I need new tires, but ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of our forum members travel many more miles than we do, and they might have a different perspective on tire age.

Our M/h had tires replaced by National under a recall in 2003 with 8,000 miles on them. The tires were produced in 2002.  We replaced tires in 2008 with 53,800 miles on them because of tread wear on the rear duals. The tires were discounted an additional 15% because they were 9-12 months old when they were mounted in February 2008.

Those tires are now 5 years old but have 63,000 miles on them and the rear duals tread depth probably can make it through another summer but I am having trouble seeing the risk/benefit of another 8 months/12-14,000 miles so I may replace them before we leave in May. Also while here in Phoenix we have a good tire dealer (Purcell) who is part of the Michelin program.

Maybe we'll slow down one of these days and get to enjoy the benefits of 7 years out of a set of tires.

Of course the option is to...........

Tom said:
Jim,

Typically, motorhome tires typically never wear out; They rot out first, posing the risk of a potential blowout on the highway. We have an unscientific rule of thuimb here in the forum that 7 years is when one should be looking for replacements. There are arguments about whether temperature &/or storage conditions affect that duration, so the real usable time might vary.

Our tires were 10 years old. We didn't use the coach in 2011 or IIRC the latter half of 2010, but I'd have bought new tires before making a trip, as I just did. I crossed my fingers all the way to the tire dealer, and let my driver know she should take it easy (i.e. not go too fast) and not make any sharp movements maneuvers.

When those "old" tires came off, they looked in pretty good condition. Only slight treadwear, and no signs of problems on the walls or inside. Who knows when they might have popped, but I feel a lot more comfortable with the new ones installed.

I know well about looking good and not being good...blew a 13 year old front tire in W,Va..limped to Va Beach on the spare..bought 2 new tires @ $800 ...In Maryland blew a rear inside tire..had to limp to Delaware, 40 miles, and got 2 more...$575 ...on my way last week blew another duel inside on left in Indiana ..that set st me back $600...
Really hope this trend has stopped...at least I have 6 new tires and a fairly new spare...I'm tired of hearing those loud bangs...on the plus side...no coach damage..
I am defiantly a member of the 7 year club .....Amen

When we bought this coach, I had the dealer take our prior 15 year old coach off my hands. They arranged for a wholesaler to come to our house and pick it up. When the wholesaler called, I told him he'd better bring a new battery and plan on buying replacement tires. He wouldn't listen, and turned up with a battery charger.

Two hours later, he went into town and bought the cheapest battery he could find, and the coach fired right up. But he was determined not to buy tires. I watched as he backed the coach out of our side yard and onto the driveway. Before he reached the street, two tires popped, one on each side in the rear.

He wasn't fazed, and proceeded to drive the coach to his lot almost 100 miles away.

Tom, now that is a funny chain of events. Difficult to wrap one's mind around  it.

Almost good enough to warrant a re-post to the Post a Joke topic.

Oh well, I love dry humor.

Carson

Aye Carson. The sad thing is that some unsuspecting soul probably bought the coach, thinking they were getting a good deal.

There were far more serious (expensive to fix) problems with the coach, which was why I didn't try to trade it or sell it privately. I charged the dealer the legal minimum of $1, wrote it up as an "as-is" deal, and declared everything I could think of on the DMV paperwork.

I wasn't going to pass on my problems to an unsuspecting buyer, but some of these wholesalers have no scruples.
Edit: Fixed typo.

Closure on the insane credit card authorizations and charges; The dealer's charge was reversed yesterday.

Tom said:
When we bought this coach, I had the dealer take our prior 15 year old coach off my hands. They arranged for a wholesaler to come to our house and pick it up. When the wholesaler called, I told him he'd better bring a new battery and plan on buying replacement tires. He wouldn't listen, and turned up with a battery charger.

Two hours later, he went into town and bought the cheapest battery he could find, and the coach fired right up. But he was determined not to buy tires. I watched as he backed the coach out of our side yard and onto the driveway. Before he reached the street, two tires popped, one on each side in the rear.

He wasn't fazed, and proceeded to drive the coach to his lot almost 100 miles away.
And I bet he filled them with goop and sold it 'as is'!!!!

I have no doubt he sold it 'as is', and probably cleared $10K or more.

I'm getting worried about the unofficial forum "new tires" rule. i.e. buying new tires will result in you buying a new RV/vehicle in the near future.

A couple of months ago we spent several weeks in southern CA. Before leaving, I put new tires on the coach. While in southern CA, we looked at various new/used coaches, but survived the emotional grab, and came home.

When we got home, I put new tires on the Suburban (our toad). It (the Burb) works great when the expanded family is aboard, so no plans to replace it.

Last week I put new tires on Chris' Lexus; The third set of tires on a car with less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

This week I took my Lexus in to have wheels balanced and tires rotated. Turns out there's a misalignment in the front end that caused some tire wear on the inside of the front tires, and the rear tires were cracked. I didn't screw around, and had them put new tires on. The upside was that their inventory was 'wrong', and they gave me their top-of-the-line tires for the mid-line price I was quoted.

We tend to keep our vehicles forever, and have no plans to replace any of them. OTOH if we come up on the lottery, we might reconsider  ;D

Tom said:
I'm getting worried about the unofficial forum "new tires" rule. i.e. buying new tires will result in you buying a new RV/vehicle in the near future.

A couple of months ago we spent several weeks in southern CA. Before leaving, I put new tires on the coach. While in southern CA, we looked at various new/used coaches, but survived the emotional grab, and came home.

When we got home, I put new tires on the Suburban (our toad). It works great when the expanded family is aboard, so no plans to replace it.

Last week I put new tires on Chris' Lexus; The third set of tires on a car with less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

This week I took my Lexus in to have wheels balanced and tires rotated. Turns out there a misalignment in the front end that caused some tire wear on the inside of the front tires, and the rear tires were cracked. I didn't screw around, and had them put new tires on. The upside was that their inventory was 'wrong', and they gave me their top-of-the-line tires for the mid-line price I was quoted.

We tend to keep our vehicles forever, and have no plans to replace any of them. OTOH if we come up on the lottery, we might reconsider  ;D

Tom:

You bought the tires but we ended up with the new coach. ::)

Maybe the 'unofficial rule' should be changed to include "Get an expensive new paint job, then buy a new coach"  ;D

Tom you should have contacted this guy over here in England. He suppies all clubs RV tyres.

http://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/members/brianjojosh.html

He would have got you a good price and have them shipped back over to you.  ;D 8)

Opppppppppppps sorry should have put this post in your other thread.

Mike, I'd think that shipping would make that cost prohibitive, apart from paying for his (probably huge) markup  ;D

Tom, you have been away from the old country toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

LOL, maybe so.

That was supposed to be a joke.

I know, and I omitted this from the end of my reply:

"Those tires would qualify for frequent flyer miles  ;D "

Supermike, take it easy on TOM...he will be 65 years old soon. Then he will be a geezer. Also he is an engineer and therefore exempt from understanding great jokes.

I am 1/2 engineer and older as well, so that must mean I know what I am talking about...triple ;D ;D ;D

Carson, I don't understand your math or your logic. ???  Stay out of the sun for a few days and your condition may clear up. ;) :D

[quote author=carson]Then he will be a geezer.[/quote]

LOL Carson, does that mean I can tell the kids, grandkids and greatgrandkids that they've been wrong all this time - I'm not yet an old geezer?  ;D

Back
Top Bottom