entry door lock will not open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobb58

my entry door will not unlock. i have the inside cover plate off. i can move the deadbolt plunger with a key, but the other will do nothing. i can move it with a flat screwdriver but still will not open. any ideas on how to get it out of the door without tearing up the door. thanks bobb

Bobb,

How old is the coach? Will it lock with the key but not unlock? I have that problem with mine. It appears something is worn. I can unlock it with a master key which only technicians have. I have one since I worked for a dealership for 13 summers. I no longer use the entry door lock, only the dead bolt. That one NOBODY has a key but the owner.

If that is your problem my guess is you might have to replace the entry lock.

Jim, thanks for answering. But i should have wrote that my door is in the closed position and is locked, and i can't get the door open. i can't figure out how to open the door without tearing something up. i can't get to the 2 screws that come in from the edge of the door were the striker plate and catches come together.

If you have a Tri-mark lock (As I do) then it is likely not the deadbolt, it's the striker bolt, it broke,, I was able to get a pick into the latch (the kind of tool used to remove a rear main seal on an engine kind of pick, not a lock pick) and depress the bolt.

I have since learned hot to fix em when they break, but I replaced the latch assembly.

A guy in Florida had that trouble with his key lock on his class C. He ended up ordering a whole new lock mechanism! He had a hard time getting it to unlock so he could replace it,

Scott

This may sound odd but do you have a kid or grand kid you could boost into a window to open from the inside so you can work on it.
That is if you have or can get a window unlocked. Just an idea.

I had what sounds like the same problem a few months ago. I called Coach-Net. They sent a locksmith, familiar with R.V.s. Took him quite a while to get the latch works out and open the door. He replaced the mechanism. He did the initial dissassembly from the inside. Thank goodness for driver's side doors.

Ray D

Back
Top Bottom