SAN-T-FLUSH Black water tank flush.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamper Dave

SAN-T-FLUSH
Our SAN-T-FLUSH (black water flush) system is clogged. I understand that it is most likely the in-tank spray nozzle. The manufactures photograph of the system shows the nozzle as a perforated plastic cone.
Has anyone had experience removing the nozzle from the tank? How was it attached? How difficult was it to remove?
It also seems odd to me that with a vacuum breaker in the system that it doesn?t freeze and break between the vacuum breaker and tank, especially if clogged at the tank.
If the nozzle is located in a hard to reach area, I may try to install a nozzle more convenient location. If it clogged after one year, it is bound to happen again.
Thank You in advance.
Kamper Dave

Dave,

Are you sure it's the nozzles that are plugged?

In my unit, there is a back-flow check valve built into the water inlet for the San-T-Flush where the hose connects, and it had died, preventing the water from reaching the tank.

It was simple to replace, and much easier to check that first.

Just a thought...

Ed

ED,
Good idea. I am hoping to find it in the basement area. Where was the breaker located? Was it brass or plastic? Did it have to be replaced?
Disconnecting the tank side connection of the vacuum breaker and charging the system ought to prove if it is working.
Thanks for your input.
Kamper Dave

On mine you just remove the 2 screws holding the San-T-Flush plate to the wall, allowing access to the inlet.

The check valve was on the back of the plate... connected directly to the hose connector on the front side of the plate.

It unscrews, replaced by a standard off-the-shelf checkvalve available at any RV store.

It might also just be plugged/jammed, and by inserting a small screwdriver or coathanger wire you might be able to unjam it.

Worth a look...  will take you all of 5 minutes to confirm or rule it out as the problem.

ED,
Thank you.
I hope it is that easy. The SAN-T-FLUSH has leaked since day one. I wonder if it was a cracked vacuum breaker all along. Time will tell.
Kamper Dave

My check valve is inside a bathroom cabinet. It was plastic and cracked allowing water to spray inside the cabinet whenever I used the flush system. It also has a vacuum break on it so it cannot possibly siphon. So, if you don't find it behind the panel look elsewhere.

Ken

Ken... thank you.
Now that you mention it.  When the flush system is being used there is a high pitched noise from the vanity sink area. I suppose it needs to be kept from freezing and high enough to successfully siphon back in both directions.
Sure hope warm weather arrives soon, so we can get the RV in shape for another season.

Kamper Dave

Shucks Dave, how hot do you want it. It was 81 in Phoenix yesterday. Oh, not everyone is south for the winter? OK, nevermind....... ;-)

Man, you really know how to hurt a guy.
It is about 33? F and very windy.
We were just watching (from a warm car) the "wind-surfers" out in the open water of Lake Michigan's big waves. Just watching them made me cold.

THANK YOU for the tips. It was clogged at the nozzle AND the check valve was frozen .

The vacuum breaker and check valve were under the bathroom sink. They are supposed to be above the toilet by code. When the vacuum breaker goes bad you will know by all of the water running out of the vanity. lol

The nozzle was at the tank drain bung. I thought that it would be up high. You were correct in that the nozzle fitting hits the frame.  I cut off about a ?? and managed to unscrew it. I then ran a snake through the hose and then flushed it out. The nozzle was paper mashie at its worst!  When the nozzle was clean, I attached it to the garden hose. There sure wasn?t much high pressure spray.

It is hooked up and working, but we cannot hear the spray hitting the tank interior as we did before. Maybe the new brass check valve restricts the flow. At least there is plenty of water reaching the tank through the San-T-Flush. I have no desire to drop the belly liner again. This time a bundled the wiring and hung it off of the liner. At one location the wires were run through a metal cross member and you could already see the wear on the wiring. I slit a length of vacuum cleaner hose and used it as conduit.

A tired Kamper Dave

It's a good feeling of accomplishment though to have done it yourself and even headed off future problems down the road with the wiring chafing.  Congratulations, hope the next problem is easier.

Ken

Ken,
You are correct and thanks again.
Do you see any reason for the vacuum breaker being that much higher than the tank?
If it were moved to the basement ceiling it would still be 12" above the top of the tank. If it leaked in the basement it wouldn't be a big deal. Flooding the upstairs would be a bad day for DW and therefore a bad day for others.

Kamper Dave ...... looking for more work.

I wouldn't change mine, just for the fact that they put it there for a purpose, not because it was the easiest place to put it. While I don't know exactly why they did it that way, I don't want to find the reason the hard way and then have to put it back. You will know there is a problem if it goes bad, and now that you know where and what it is, it'll be an easy fix.

Ken

I called Swan Manufacturing and they read the San-T-Flush installation instructions to me. The nozzle is supposed to be installed not more than 2" from the top of the tank. I guess the folks at the RV factory figure that they can save a few minutes by placing it in the drain hole.
I will be moving mine after returning home. I should have installed a zipper on the belly liner. lol
KD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom