Looking to fulltime with two small children and possibly a third.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nieecers

My husband and I are likely to begin fulltiming within the next 6 months. He has a job that gives him the flexibility to move around, and I am a stay at home mom. Our children are 1 1/2 and 8 1/2 months old, and my husband also has a 12 yr old daughter who will be visiting for 5 weeks in the summer.

My questions:

1) We are looking to get a travel trailer or 5th wheel for $20-35k, including the truck to pull it.  We think we have found our dream trailer for $25-28k (The Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH - http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4762369.htm) A 35 ft travel trailer with 3 slide outs (2 in the bunkhouse).  However, the 32TSBH really pushes our price range.  Are there any other recommended models for traveling and living with 2-3 children?

2)The hubby and I will be homeschooling.  We both have backgrounds in education, but no professional certifications.  We are looking to live 8 months in the Palm Springs, CA area and 4 months in the OH/KY/IN region.  How would the moves affect homeschooling and registration, and which states are friendliest toward homeschooling families?

Thank you for reading my post.

Denise

If you're going to spend 8 months a year in California, you'll have to register your vehicles in California. Can't help with home schooling info.

There is an organization for home schoolers that can probably give you some assistance with the legal aspects - Home School Legal Defense Association.  www.hslda.org

We're members and have been happy with their service/information provided.

Welcome!

The Jayco 32TSBH has a GVWR (the most the loaded trailer can weigh) of 10,500lbs. 

http://www.jayco.com/jaysrvcentre/inventorydetail.php?inventory=673399

There are some half-ton (think Ford F150) pickups that can tow this weight, but it's a stretch.  Usually the "max trailer tow" weight for a truck includes 150lbs for a driver (payload) and that's it.  So if you are going to look at trailers that large, you probably want to consider a 3/4 ton truck.

How big of an RV you need depends on what works for you.  We are currently full-timing in a 25' TT.  Yes we plan to upgrade very soon, but it's working... for now.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom