Winnebago 26P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfun 1

We were looking at class A's at North Trails in Fort Myers.The salesman told us we would not like the 26P because the short wheel base makes for a bad ride.Would like to hear from owners on this.We definitely want a small class A    less than 30 ft.

I have a 1986 27 foot Chief and it rides great but I have never driven anthing else. See if they will let you take it for a test ride then you will know if it is too rough for you. OR he could be trying to get you to get a bigger more expensive coach.

There are a lot of dynamics involved - it's not as simple as only how long the wheelbase is.  One major factor is how much overhang there is past the rear axle - the more overhang, the more the "tail wants to wag the dog."  The less overhang the better.  Having said that, yes, generally speaking a longer wheelbase is a more stable and predictable ride.  The shorter the wheelbase, the more steering input is required which can get very tiring after a few hours.

Be sure and make the trip up Lazydays at Seffner - they will have a huge selection to look over.

We have shopped at North Trail several times over the years. while they have a moderate selection they, like a lot of places with limited inventory, steer you to what they have on the lot. We wanted a Workhorse W-24 chassis but they didn't have one at the time; so they tried to put us into a W-22 that once loaded for travel couldn't do what we wanted, but the salesman was insistent that I not worry about GVW. As John says , at least drive up to Lazy Days and see the selection. They might not be the cheapest but your best chance of seeing and touching what you want will be there and then if you can find better pricing, elsewhere, then go for it.

John Canfield said:
There are a lot of dynamics involved - it's not as simple as only how long the wheelbase is.  One major factor is how much overhang there is past the rear axle - the more overhang, the more the "tail wants to wag the dog."  The less overhang the better.  Having said that, yes, generally speaking a longer wheelbase is a more stable and predictable ride.  The shorter the wheelbase, the more steering input is required which can get very tiring after a few hours.

Be sure and make the trip up Lazydays at Seffner - they will have a huge selection to look over.

Good reminder about the overhang. It seems that too many motorhomes have way too much overhang.

We are back home in northern Il.Plan on looking at a Thor Daybreak 27PD.We like the layout but wonder how the quality compares to a Winnebago.

Not qualified to review the Vista 26P yet because I have only test driven one.  I had no issues concerning the ride on highway and city streets.  Handled great and only about 4 ft longer than my GMC Crew Cab  ...  We liked it so much we ordered one  ;D ;D

Now the wait while the factory builds ours  :D  Ordered one cause the dealer did not have the color scheme we wanted and we also wanted the Euro recliner.

Thanks for your reply.I haven't been in a 26p yet.Can you watch the tv from the front passenger seats.They appear to be to close.Does it come standard with an invertor and are the tanks heated.Gets cold here if you want to do some late fall camping.

2012 Vista Specs-

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/winnebago/class-a/2012/vista/26p.html

Invertor- yes -45amp

Heater tanks- want to say no

Hope this helps

Kreuzfahrt said:
Can you watch the tv from the front passenger seats.  They appear to be too close.  Does it come standard with an invertor and are the tanks heated.  Gets cold here if you want to do some late fall camping.

Since the TV is above the front seats you can't watch from the front seats.  It comes standard with a lounge chair behind the passenger seat but it's bolted down to the floor and is not a recliner.  For that reason we opted for the optional Euro chair recliner cause it clamps down and is easily movable.  I will move the chair for my bride of 40 years to watch TV while I relax on the couch  :D

Ours will be equipped with the optional 1,000-watt AC/DC inverter w/remote panel (12 VDC to 120VAC).  It comes with a 45-amp converter/charger (120 VAC to 12 VDC ).

I asked our salesman about the tanks being heated when using the heat (my Titanium 5ver had that feature) and he thought it was but he couldn't verify that.  That's still one of my questions.  Although he did say that since they are built in Iowa where it can get mighty cold he thought that they were  :-\ !?

papa pete said:
...I asked our salesman about the tanks being heated when using the heat (my Titanium 5ver had that feature) and he thought it was but he couldn't verify that. ...

That's something you should verify with Owner Relations ([email protected]) - our tanks are heated by the propane furnace but you can't make the assumption yours are heated.

Gramma don't like it.We are leaning toward The Thor 27PD.Will miss the mpg of my Prism though especially with the price  of gas and diesel the same.

Congrats Papa Pete on your ordering of a new 26P..  I downsized last year from a Meridian to a View, and feel that I may have overlooked the 26P. I really like the handling characteristics and mpg of the View, but really miss separate bedroom (and a queen size bed).  Looking forward to future report on your 26p.  I am going to do a test drive on one soon.

Looking at the specs for the 26p I wonder if the wheelbase is a misprint. It is listed at 158 which seems like it would be too short and would put the WB to OL ratio at 48.7%. I've seen many refer to the benchmark of 55% or more to help with highway driving.

Back
Top Bottom