I converted to LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

netboy

Hi, I think some of you will be interested in how I converted my RV lights to LED. 

I initially tried 12 volt LED bulbs about 5 years go, and they were not satisfactory: they were expensive, didn't put out much light, and failed within a few hours due to over-heating problems.  But now the technology has advanced significantly, and the current state-of-the-art multi-LED panels are truly amazing.  I have converted every light in my Class C (even including the porch light, the range hood light, and the cab dome light) by retrofitting the existing fixtures with this technology.  Basically I replaced each standard bayonet based incandescent bulb with a panel containing 48 SMD LEDs, arranged in a 6x8 array.  These panels are available on eBay for less than $3 each including shipping -- you can find them by searching for "48 SMD White LED Light Panel".

The attached photo shows a typical light fixture after conversion.  I just removed the incandescent bulbs and stuck the LED panels to the fixture.  The panels come with double-backed foam tape on the back so they will self-stick, but I found the adhesive doesn't hold in the long-run, so I added a few dabs of silicone adhesive to the corners of the panels.

Many of the newer RV light fixtures use #921 wedge base bulbs, and the LED panels mentioned above come with an adapter for those so wiring is simple.  Most older RV light fixtures (such as mine) use #1156 bayonet base bulbs, and there is no adapter included with the LED panels for those.  So I cut the wedge base adapter off the wiring for the LED panels, and just soldered the wires to the appropriate places on the light fixture's bayonet bulb sockets.

How do these LED retrofitted lights work out?  After about 8 months of use, I can say without reserve that they are FANTASTIC.  Each panel puts out WAY MORE LIGHT than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, and they only use one-sixth the power (as measured with my digital amp meter: LED panel = .25A; incandescent bulb = 1.5A).  Their published life is 20,000 hours and up.  I have installed about 50 of these LED panels between my rig and my friends' rigs, and so far zero failures.

I even converted one of my florescent fixtures to this technology.  I removed the twin 16 watt florescent tubes and the ballast, and pasted in 6 LED panels in their place (I added a toggle switch so I can use the LED panels 3 or 6 at a time).  That light is great -- instant on, no flickering, and way more light than before.

Best wishes,
Netboy

Attachments

• IMAG1276&1277(LEDLightConv) (Medium)-horz.jpg
    IMAG1276&1277(LEDLightConv) (Medium)-horz.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 433
Wanderman said:
LEDs are fantastic! Especially if you boondock, they can significantly extend your battery life.

I wrote an article for the rvnewsletter about just that

Take a look at:

http://www.thewanderman.com/2012/02/and-lord-saidlet-there-be-low-power.html

Rich "The Wanderman"

I pulled up that site and there was a yellow band with a warning that it may be dangerous. I've seen this before and it's probably a scam ad. What's it doing on your site?

Good article Rich. I considered modifying my current RV but decided not to since I'll be selling it soon and buying another. Some of the new rigs still haven't made the switch to LEDs though so I may end up doing the mods to it. I'd really be interested in seeing some side by side comparison pictures of 12V lights and good quality LED lights lighting up an RV's interior - especially the different Kelvin temps. How does an RV's interior look with the bluish tinted LEDs vs the more yellowish tinted ones, as compared to the standard 12V lighting. I know that's a lot to ask, but I'll bet someone out there has some before & after shots.

Kev

Hey All,
  Lady Fitzgerald, I've never seen that band or anything like that for Googles Blogger.com. I just have my own domain name pointing to a google blog.

Kevin,
    I tried the more bluish LEDs it made the interior look very "harsh" I prefer the warm, cozy light given off by regular incandescent bulbs so the lower color temperature bulbs were a better fit.

I've seen some comparison photos online from various folks. It's REALLY difficult to get a true feel from a photo.

Rich "The Wanderman"

Hi,

I replaced the fixtures in their entirety. The cost was higher, but the new fixtures are much better looking and have higher light output. See link below:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=1.0

Ernie

Wanderman said:
  What if you LIKE your old fixtures ;)

Hehehe.... yeah, I actually really liked my old fixtures... most of the new ones are lesser quality in my opinion.  I especially like the nice big slide switches on my old fixtures -- most of the new ones have a small (hard to find in the dark) rocker switch.

Hey, I figured some of you would like to see the florescent fixture I converted.... picture attached, showing the fixture with the diffuser removed.  I had to extend the wires on 4 of the 6 LED panels (the connections were soldered and insulated with heat shrink tubing).  I rewired the original rocker power switch so it now toggles between only 3 panels on, and all 6 on.  I added the red push-on/push-off switch as the new main power switch.  This fixture is my primary ceiling light, located in the center of my Class-C, and I really like it.

Best wishes.....

Attachments

• IMAG1256(LEDLightConversion) (Medium).jpg
    IMAG1256(LEDLightConversion) (Medium).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 140
Lady Fitzgerald said:
I pulled up that site and there was a yellow band with a warning that it may be dangerous. I've seen this before and it's probably a scam ad. What's it doing on your site?

Works fine for me (no such warning).

I also converted the fluorescent lights, but using LEDs on a 5 meter roll, adhesive backed, 3 LEDs per inch.  I cut a length & soldered the wires on.  I left the old ballast in place, just in case I needed to go back.  We like the cool white light from the LEDs better than that from the cool white fluorescents.  We had to convert 14 fluorescent lights, so that took a little time.  These were the last set of lights we converted.  All the others were simple plug-ins.  We greatly reduced our power needs for lights and that was the original goal.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 124
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 127
If you like your fixtures, you keep them, and buy the lights with the 1156 type plug already in place on them - same LED's - same store.
Ernie

Way Cool. I used the 5M strip of 505- SMDs in Warm White. The main difference is I left the fluorescents in place and added a same-style rocker switch to the other side of the fixture.

This way i get to choose which ones turn on either at the fixture or at the main light switches.

Rich "The Wanderman"

netboy said:
Hehehe.... yeah, I actually really liked my old fixtures... most of the new ones are lesser quality in my opinion.  I especially like the nice big slide switches on my old fixtures -- most of the new ones have a small (hard to find in the dark) rocker switch.

Hey, I figured some of you would like to see the florescent fixture I converted.... picture attached, showing the fixture with the diffuser removed.  I had to extend the wires on 4 of the 6 LED panels (the connections were soldered and insulated with heat shrink tubing).  I rewired the original rocker power switch so it now toggles between only 3 panels on, and all 6 on.  I added the red push-on/push-off switch as the new main power switch.  This fixture is my primary ceiling light, located in the center of my Class-C, and I really like it.

Best wishes.....

Maybe I am missing something, but doesn't this picture show 36 Led's per panel, not 48? 

bigpemby said:
Maybe I am missing something, but doesn't this picture show 36 Led's per panel, not 48?

Good eye... when I did the conversion to the florescent light, I was out of the 6x8 panels, but had half a dozen of the 6x6 so I used those. 

If I would have had more panels, I probably would have installed a total of 8 rather than 6... but it turns out this fixture puts out plenty of light.

I also have a couple of 36 LED Blue panels I ordered by accident (had intended to buy white, but pushed the wrong button).  Turns out they are really awesome looking.  Haven't figured out where I will use them yet, but I think they would make a good TV background light, or perhaps an under dashboard light that comes on with the dome light.  Might also make a good under-step light, or even a porch light.

Later......

So when you use these Led panels, are you just wiring them direct to 12V power.  Basically wiring around the ballast?  I just replaced two ballasts in the exact same fixtures and wish I had converted to LED's at that time.  Thinking about doing it anyway.  I would like to do all 7 of these fixtures at the same time.  Would there be any need to change the 12v circuit breaker/fuse to something lower since the power requirements will be so much lower?

I came across this photo of traditional incandescent vs. LED fixtures.

Thought it might be useful, someone asked for this I believe...

Attachments

• aljree4.jpeg
    aljree4.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 134
Lady Fitzgerald said:

Worked just fine for me?....

Stormbytes,

I just have to take exception to that picture; rarely have I seen anything so staged to make an invalid point. I do realize its not your picture, but Using the different colored backgrounds to cause the pics to look cool for the LED's and warm for the bulb is simply misleading. LED's are available with nearly any color temperature (and they will stay that color) you prefer.

Sorry; had to vent!

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom