Not sure what's up with my AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Pack Fan

We've got a 2005 National Dolphin 5320.  I started the gen the other day to circulate the oil and let it warm up, then do a load test.  I'd heard it was a good idea to periodically put it on a load for a bit during the off season.  I figured I would run the ac for the load test.  I set the thermostat as low as it would go which was several degrees below the outside temperature.  Outside temp at the time was high 40's.  It never came on after several minutes.  I checked the gen set breakers, all of the other breakers and the fuses.  Non were tripped and everythig else in the coach had electricity.  I gave it a light load with the TV's, and microwave.  There is a switch in the drivers side, rear most compartment.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any idea's or suggestions?

Wolf Pack Fan said:
We've got a 2005 National Dolphin 5320.  I started the gen the other day to circulate the oil and let it warm up, then do a load test.  I'd heard it was a good idea to periodically put it on a load for a bit during the off season.  I figured I would run the ac for the load test.  I set the thermostat as low as it would go which was several degrees below the outside temperature.  Outside temp at the time was high 40's.  It never came on after several minutes.  I checked the gen set breakers, all of the other breakers and the fuses.  Non were tripped and everythig else in the coach had electricity.  I gave it a light load with the TV's, and microwave.  There is a switch in the drivers side, rear most compartment.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any idea's or suggestions?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some ac's have a sensor of sorts that prevents them from coming on when the outside temp is in the 40's.  Others with more technical knowledge will, I'm sure, be along shortly to add additional info.  Do you by chance have the heat pumps in your ac's?  If so, they should turn on in the 40's and work the gennie.  A small electric heater can also be used. ;)

Wolf Pack Fan said:
Yeah I think I might have been.  Why?

If I run my hall fantastic fan which is near the thermostat it takes forever for the AC to kick in (maybe the air movement causes a problem). I though I had an AC problem, but turning off the fan solved the issue. Still took quite a while because it was cool outside. I was also trying to "load" the gen.

ken

The A/C in my house won't run if the temp is below about 60? outside -- I expect that A/C for RVs has similar limitations. On my Bounder I can run the front unit (which is a heat pump) at lower temps, but only as a heater.

You could get a couple of small ceramic (or similar) heaters and run them on high (often 1500 watts apiece) to provide a load -- good when camping in cold weather with shore power, too.

Larry N. said:
You could get a couple of small ceramic (or similar) heaters and run them on high (often 1500 watts apiece) to provide a load -- good when camping in cold weather with shore power, too.
I use a single 1500 watt heater plus I run the A/C - furnace blower on high.  That seems to be close to half load on the generator which should be adequate exercise.  I let the generator run for about an hour with that load.

"Outside temp at the time was high 40's."  Agree with the others, don't believe your going to get that aircon to come on in those temps.  Either load with small AC heaters or Marsha's choice if they are heat pumps.

Sounds like the temperature issue has a lot to do with it.  Meeting with the owner of a RV garage today.  Not an RV meeting but I'll inquire with him about it.  Thanks all for the replies.

Most a/c and heat pumps do have a "freeze" detector" but I doubt if it would activate at the high 40's, and almost certainly not until the unit had run awhile.  The detection is usually based on internal temperatures at the heat exchanger, not external ambient.

My heat pumps run fine down to around 38-40 degrees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom