Pioneertown MiniRally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
There are several RVForum folks camping in the Palm Springs. CA area.  Tim and I along with Laurie and Mike are at Emerald Desert RV Resort in Palm Desert; and Liza and Ray are at Desert Hot Springs "The Sands".  During the Quartzsite Rally Liza and I decided since we were all in the same area we would get together and go to Pioneertown, CA.  Pioneertown is the home of Pappy and Harriets, a Bar and Grill that is somewhat famous.  Right behind the restaurant is a bunkhouse along with a mock up of an old western town.  Many 1950s westerns were filmed there and many celebrities have eaten at Pappy and Harriets.  We decided we didn't want to fight the crowds, so planned an early Monday adventure.  And, what an adventure it was. 

It has been beautiful in Palm Springs- highs in the 80s sunny and beautiful....what picture postcards are made of.  Sunday we began to check the weather and found there was a fast moving artic storm coming through with high winds, some rain and colder weather.  Liza and I touched base on Monday morning and decided we could brave anything.  Tim and I have become friends with the folks camped next to us, so we invited them to go along as well.  So 2 cars full of RVers took off up the hill towards Yucca Valley to tour Pioneertown about 30 miles north of Palm Springs.  As we drove up the hill, the clouds were in and out; but as we reached the top of the grade, the sky was "socked in"; a few sprinkles; but nothing drastic.  However after the 4 mile drive out to Pappy and Harriets, it began to spit snow or sleet or hail, we are not really sure.  None of us had brought really heavy winter clothes, but we bundled up and tried to walk down the middle of the movie sets.  Several bailed at the beginning of the walk, a couple of us got half-way then turned around.  I had allowed time so that we could go through the sets and generally poke around; but with the weather we ended up with time on our hands.  Not enough to go get a cup of coffee....so there we sat in cars with engines and heaters running.  Pappy and Harriets didn't open till 5.  Other cars arrived, folks got out, checked the front door to find it locked and then returned to their cars to keep warm.  It was an ongoing process to watch people try the door.  They got cold, we watched.  Finally the opened the door and out we hustled.

The food was great, the atmosphere unique, the fireplace greatly enjoyed.  We had a really good time laughing, telling stories and getting to know each other better.  As Betty Brewer says:  "life is good"...even if it's cold.

Pictures attached to prove "minirally".  Hopefully Ray will post his  "town" pictures.

Marsha~

Attachments

• LizaRayTim.JPG
    LizaRayTim.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
  • JoanneDickLaurieMike.JPG
    JoanneDickLaurieMike.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 38
  • TheGroup.JPG
    TheGroup.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 41
Marsha/CA said:
The food was great, the atmosphere unique, the fireplace greatly enjoyed.  We had a really good time laughing, telling stories and getting to know each other better.  As Betty Brewer says:  "life is good"...even if it's cold.

I don't know about the cold part of that quote, but life is indeed good.  Looks like I have another place to add to the  adventure list.  Yesterday we had very strong winds in Yuma, black clouds, 12 big rain drops and today is  beautiful.

Here are a few pictures of the group at Pappy and Harriett's.  Pictures can not convey how cold it was.  I have no idea what the wind chill factor may have been, but it was COLD!  One of the pictures shows the "Blizzard".  We all had a great time sitting in our cars waiting for the place to open (with the heaters on).  But good food and great friends made the adventure memorable.  Great place for dinner!!

Attachments

• IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG