EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: good tire pressure monitor  (Read 5174 times)

vmax1

• ---
  • can`t wait to head south again!
good tire pressure monitor
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
Have 35 ft class A and pulling Jeep, so need 10 tire valve senders, what is a good system and about how much should I $$$. thanks

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: good tire pressure monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
Many of us here use Pressure Pro.  Ask Bernie for a price.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

pkunk

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.htmlTST 10 tire system is $499.  Excellent customer service on an excellent very popular TPMS system.  I love mine!
'99 Coachman Mirada that has been highly customized
At home in N. New Mexico

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
Forum members use several different kinds of TPMS, each with their pros and cons. A number of us use PressurePro. If you choose to go this route, send forum member Bernie Dobrin a PM or email and he'll take care of you.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bobandpamlemay

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
I prefer my TST system with tire pressure and tire temp. Great customer service too.

Bob
Bob and Pam
Schaumburg, Ill
2008 F250 Diesel 
2009 Komfort 34' fifth wheel

EMan508

• ---
  • 2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, Honda CRV,
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
Great info!  I can understand how the remote sensors check the pressure, but how is it testing the temp?  Is it just the temp of the stem where the sensor screws on?

The TST system seems to be a bit lower cost when you buy 10 sensors, not to mention the temp too.

Thx

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »
Regarding temperature - many (maybe all?) of the external sensors that screw on the valve stem don't measure the actual air temperature in the tire but instead derive the temperature from the pressure. That is what Pressure Pro does.

Because of water vapor in the air in the tire that causes the pressure to not follow the Ideal Gas Law this doesn't provide a very accurate temperature. However the temperature increase of one tire compared to the others can alert you to a problem.

If they do actually measure the air tempeature at the valve stem the lack of accuracy is the same and an increase in temperature of one tire compared to the others is still a valuable alert.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Clay:

Pressure Pro has a temp indicator?

Kamper Dave

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
The Tire Minder has worked well for us. The signal booster is a must.
See the Youtube video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGYzD72qu4c&feature=channel

Kamper Dave
Crossroads Cruiser CF31RE10
2012 RAM 3500 ST

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »
I prefer my TST system with tire pressure and tire temp. Great customer service too.

I've been using a TST for about 2.5 years and I have no complaints.  The new ones have replaceable batteries in the sensors!
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
Clay:

Pressure Pro has a temp indicator?

Jeff

My Pressure Pro's wired to my SilverLeaf shows temperatures.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
Pressure Pro has an updated panel that will display temp.
I don't know the cost sa I haven't done it. Still considering switch to Tyre Guard sensor so I don't have to take them foo to had air.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
I like the TST systemand even though I have the ten sensor system, I use the Tattle Trail on the Jeep which detects vibration. I believe everyone here has a system they like and feel comfortable they will be protected or at least warned before the situation gets out of hand.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

railroader1

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
Tire Minder

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »

PressurePro has both tire pressure and temp.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:26:51 PM by BernieD »
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

motoxbob

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
     After checking the pressure in my tires a half dozen times by taking off wheel covers and crawling around on the ground I am getting one of these systems! Of the three mentioned I would appreciate your thoughts on ease of installation. Is it an easy do-it-yourself or is some more involved wiring involved? Thanks All...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
The PressurePro sensors merely screw on the valve stems instead of the dust caps. The monitor merely plugs into a 12V receptacle at the dash, and there's an easy setup procedure. The only other thing I did was to attach a strip of Velcro to hold the monitor on the dash.

I have no experience with the other systems, but I understand that one type requires dismounting tires from rims to install the sensors. That's not a DIY procedure for me, and I'd have to pay for a tire shop to do it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:23:08 AM by Tom »

Kamper Dave

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
motoxbob,
I can only speak about the Tire Minder.
No wiring is involved. Plug the receiver into your cigarette lighter socket and put batteries into the senders (valve stem caps). We fastened the receiver to the dashboard by the radio. There are even security locks for the senders if you want to use them. You will need to program the unit but there are good directions and phone support. YouTube has video of RV101 installing and programming his.
You may need a signal booster depending upon the distance from tires to receiver and or other signal interference.
The assurance of viewing the Temperature and Pressure of each tire as you travel is a relief to me.
You will be amazed at the changes in temperature and pressure as you travel. When you read here on the forum that tires are to be inflated as labeled on the TIRE itself, they are correct. We had not fully inflated the rear tires of the Dodge Ram that was the location of our first high pressure / temperature alarm.
With highest regards.
Kamper Dave
2012 RAM 3500 ST

Bobandpamlemay

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
TST sensors also invlove removing dust caps and screwing sensors on. Once you have coded in the parameters to monitor (pressure, temp, what tires are being used) simply mopunt the monitor and go.

Bob
Bob and Pam
Schaumburg, Ill
2008 F250 Diesel 
2009 Komfort 34' fifth wheel

vmax1

• ---
  • can`t wait to head south again!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
Thanks guys for the awesome info on these cool units, Camping world has tire minder on sale for $290, looks like I will pick that one up, only thing is, will I need that extra signal booster for 35 ft motorhome flat towing Jeep, I guess I`ll need that too.

Wagonmaster2

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
What dust caps are we talking about, the ones on the valve stems or the large one that covers the bearing adjustment nut?

And are the TST sensors about the same size as the Pressure Pro?  I've have had the PP system for about 5 years now and had no problelms at all the first 2-3 years but lately every time I remove them for storage during the winter then re-attach them in the spring there's always one or two that's not reading correctly or not at all.   I usually have to remove it from the valve stem and replace it a time or two to get it to start reading, but last year one of the rears never would read above 30 lbs (should have been 80-85) so I had to glue a very small dot of plastic on the inside of the sensor so it would put more pressure on the valve core.  Problem solved.   Another year the ones on one side of the toad would not be recognized by the monitor.  Ended up calling PP and he took me through a whole bunch of trial/error procedures and finally got that problem worked out.  None of this every happened the first 2-3 years no matter how many times I removed/replaced them (which I usually did anytime the coach was setting over 2 weeks thus saving on battery life).

May try TST when the PP batteries need replacing since that alone will run around $300 for all 10.

Allen
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Sahara Wrangler

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
Quote from: Wagonmaster2
What dust caps are we talking about....

I was specifically talking about the ones that screw onto the valve stems. See here.

Edit: Oops, I see you're already familiar with Ppro.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:09:15 PM by Tom »

Kamper Dave

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
VMAX1
We did not need the booster until we installed our backup camera and GPS. The guys at Tire Minder said it is about interference and/or distance. You can try using the system without the booster.
Kamper Dave
2012 RAM 3500 ST

Hosted by Over The Network