2012 Thor ACE 29.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  • alderdweller said:
    Thanks Lesh for the report. We went yesterday and looked at the 29.2. I didn't realize there was such a huge difference in the 29.1 and 29.2. We drove 3 hours to a Camping World that was open on Sunday.
    So today, we find out a CW about 2 1/2 hrs away has the 30.1. Now....I am really confused. lol. We will most likely drive down to see it, as the bigger closet space in bedroom would be a plus for us. I also liked the sofa and dinette being on same wall in front of tv, although it does cut down on counter space. I really don't do any heavy duty cooking in ours now.
    Decisions, decisions. It's all giving me a tremendous headache!

When we first started looking our dealer didn't have a 30.1.  Right before we signed the paperwork they got one in.  I wanted to look at it just to make sure we had made the right decision.  Well once I did we were stuck!  They are so different.  There were things that I liked about both of them and we took a week to make up our minds.

Reasons we didn't choose the 30.1: 
    • I didn't like the seating side by side.  I figured if people were just taking (no TV) it would not have been comfortable for everyone.  Also, I knew that when I was cooking in the kitchen I would be in the way of the TV.
    • As I mentioned before, I wasn't a fan of all the storage space being in the bedroom.  I wanted it spaced out more.
    • I didn't like how the shower was exposed when sitting in the coach.  Since the ACE has the rounded shower door it looked like the shower was falling into the hallway.  I also didn't like how the bathroom and bedroom where taken if someone was showering.
  • There was no way I could get over losing the large storage compartment in the back of the RV.  This is such a great space in the 29.2 and there was definitely nothing I loved so much in the 30.1 to give that up.

Overall, for us, the 29.2 feel more homey and comfortable.  I totally understand you dilemma though.  They are totally different layouts and meet totally different needs.  Let us know what you decide!

Also, there is more counter space in the 30.1 than the 29.1/29.2.  The TV is overhead like a cabinet, not on the counter.  You can actually "open" the TV and use the back side for storage.  It's like they mounted the TV as a cabinet front.  That was also really weird to me.  I was afraid constantly opening it would cause it to fall off.

Thank You for your feedback Lesh
I am Flying to US Monday and picking mine on Wednesday.
Hope to be happy as you are. Mind you I have no option to see this RV. I have to depend on Thor video.

My ace 29.2 was delivered yesterday and I confirmed with the dealer that the macerator is standard on this model.  I pick mine up in less than 2weeks  :)

Lesh were they all 29.2's on the lot that your dealer had or were the others 29.1.  I know the macerator does not come with the 29.1 standard.

jon

jjbescher said:
Lesh were they all 29.2's on the lot that your dealer had or were the others 29.1.  I know the macerator does not come with the 29.1 standard.

jon

We didn't look at the 29.1, only the 29.2 and at the very end the 30.1.  They had two 29.1, four 29.2 and then finally two 30.1 models.  Two of the four 29.2's didn't have a macerator because we looked at those.  When we finally picked ours the salesman was very surprised to find a macerator.  I have no idea what the deal is with this thing.  It's weird that the specs don't mention it being on the coach.

Jan and Harlee....I can't wait to see what you think when you pick up your ACE.  Let us know!  :D

I picked up wednesday afternoon.
Dealer promised to have it ready 9 am but I have to wait till 5pm. It was not his fault, Thor delivered RV to them week later then scheduled.
So far I am exited and Extremely happy with my purchase. Only think I don't like is type of globes used in all lights. I was hoping to be able to change to led lights but looks like that is not possible. I am in front of local Walmart for past 2 days, and have no problem with loosing much power or Water. This RV will be excellent for long term camping with out hook up.
I am bit in the hurry to equip and sort my space up. Will talk to you later, and let you know how happy I am after few miles driven.

Congrats Jan!  Glad to hear that you are pleased so far.

My husband was also not happy with the lights.  Our dealer said we could have them refitted when some that were more visually appealing but nothing was LED.  I didn't think they are ugly enough to to justify the cost of switching.

I agree with your husband. After using my Phoebe (I named my rv lol) for 4 days, I am starting to like the lights, and battery don't get drain to quickly by using them anyway.
I just discovered the extra storage under the dining seats, This could be easily used to smuggle 2 illegals from Mexico. Not that I would ewer try to do such a stupid thing.

The seats in our dining table are nailed down, is yours open?  We don't need the storage right now but it would be nice to know that it was a possibility.  We thought it was weird that there wasn't storage under there, but figured there was some reason.

