1.5 baths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Tim and I are "toying" with buying a new coach and have begun to "look around a bit".  One of the floor plans I really like are the ones with 1 & 1/2 baths.  Someone we talked to recently mentioned that there have been some issues with the 1 & 1/2 baths.  Has anyone had a problem or heard anything about them?

Marsha~

Marsha,

We have a bath and 1/2 and have no issues whatsoever with it. We love it.

Prior to having 1.5 baths, we considered it a luxury.  Now that we have 1.5 baths it is a NECESSITY.

The couple that use to have my MH. Now have a new one only 1 bath and tell me all the time they miss the 1/2 bath.....

If we ever get another motorhome (highly unlikely) it will definitely have 1.5 baths.  This came to mind just last week when we both had the flu at home with 2 bathrooms which were needed for 5 hours straight and I thought to myself what if we were in the motorhome...that's when I confirmed if we ever go full time definitely need 1.5 bathrooms..

Hi Marsha...

My wife and I are going to be buying our 3rd motorhome soon (can't wait). We've narrowed it down to a couple of rigs but which ever one it is, it will have a bath and a half. The only negative thing I've heard from anyone was, an owner had a problem with the vacuum assisted toilet. One of the toilets has to be remote-mounted (if you will), and that toilet was clogging up. I've looked at bath and a half models extensively over the past few years and that's the only complaint I've found. Not bad considering that they've been around for several years.

Kev

Hi Marsha, we had a Bounder with 11/2 baths and they both worked great., 1/2 bath also was a great place to put the cats litter box.We  just traded it on a Monaco Knight ( brought it home on Sunday)with a single bath and I suspect we will miss the 1 1/2 bath setup.

A second toilet is usually not located over the black tank, so will be the macerator type that pumps the waste to the tank. These can be a bit finicky and some folks have trouble with them (perhaps trying to make it swallow things it doesn't like?). But if the 1/2 bath is just a sink and vanity, I see no reason to worry.  A second 1/2 bath or extra vanity sink is pretty common these days -we actually removed one from our rig because we decided we would get more use from a pantry

Tim & Marsha,

For me the idea of TWO black tanks and/or TWO gray tanks to drain sounds like a lot of extra work as does the potential extra maintenance of a macerator type toilet that pumps the waste to a single tank.  Besides that what about the floor space that a half-bath uses in an already limited-space motorhome?

JerryF

Have been living in a bath and a half model for over what 3 years now, rig is 7 years old come May.  The only issue I have had so far is the SeaLand toilet (Standard in single bath models) failed and it took me a while to fix it,  Thankfully we had the macerator toilet in the main bath to use during that time.

IN short, not a problem. but a solution.  Far as I am concerned.. "2-holes, no waiting" is not an option. It is a REQUIREMENT!!!!

Thanks everyone for all your replies.  One of the models we are looking at has a rear full bath and a 1/2 bath in front of the bedroom.  As I was imagining living/driving in it, I realized that when all the slides were in, the rear bath is nearly inaccessible unless you crawl over the bed.  The 1/2 bath was easy to get too and I imagine that was one of it's purposes, is to be available in route.  I also liked the fact that if you have daytime/overnight guest they don't have to go trapsying (sp?) through your bedroom to get to the rear bath.

It was the issue of the vacuum assisted toilet that I heard could be a problem.  I would think by now that it would have been perfected.

The vanity idea only is nice, but I have the kitchen sink, so just having the vanity without the toilet seems to be a waste of space.  I'd rather have the storage.

We're not going to do anything this year because we are heading to Alaska; but we have been putting our ideas and thoughts together as to what we would like.

Jerry:  I don't think the model we are looking at has 2 grey/2black; but I'll be sure and check that out.  Like you, I don't want to deal with 4 tanks.  (just looked at the specs, it only has 1 black/1grey.

Thanks all for your input.

Marsha~

I do not mind four tanks. I run my lines into a Y under the MH and then one line out to ground. I have one main valve in front and back to drain. That easy. I keep both gray tanks closed till ready to dump black tank first, then gray and that washs everything down the line.

Marsha,

We've had Vacuflush toilets on boats for many years, and every boat in our club has Vacuflush toilets, including the one you, Tim and Charlie rode in. In our case, we have two bathrooms, and both 'heads' have their own Vacuflush system that pump to a common holding tank near the stern of the boat. These are not macerator pumps, although I often see/hear them incorrectly called that. Typically, they're a simple diaphragm pump in conjunction with a vacuum tank/accumulator, and a couple of duckbill valves at both the entry and exit..

I can't say they're trouble free, but we've had far more problems with toilets at home than on boats. They do rely on vacuum to "suck" everything down the tube to the pump, and leaks can prevent them working efficiently. But the main cause of leaks is around the seal in the commode, usually caused by a little piece of TP preventing it from fully closing and sealing. Easy fix.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't walk away from a coach that I like because of vacuum toilets.

The vacuum toilets had been around for years on trains when I took my first train ride (that I can remember) back in the late '40s. The one in my Bounder has worked well for us -- you just have to remember that the path exiting the toilet to the macerator (a real one on my rig -- it grinds for a little while after flushing) is a one inch hose, so don't make those bunches of TP too big, and be sure there's plenty of water to help stuff move (I always add extra with the pedal).

[quote author=Larry N] don't make those bunches of TP too big, and be sure there's plenty of water to help stuff move (I always add extra with the pedal).[/quote]

100% right Larry. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Marsha!

Personally, I'd rather have the storage space.  In 35+ years of RVing we've managed just fine with one toilet and see no need to have another one to clean and empty.  Our current Executive originally had a sink vanity in the toilet room and we had Monaco leave it out so we could have the Splendide in that space.  (We didn't see the need for two sinks and didn't like the Splendide at the back corner of the bedroom.)  I suppose it might be more important for fulltimers to have the extra toilet, but even traveling for 4-6 months hasn't been a problem or produced a need for the extra one.

Ardra

The vacuum toilets had been around for years on trains when I took my first train ride (that I can remember) back in the late '40s.

The train ride I remember form those days (early 1950's) had toilets with a lot of suction (Vacuum). WHOOSH, clickety-clackity rail noise.

Remember in those days all effluent was dropped directly on the tracks while train in operation.

Warning signs were posted not to use the loos at station stops.

It's one of those "believe it or not stories". Before the EPA days, only geezers can remember that.

Carson

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom