Diesel Pusher storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asabound

I will be storing my DP/Motorhome at a storage facility as my home owner association doesn't allow for RV storage at home. Do you guys leave your coach plugged in to electricity ? How is that handled? I don't foresee storing ours more that 3-5 weeks at the time, I am just trying to get a feel for what most people do as well as for what's in the best interest of the coach.....

We store ours at a storage facility for months at a time, partly because of space and local ordinances. Storage is undercover (so no opportunity for solar), and power is not available. I ensure that the batteries are disconnected (via switches), and even installed an additional switch to isolate some loads that were hooked directly to the batteries.

This is not the ideal solution, but works for us.

I also store away from home for 5-6 months each year. I disconnect batteries, cover tires, drive up on pads and on a monthly basis start engine and gen and run all systems. Keeps me off the streets.

We don't start ours during storage periods; We subscribe to the school of thought that says "don't start it unless you plan to get it up to temperature". YMMV.

We are lucky to have an RV garage attached to the house so the motorhome is always totally covered and we don't have to worry about the elements.  When we're at home the motorhome is plugged into 50-amp power so the batteries stayed charged.  Just before arriving home we fill the fuel tank so condensation doesn't form in it.  We also dump and clean the waste tanks and put some water in the black tank to avoid sludge hardening.  Finally, we fill the fresh water tank so we have good water in case of an emergency, but people who live in hard freeze areas can't do that.  After cleaning out the inside of the refrigerator with soap and water I leave the doors open so mold doesn't form.

In our previous home the motorhomes were outside and we did pretty much the same thing - except we made very sure all the overhead vents and windows were closed!  We also closed all the drapes and shades to prevent fading of fabrics.

By the way, like Tom we don't start the engine at all during storage.  As long as the batteries are kept up it's okay.  In one of our earlier gas Class Cs we weren't able to use it for a year.  Before starting it, Jerry cleaned the spark plugs and put on the trickle charger (don't think we had a plug back then but disconnected the batteries).  We held our breath when it came time to start it, but it started right up without any issues.

ArdraF

I purchased another home without HOA restrictions just for the motorhome.  So I now park on my new pad with 50 amp electricity.

In the past, we parked at a pricey storage facility with a roof over us and paid an extra $30 per month to have a 30 amp plugin.  Mainly just kept the batteries up, but also could cool the refrigerator and air condition the unit before leaving on a trip.  I agree with the above posters about the last clean up and running the engine.  I have started the generator and let it run under load for an hour every two months.

I have left the coach without any power outside and the 10 watt solar panel that everyone says won't work will keep all of the batteries topped off.  Just turn off the house battery disconnect switch and park in the sun.

Tom said:
We don't start ours during storage periods; We subscribe to the school of thought that says "don't start it unless you plan to get it up to temperature". YMMV.

When I start the gen I run on it at least 1/2 load by turning on 2-3 air conditioners etc and run for 45 min to 60 min, and in that time the engine gets up to temp also.. It gives me time to reorganize the basement and check for little creatures.

Storage at my place is easy,, walk out the back door,, walk thru the attached enclosed patio,, into the attached 40X45 garage and there she is,, ready when I'm ready.>>>Dan

Does anyone add an additive to their fuel for long storage periods? Up north here we do it to most our equipment

I add biocide to our diesel tanks if I anticipate a long period of storage. Helps prevent the growth of algae. Here's one example of biocide. Filling up the tank before storage helps limit moisture.

What about when you're staying in it for months at a time?  I know that the batteries will all be charging since we will be plugged into 50 AMPS, but what about the engine and the generator...do you start them while you're parked or are they fine left off?  TIA...sorry, if it's a stupid question, but it's one I hadn't thought of before now!!  LOL

Mikie

We just fill the tank before parking for a lengthy stay and don't add anything.  It's a good idea to run the generator about once a month, under load, for long enough to get it up to temperature, but don't run the engine unless you're going to drive it far enough to get it up temperature.  Just idling an engine is worse for it than leaving it off.

Ned,  Which tank are you referring to?  Gas/water?  Thanks for the info.  We will be staying in ours for 10 weeks straight.

Mikie

Fuel.  We also keep a half tank of fresh water when parked in case of a water outage.  We park for months at a time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom