
Yep leather fell apart.

How did the screwed up upholstery effect your trade-in?  We are considering getting the driver and passenger chairs redone and the arm of the sofa that has no more material left.  Is the cost worth it to get a better trade-in value?

Yes, Newmar products are considerably more, but at this point I am willing to pay for the quality.  We always intended on keeping this RV for many years.  With the issues I'm surprised we lasted 6 years, but we would plan on keeping a new one much longer.

I was able to patch up the holes with a vinyl repair kit good enough to sell it privately. I sold it locally in Canada ~$7000 USD over what the dealer would offer on trade in. I shopped it around since I ordered mine in January 2017. I could have sold it immediately for a lot more in the summer of 2017 since there was record demand for motorhomes this year. :)

Whew, we haven?t had nearly the problems some of you had. We still like our 2013. It was not without problems, though. QC is a huge issue.
Also, good luck to BCinTOR?buying ANOTHER Thor with SIXTY factory issues! Doesn?t that qualify for the ?lemon law??
Regards, Harry

Harry Joe said:
Whew, we haven?t had nearly the problems some of you had.

Glad to hear that you haven't had the same issues!  We still really like the floor plan and overall it has worked really well for us...minus the issues.  I guess as a starter coach it was good, but it was just discouraging to experience so many issues so soon. 

There is a Thor forum that is full of people talking about how horrible Thor QC and customer service is.  It's a wonder people still buy their products.  One bad coach and I'm done with them and their subsidiaries for good!

Yes lots of complaints in forums about Thor. Statistically they'll have more since Thor sells far more RV's than other manufacturers and people are less likely to post their good experiences. Facebook has a good forum for Thor owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thormotorhomeowners/

I probably could have made claims under the Lemon Law but then I'd just be starting all over with another one with its own issues unless I switched manufacturers and paid the higher price. :)

Some flaws on the 2018 were dangerous like the generator main power line melting on the muffler.

I joined the Thor owners FB page but not seeing many negative responses there. We are looking at Class C's for a possible purchase next year. We want to take some cross country trips with the grandkids and a Class C sounded like a good idea. But $60-$70k for a decent MH and then have to purchase a toad plus the associated equipment to be able to tow, we will be in the $90-$100k range. Thinking we might just drive our Nissan Quest and hotel it.

Oldgator73 said:
But $60-$70k for a decent MH and then have to purchase a toad plus the associated equipment to be able to tow, we will be in the $90-$100k range. Thinking we might just drive our Nissan Quest and hotel it.

If you are only planning one trip then you shouldn't buy an RV.  I would check into renting one instead.  Campgrounds are a lot cheaper than hotels and you can make your own food so you don't have to eat out all the time.  I personally can't travel in a car long distances.  I was spoiled by spending my youth traveling in my grandparents RV.  I will always advocate for RV travel, but purchasing for a single trip is a bad idea.

Lesh said:
If you are only planning one trip then you shouldn't buy an RV.  I would check into renting one instead.  Campgrounds are a lot cheaper than hotels and you can make your own food so you don't have to eat out all the time.  I personally can't travel in a car long distances.  I was spoiled by spending my youth traveling in my grandparents RV.  I will always advocate for RV travel, but purchasing for a single trip is a bad idea.

I checked into a rental. It would run me at least $3,000 and that does not include the fuel. And that's only for 14 days. Our trip will be more like 30 days. We have a 17' TT. We'll take that and about every third night stay at a hotel. Even if we used the Class C as much as we use the TT I still could not justify $100,000 for a hobby. If I was fulltiming maybe (but probably go back to a truck and fifth wheel).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom