Full Body Paint Wax or Polish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct78barnes

I read in my Winnebago owners manual to use Maguiars number M8132 polish . I have used it since May when we got our new coach.The problem is they have quit making it. So I was wondering what you have used. I called Winnebago customer service today and they said no past waxes no polimers and no silicone.Most of the new waxes have one our more of these in them. So what do you experts use on your full body paint

My, my. Picky, aren't they! I've never heard of that sort of restriction before. There are some European polish products that are silicone free, though. Autoglym makes some, for example.

I don't see what their concern may be. RVs use automotive-type paints, so any non-abrasive car polish ought to work fine.  Silicones & polymers aren't harmful to them, but they do have to be removed before any re-painting is done or the new paint may not stick. The same would be true of any wax product, though.

I use Protect-All for routine polish & protect, and Dri Wash n Guard for areas that need heavier duty polishing, e.g. the front cap where bugs and tar stick.

As far as I know, the paint used on Winnebago full body paint jobs is a Sherwin Williams color coat and clear coat.  Maybe CS is worried about some polishes yellowing with age.

You are probably right, John. Fleetwood also uses Sherwin Williams automotive paints and they don't have any prohibitions against silicones, polymers or waxes.    I just can't see what Winnie is worried about.

Thanks I called to CDI the company that paints all of Winnebago full body painted Coaches His name was Dave and he did not know that Winnebago had put anything in its owners manual about what to use on the paint. He is saying what you say that if it is good for your car it is good for there paint jobs to. But wanted to check with you experts to see if you agreed with Winnebago or not.

A friend that's been in the body shop business for many years told me a couple years ago when we bought a full body paint unit.  That with the paints and clear coat used today there is no reason to wax it.  His claim is every time you wipe the clear coat with a rag, towel, brush or whatever you use for washing or waxing it puts very fine scratches in the clear coat.  He said this gives later dust and dirt something to cling to and harder each time to get clean.  His advise is to first rinse as much dirt off as you can before using a very soft applicator & mild soap to remove the road grime.  And not to wash it any more than necessary. 

Modern car polishes are made for clear coat finishes and I see no risk of using them.  I would be very leery of using any traditional polishes, though, or any that claim to remove oxidation or "resotre color". Those have a relatively coarse grit and will scratch as howdymi's buddy says.

howdymi said:
... His claim is every time you wipe the clear coat with a rag, towel, brush or whatever you use for washing or waxing it puts very fine scratches in the clear coat. ..

That is a fact.  When we went to Alaska it was very problematic to keep the coach clean, once in a while (a rarity) we would be able to wash the coach at a campground.  The coach was so dirty, I wound up putting very noticeable scratches in the clear coat by not rinsing the brush frequently enough.  On our way back to somewhere (we were fulltiming at the time) we stopped at Winnebago factory service and paid to have the guys buff out the scratches.

This is an extreme example though.  I'm in Gary's camp - I see no reason why you can't use any auto polish and take care of the finish like you would for a favorite auto.

John Canfield said:
As far as I know, the paint used on Winnebago full body paint jobs is a Sherwin Williams color coat and clear coat.  Maybe CS is worried about some polishes yellowing with age.

In '07 they used DuPont paints on at least one model.

Shopping results for meguiars m8132 polish
Meguiar's BSP Hand Polish M8132
$18.32 - Jamestown Distributors
Meguiars BSP Hand Polish #81 (32 oz) - DISCONTINUED
$14.95 - Detailing.com
POLISH
$13.73 - R & E Paint Supply 

Do a search bet there is still some around, try ebay

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax. It takes me a full weekend and several brewskies, but the results are worth it. Just be sure that you are working in the shade or on a cloudy day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom