Traveling with oxygen concentrator or tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

Oxygen concentrators are noisy. Tanks may be expensive.

What advice, experiences have folks had with concentrators?

We travel for 6-7 months per year in a motorhome with an oxygen concentrator that I use at night (continuous flow). During the day or when we travel, it is stored next to the bed. At night it is moved into the kitchen area with a longish tube back to the bed. That far away, noise is not an issue. If we have company, it stays in the bedroom at night and the noise quickly becomes background - not a sleep problem at all. I personally would not want to mess with tanks. If I had to use oxygen all day, I would try very hard to fund a portable unit, although if you need continuous flow the portable ones may not provide all you need.

I have the concentrator in the front and a long hose to the bedside CPAP machine. Use it only when above 4000 during the day.

You might take a look at the concentrators made by Invacare.

I was at the factory in a room with about 50 of them running for a two day quality check and it was amazingly quiet.

They now have very small portable concentrators that are designed to operate on VDC/AC.  Do a search on portable oxygen concentrators and view all the results.  Some of the popular brands are very quiet, I will not mention the brands here to keep from violating any of the forum rules, and the amount of space they save is a big plus, not to mention weight.  Some are as quiet or even more so than a CPAP and will provide a flow rate of 1 LPM to 6 LPM.  It would also eliminate the need for transporting tanks.  Check with a Durable Medical Equipment company that handles oxygen so they can provide you with the system that best meets your needs.  Just something to think about.

I went that route. With a big concentrator, and tanks. What  a PITA. I now have a InogenOne G2. 

I ordered mine from this site.  http://www.inogenone.com/medical_oxygen/#.T1ACzfVOb3A

I used my credit card. And it's mine. No oxygen script required.  I got the traveler's pkg. And I now have oxygen, anytime, anyplace, or anywhere.

I take it walking, hiking, shopping and off roading. Can go on any airline, and it good up to 10,000 feet. And weights about 10#'s with battery, and carrying case.

No more tanks rolling around in the storage bay, leaking oxygen.

Thanks, Barb. We plan to scan the reviews on Amazon, assuming there are some.

I got my Invacare concentrator on Amazon (they have many choices). Needed an O2 Rx that I photographed and emailed to vendor.

For those with the Invacare or similar units. Are they continuous flow? Was the cost covered by Medicare or private insurance? If the cost was covered, did you have to jump through any hoops to get that done. I, so far, have only found one unit suitable for night use (due to need for continuous flow) and private insurance has not been willing to pay the increased cost, when compared with a stationary unit. Medicare (eligible in couple months) might pay at the same rate as for the larger units, but none of the durable med equipment suppliers locally want to mess with it because of the higher cost of the unit with no increase in reimbursement.

My stationary unit works fine, and I have bought one for the motorhome so we do not have to move the one from the stick and brick. Stationary units take a lot of power, however, and make boondocking problematic. I have an older technology portable (purchased) for use when we do not have shore power, but because it is not continuous flow it will alarm during sleep when you do not take a breath when it thinks you should. I could buy a new tech unit but am still trying to get insurance to cover it.

To my knowledge, the only battery operated oxygen concentrator that can provide up to 3 LPM continuous flow is the SeQual Eclipse 3.  Most of the others are pulse only.  There are some lighter weight plug in concentrators that might be worth considering.

When my wife was on oxygen our provider was Lincare (through Medicare).  We did have an additional monthly payment because Lincare was not the preferred supplier for our secondary insurance. They supplied a lighter plug in machine when we traveled, but would not spring for a 12V or battery operated concentrator.  I have read posts by users that did get Lincare to supply an Eclipse by showing they were full timers & needed the DC powered device, but I was never able to convince our local Lincare to go for one.

When we traveled we carried extra tanks to use while driving & walking around, and had them refilled by Lincare - they have dealers throughout the US.  There was no additional charge for using any of their branches for either tanks or supplies. 

My understanding is that no one will cover the cost of a battery powered portable. The sales people I have talked to claim that all battery portables are pulse supplied and since I have to have it on my CPAP they will not work. Salesperson just gave me a price from Lincare for a 1 week rental of battery operated at a cost of $75/ WEEK and must give 2 weeks notice. Just a side question...is anyone on a transplant list??? I do my evaluation Tuesday...someone wish me luck and prayers please.

Will, My best friend failed her evaluation due to a clerical error, which she is fighting now.  Once it's corrected everything will be fine, but no one knows where else this error may have been picked up and passed on so it may rear its ugly head again.  Make sure your paper work is in order and Doctor's records from the past are accurate.  Good luck....

Oldedit said:
Oxygen concentrators are noisy. Tanks may be expensive.

What advice, experiences have folks had with concentrators?
Its been a long time since I registered and logged in. But anyway, over the last year a lot has happened including being on oxygen 24/7. I have an Invacare unit and it is quiet. I use it in the 5er, and it sits in our living area and has a hose measured just long enough to reach the bed. I recently asked for and got a conserve valve and then requested and got a home fill kit for mine so that I can travel with out having to carry several tanks. The kit comes with 2 tanks. No more deliveries or picking up tanks at the medical supply. To be honest, my mother was on oxygen for a few years and her concentrator was not even noticed after awhile. Noise is not a problem. 

Last night DW used her new Ingenone G2 portable concentrator for the first time. Much quieter than the big Invacare that Apria gave her, but I think it woke me up around 3. Or something did. Cost about $2,600.

I came thi.....s close to getting one of those, but the Ingenone G2 only goes up to 5 liter.
That was fine last week but now the have bumped my 0/2 up to 8 liters. Good thing I didn't get one.

Back
Top Bottom