Using Your Smartphone with the stock Winnie "RV Radio".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duner

Thought I'd share how I use my Droid X when I'm traveling in my Winnie.

On my 2004 dash radio, the Aux input is two RCA plugs in the back.  So at Radio Shack, I bought a cable with RCA plugs on one end and 3.5 mm plug on the other.
The radios on newer rigs probably  have a 3.5 mm input right on the front, so then you just need a 3.5mm plug to plug cable.  Or if your radio has bluetooth, you can use that.

Here's the apps I use before. during and after a typical trip.  CAUTION: Some of this must be done by the co-pilot to be safe.

!) Put the destination in Google Navigation and check the traffic conditions and time estimate to 1st stop.
2) Turn on The Weather Channel app to check weather conditions along the route and at the destination.
3) Turn on the Pandora app and listen to my favorite music from the internet.
4) Turn-by-turn navigation will temporarily override Pandora and give me loud clear directions via the 7 speaker sound system.
5) Incoming voice calls will also pause Pandora and you can clearly hear the caller over the big speakers and the Droid X has excellent noise-canceling speakerphone mics.
6) Use Gas Buddy app to find best price for fuel along the route.
7) If you don't need turn-by-turn navigation, turn on Ulysse Speedometer.  It reads mph, elevation, compass heading, average speed, miles traveled, time, date, and phone battery life.  At night you can turn on HUD (heads up display) and move your phone to read your speed reflected off the windshield.
8) When you arrive, use bubble level tool app to get the rig level.
9) Use compass app to align the satellite dish.
10) After you hook up with your friends, use Calendar app to save the time and dates for the next rv trip get together.
11) Use Expense app to record cash transactions.
12) Use myErgay to view my solar energy production and SCE power consumption back at my house.
13) Turn on PDAnet app and use usb cable to connect laptop to internet ....3g signal must be available.

I'd be interested in other apps that folks use on their rv trips.  I'm sure there's got to be a few other gems that we can talk about here.

Happy Trails,
Bill

Takes all the fun out of getting lost in strange territory or ending up on a dead end road without any space to turn around... :D

Bill,

How do you get the music from the Droid with Pandora App to flow thru the RV Radio. Do I need to set my Droid to another setting. I do have it connected with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and the radio is set to the AUX 1 channel.

Thanks,
1Sammiedog

If you can hear it through the Droid headphone jack with earbuds, it will play through the radio.  Check the radio settings.

I have the same radio setup. Any suggestions for easy assess to the back ot the radio so I can plug in my rca connectors? Looks like four slits, (2 each side) are for a removal tool of some kind.

I have an iPhone, but most of these are probably also available for the Droids.

For navigation, I prefer CoPilot Live. I find that it does a better job than my TomTom. For an extra $8 a year, you can add in the same functions as in Gas Buddy. You can also enter your height and it will avoid routes with low clearance. While traveling, iExit will list the services available along the interstate.

The topo maps in Gaia GPS can be very helpful for hiking, paddling, or mountain biking.

Another handy app is AllStays Camp & RV. It manages to locate even the most obscure campgrounds. It will also locate other overnight stopping places such as Walmarts, truck stops, etc. There is a companion app AllStays RV Dump.

Joel

Director said:
I have the same radio setup. Any suggestions for easy assess to the back ot the radio so I can plug in my rca connectors? Looks like four slits, (2 each side) are for a removal tool of some kind.

Can't you lift your dash up for access to the back of the radio?

I replaced my dash radio last year, the new one will interface with my iphone to actually control Pandora from radio, as well as ipod type functions including displaying artist title etc.

With my service though, Pandora might eat up data limit. 

Most dashes will lift, getting you to the back of the radio if needed.

Back
Top Bottom