We got back from our second trip in the ACE and are still completely happy.  All issues have been fixed after being in storage and we didn't run across anything new this time.  We are very, very pleased with the layout and features.  :)

Picked mine up last weekend, stopped for 2 nights on the way home.  This is a great motorhome and we are loving it.  Everything is working correctly and as it should.  We love everything about the motorhome so far, the generator is nice, the water heater does a great job, the AC will freeze you out, TV's all work nicely.  I couldn't be happier.

Only a couple small issues, the dinette table rattled loose, i had to re-install the base plate as the screws all rattled out for some reason.  The sliding rear door wasn't quite latched once and they slid open very quickly and off the bottom track.  I was able to fix that as well, just had to re-install the lower mounting hardware.

The coach has more than ample power, and I could go as fast as needed, although i preferred 65ish.

We are gonna have to get the little remote for the Radio(sold seperately) cause that is a long reach for either the driver or passenger.  Also going to have to see how to get the main tv to run while rollin down the road for the kids.  I thought it wasn't in the drivers sight so it could be run.

I'll have plenty more observations and questions but i can say that this is a beautiful motorhome and handles great with all the amenenities of much more expensive coaches from what i can tell(i'm a newby so who knows). 

fyi, the dinette seats in my coach are also screwed down but there is an outlet in one so you wouldn't want to store stuff around that anyway.

Our dinette hasn't rattled loose but the metal bars do rattle.  It's driving my husband nuts while going down the road.  Everything is in place so we are going to see if we can get some rubber fittings or pads to prevents the noise. 

I agree with the radio being a stretch for all.  My husband is always tell me to adjust the radio, AC, etc. controls but when I have 3 dogs in my lap it isn't easy to stretch over there!  ;D

The rattling of the table was bad so i just removed it while in transit, seemed to fix it :)  I think i'm going to install some felt on the inside just to keep the metal on metal rattling from happening.  The slide seems to creak on rough roads, but I expect this thing to make noise, its a moving house :)

Also going to have to see how to get the main tv to run while rolling down the road for the kids.  I thought it wasn't in the drivers sight so it could be run.

If your main TV is in view of the driver, it is unlawful for it to be operating while driving, regardless whether the driver is watching or not. Most coaches have it disabled when the key in the ignition is on. If this is so in your case then..... you pays your bucks and takes your chances by disabling that "feature". You might have a more difficult time explaining to a LEO if he spots it being on.

Not sure how its any different than a rear entertainment console on my Chevy Tahoe, I could lean back and watch that if i wanted(not safe for sure, but that console is perfectly legal)... however i understand your point, i'd just always heard it had to be out of sight of the driver.

mine is making squeaking noise just behind the driver seat above my head. I think that noise is made by slide out. Don't know how to fix this, but I can live with this .

I am beginning to think that their is an issue with the slide in the 29.2.  Perhaps because it is a new model?

When we went on our first trip there was no noise on the way up.  On the way back it was so bad we thought the slide was going to fall out.  The service center said that the slide awning was slapping against the coach when in motion so they retrofitted a piece to prevent this.  When we went on our second trip their was minimal noise going but it was much louder coming back again (but no where near as bad as before).  We thought that maybe we weren't putting the slide in all the way.  So we stopped and put it out a bit and then back it.  That seemed to help some but their is still a noise there.

The slides in the 29.2 and 30.1 are different from the 29.2 so maybe they don't have the kinks worked out yet.  I wonder if the other models are having this same problem?

Maybe I will stop at some place to look at this. I just don't know how to go about it since I live in the rv and travel to YNP right now.

I have not had the issues that you guys seem to be having.

We have some rattle, but not so bad.  As someone stated, it is a moving house.  Some of it was from one of the windows not being fully closed.

As for the storage on the dinette, I do not think they want us storing stuff in there because of the weight on the slide when it moves in and out.  We were told not to have anyone sitting on the slide when putting it in or out.

As for the TV, you need to have the Generator running to have it powered or get an inverter installed for that plug.  Did anyone notice that is a 24", not a 26" that the documentation online states?

jon

jjbescher said:
Did anyone notice that is a 24", not a 26" that the documentation online states?

jon

Interesting!  I knew that it was smaller than the one in the 30.1, but never paid attention to the actual size in there.

Does the location of the TV bother anyone else?  It only seems to work well when you lie down on the cough.  If you sit at the dinette it's awkward and neither of our driver/passenger chairs rotate enough to see the TV properly either.  It really needs to have a swivel on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom