Do RV parks charge for electricity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think my usage with a 50 amp vehicle is any different than a 30 amp - nor would either be beyond what a park owner could anticipate to include in the charge. However, having said that a solution that I would support exists. In the EPA truck stop electrification demo program, a trucker parks his rig next to a power pedestal and goes over to an ATM like machine and purchases a set amount of power that he can receive while there. Eliminates guesses about rates or usage.

Ned,

It sounds like we have the same Surge Guard. Partly due to space constraints, I mounted the SG in a location where I have to kneel or bend down and look around the power cord reel in order to see the lights. I won't be moving it unless/until I replace the cord reel.

Of course, right now we have no hot water as the HWH sprung a leak and we can't get it fixed until Monday in SLC.

Does that mean you can't shower, or are you using propane while plugged in?

FWIW some coaches have either higher power or two electric heating elements in the tank. Ours doesn't. Single or lower power means that, if one of us takes a shower, the second person can't hop in right afterwards. because it takes a long time to re-heat the water. If the first person is me, then the water is cold before I'm finished.

When I got up this chilly morning, I remembered another item we rarely use when plugged in. The heat pumps in our coach are really noisy (more correctly, the fans are noisy). I turn on the furnace to take morning chill off rather than run the heat pumps. In addition to being quieter, the furnace does a better/quicker job of raising the temperature.

Now if only I could get the A/C to run off propane  ;D

Leo,

Like you, our usage plugged into 50A rarely exceeds 30A. OTOH if it's very hot outside, I'll have both A/C units running while plugged in.

We are parked in a older park in Illinois for a month and when we arrived the 50 amp plug was inop. Since it was cool I made the mostake of telling the owner not to worry about it, until we needed air we could run off the 30 amp plug. We have a few circuits (like the chassis battery charger that run off the (other) side of the 50 amp plug but worse was that we managed to pop the 30 amp breaker at least once every couple of days.

Didn't realize we had become so dependent on all that power. ??? ??? ???

We're not showering so we get to spend a lot of time alone :) ?No, we're using the campground showers and minimal dishes this week. ?Using propane wouldn't stop the leak.

You must either have a 6 gallon HWH or a really small electric element. ?We have never run out of hot water using the electric heating. ?We only use propane when boondocking. ?We have a 10 gal. HWH.

I'm running the front heat pump right now and it's much, much, quieter than the furnace. ?I can hear the music over the fan without changing the volume and we could carry on a normal conversation without any problems. ?Maybe you should have your units looked at.

If I were to replace the Surge Guard, I'd get the one with the remote panel and mount it in the motor home for easy checking. ?I've had power outages and I have to go around to the utility bay to check the unit to see if that's were the problem lies. ?Even a momentary outage or even brownout will cause the 2:14 delay before power is restored and seeing the lights would tell me that immediately.

Ned said:
Using propane wouldn't stop the leak.

Could you tell that I just woke up?

Maybe you should have your units looked at.

Maybe, but a friend claims mine are much quieter than his. Location could have a lot to do with it; The heat pump in the living area is almost right above where we sit, whereas the fan for the furnace is back in the corner at floor level. Since my days working in a steel plant, I have to avoid noisy stuff and places because it drives me crazy. In extreme cases, my ears shut down.

If I were to replace the Surge Guard, I'd get the one with the remote panel...

Me too, but I'm not planning on replacing mine, just possibly relocating it to where I can see the lights easier.

Tom said:
Now if only I could get the A/C to run off propane  ;D

Tom, careful what you ask for. Our first FMCA convention was Ames, IA, brutally hot and FMCA turned off all generator restrictions. We had a propane generator at the time and had to make 3 runs into town to refuel :mad:

LOL Bernie. If we were away from shore power and in a 'generator OK' area, I'd simply run both A/Cs from our diesel-powered generator.

We encountered several parks last summer that charged extra  for 50AMP. Several were $3 and one was $5. Even one park  that had 15A as st'd, 30A was $3 and 50A was $5 extra. They had locked outlets on both the 30 & 50A plugs. You had to request that they unlock them at checkin tiime.

Chet18013

Interesting Chet. I have no qualms about paying for more electricity if I know about it up front, but I think I'd avoid a park that felt they had to lock the receptacles. It sends a message that they think their customers are theives.

Tom said:
Interesting Chet. I have no qualms about paying for more electricity if I know about it up front, but I think I'd avoid a park that felt they had to lock the receptacles. It sends a message that they think their customers are theives.

ABC in Branson, that gets guests top rating in GS Magazine, has all ways had locks on their pedestals. So, it would appear it doesn't lower the guests good thoughts about them.

blueblood said:
So, it would appear it doesn't lower the guests good thoughts about them.

That's because I haven't stayed there Leo and I won't now that I have your heads up  ;D

Tom said:

Unfortunately, some are. And electric is one way they will try to rip off the park. If a post has both 30 and 50A service and the renter pays for just use of the 30A -- many will go ahead and use the 50A anyway. And the lame excuses if caught are priceless at times.  ???

I
don't think my usage with a 50 amp vehicle is any different than a 30 amp ...

Whoa Nelly!  I have 30amp circuitry in my little TT.  It powers a fridge, the blower of a gas heater, microwave, and house outlets plus battery charger.  When the unit is at my home, sitting in the driveway, waiting to go to storage or on a trip, I plug it into a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the garage.  I have run the A/C in the trailer on that 20 amp circuit without popping a breaker, or the GFI it is on. 

If your unit has 50amps, it is because you need to satisfy your demand.

Carl Lundquist said:
If your unit has 50amps, it is because you need to satisfy your demand.

Carl san,

That's true only if you turn everything on. I've run our coach on a 20A receptacle numerous times by merely managing the loads.

Respectfully,
Grasshopper.

Grasshopper,

You managed on a 20 amp circuit -- indeed.  Now consider the average land-yacht owner with two door fridge, sattelite TV, 1000W microwave, electric water heater,  dual A/C, and a few thousand watts of patio lights.  That lad would explode a 20 or even 30 amp circuit.
Meanwhile those in little tow boxes on wheels merely sip at the spring of Consolidated Edison. 

8)

Carl Lundquist said:
I
. ?When the unit is at my home, sitting in the driveway, waiting to go to storage or on a trip, I plug it into a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the garage.? I have run the A/C in the trailer on that 20 amp circuit without popping a breaker, or the GFI it is on.? ?

That's exactly the same words I can use to describe my situation with my former 36 ft Discovery diesel pusher.

Ah so, Carl san. Your wisdom is apparent once more.

Ah so, Karl san. Your wisdom is apparent once more.

Grasshopper,

It is good you have attained this new level of understanding.? ?We shall now work on the next level of your path to Tao.

The bloody name is spelled Carl.!!

Meditate on this.

There will be a 10 minute quiz on Monday.

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom