I need new tires, but ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This is in The Shade Tree because it would be a comedy if I wasn't serious.

We're trying to get ready to hit the road (finally), but I've procrastinated over new tires for our coach. The last couple of weeks I've tried unsuccessfully to buy tires.

We live in the boonies, so there's nothing in the way of tire dealers/installers close to us.

A referral from a friend who buys a lot of commercial tires for his business resulted in a price over the phone for Yokohama tires and a promise to call back with other options. A follow-up call received a "oh you talked to xxxx, so no surprise he didn't call back, and I'll take care of you". Another promise of a call back, but nothing.

Meanwhile, I figure I'll try the FMCA/Michelin Advantage deal. After a few false starts, I finally register my CC with Michelin, and call their only dealer anywhere close to us. Everything is fine until I ask about his bays, and I hear "we have a big dip as you exit, but I can put ramps out there".

Yesterday we headed out to the big city to check out these tire guys. On the way, we stop at a relatively new Les Schwab outlet. I had a good feeling about these guys, but the only tire they sell in my size is Michelin and at a much higher price than the Advantage program. A phone call to their regional office, and the bad news is that they're not in the Advantage program.

Off to the first guy I talked with on the phone. A huge tire installer with a large inventory, and big bays, easy to get in and out of, after navigating narrow city back streets for some time. The only tire my size is Yokohama, the same load rating as our current tires, but lower than the Michelin. I ask about alternatives, and get this "made in America" speech. I ask about date codes, and he takes me out to his inventory. After crawling around stacks of tires for a while, he decides to ask the warehouse guy. This guy finds the tires on his computer, then pulls out a hard cover notebook filled with penciled notes. He hops on his electric pickup and eventually returns with a tire. The date code is kinda OK, but stamped on the tire is "Made in Japan". Not a problem, but so much for the 'made in America' speech.

Off to the second guy I talked with on the phone. I inadvertently pull into a different location of the same dealer. Talk to the guy there, and he's willing to help, although I'm in the wrong place. He gets on the computer, then I ask about the "dip"; He says "oh yes, you have to cross a river and, if you get stuck, they have a fork lift that will get you out".

This isn't sounding good, but off to their other location. Ignoring the nails on the ground at the entry to their one "big bay", the (narrow) exit has a huge dip into the gutter and onto a busy street.

I finally get in the car and tell the driver to head home so I can do more research.

Tom:

Just take the short route and save a little money. Buy the new m/h now. ;D

LOL Jeff. We're not going down that 'new tires' road.

where you be?

Lots of tires in Phoenix, they even come to you with the tires...

Guess you cannot call CoachNet and say you have 6 flats, unless for you, it's true...?      ;D

Jeff said:
Tom:

Just take the short route and save a little money. Buy the new m/h now. ;D

Jeff, Tom needs to buy new tires for the current coach, then buy a new coach. Been there, done that!

ken

Tom,

If you are coming south on 99 via Bakersfield, I can get a couple of tire place names for you so that you can call and discuss price.  One is right off of #99 easy on easy off and no dips.

Marsha~

We're more than 700 miles from Phoenix. There are probably places closer, but I'm too paranoid to drive very far on these tires.

[quote author=Marsha/CA]... I can get a couple of tire place names for you so that you can call and discuss price.[/quote]

Please do Marsha, thanks. We'd probably stop at Bakersfield for service also.

Tom said:
Please do Marsha, thanks. We'd probably stop at Bakersfield for service also.

Next time, the tire people at Quartzite had tons of tires and, the FMCA plan.

It will be a looong time before we're at QZ next.

Tom,

Here is the place we used, it's off of Highway 58 and Union, old downtown sort of place, been around for years.  Open area to get in/out.  I don't know if they have the arrangement with FMCA.

I'll have to dig for the one that is near the Freightliner facility in North Bakersfield and get back to you.

Marsha~

Parkhouse Tire Service, Inc. Hours
M-F: 7:00AM-5:00PM
Sat: N/A
Sun: N/A
115 Union Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93307
(661) 324-4532

Thanks Marsha, I'll give them a call. I'm not hung up on Michelin, but that higher load rating is enticing.

Looks like there are three possibilities for the Michelin Advantage program near Bakersfield:

• TCI, 3451 Unicorn Rd (on 99, north of town)
  • Daniels Tire Service, 4101 Armour Ave (on 58, west of town)
  • Tyacks Tires, 211 Sumner St. (near 178/204)
Any of these sound familiar? There are also a few Michelin dealers around Fresno and Modesto.

We got ours from TCI in San Antonio, they must be a national distributor.  They are large enough to insure that you will get fresh tires.

Thanks Ned. I hadn't made the TCI connection, although I saw your earlier posts. BTW the tire size on our Camelot is the same as your Endeavor.

I dread that, Tom found the dates for the outside ones on the old Eagle, they are 5 years old, but the inside back dualies the code must be inside and he couldn't see it. With everything else I'm seeing, I would bet they are old even though the tread looks like the rest, never used.  Before I take off I will have to go to a tire place and have them pulled to see.  They also need the steel stems so I can easily check and air them.

We have a big truck place at Conroe that sells the tires so I can get them there.  Can't say about price but its convenient.  Those sure will  be pricey dudes if I have to get some.

Tom,  TCI is the place I was thinking of.  We have not used them, just heard about them.  The Frieghtliner (sp?) dealer recommends them.

BTW, our tires are 255/80R22.5 XZE  we paid $3,600.00 for all 6 tires at Parkhouse on Union a year last May.

Marsha~

Tom, if you are anywhere close to Sacramento, give Radial Tire Co. in West Sacramento a call. They do mostly commercial truck tires, and gave me a great deal on Toyo's. I believe they also carry Michelin's.

It's probably too far for your comfort level  ::) but we got all eight new Goodyear RV tires last year from Purcell Tires in North Las Vegas (not far from the Flying J).  Jerry specified that he wanted good dates and Purcell really came through on that - every one of them was made the previous month.  Can't beat that!  Of course, paying the bill was painful but....

We've found that the Goodyear RV tires have a better ride than the Goodyears originally installed by Monaco.

ArdraF

Thanks all. Looks like I'll need to make some calls on Monday.

After a 6:15am start and a 95 miles round trip, we now have 6 new Michelins on the coach. I decided to go with the XZA2 Energy, load range J to replace the Goodyear G169's, load range H. Found Mccoy Truck Tire Center in Modesto, CA via the Michelin web site. Talked to them on the phone Monday and, although they had tires in stock, they ordered 6 "newer" ones from the Michelin warehouse in Reno, NV. The tires were on the truck from Reno to Modesto yesterday (Tues), and they called me late yesterday to tell me the date codes (within 3 months).

They put 3 techs on our coach, and were done in 90 minutes. I chose to balance all 6 tires, and replaced the SS flexible extensions with rigid ones.

A great savings using the Michelin Advantage program. Thanks to Ned for the heads up on the program, and thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Time to go shopping for a new coach  ;D

Back
Top Bottom