Trying to Convince my hubby!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyful1

::) I'm trying to convince my hubby that we should retire and R.V. Full Time.... HELP! LOL! I LOVE the freedom and beauty of living 'outdoors' year round and its the way I'd like to live for as long as I am physically able to do so... hubby isn't convinced....YET! He's semi-retired now and coming up next year, probably full time. What compelled you, anyone, to finally take the leap and go full time?

Wanna trade?
I would love to full time DW has no intention of  even trying it.  Sadly I do not think there is going to be a way to convince your spouse to go full time.  Either they are interested or they are not.

Are you now or have you been RVers?  If not, then it will be a hard sell unless he tries it first.  On the other hand, if you already own an RV why not go on longer and longer trips?  You don't have to be full-timers which definitely is not for everyone.  We go on long trips of anywhere from two to four to six months and it's always good to get back to our stick 'n brick house.  There are a lot of fulltimers here on the RV Forum and they love their lifestyle and wouldn't be happy doing it our way.

I can tell you that BOTH people really have to want to do it to be successful at fulltiming.  I've known couples where one "gave in" to the other's dream and it just didn't work.  In fact, one couple divorced within six months which was a shame because they had sold or given everything away and she had to start all over again after having retired (he kept the RV).  There also are couples who decide to do it and both have had enough after a year or two.  Others go on for six, ten, or more years and are perfectly happy.  Sometimes one or the other finally says enough is enough and they settle down but still take occasional trips.  For those who make it longer, they know they'll eventually have to hang up the keys and that's something you also have to take into account.

Whatever you and hubby decide, I hope you're both happy and enjoy the RV lifestyle, whether it's as short-timers, long-timers, or full-timers.

ArdraF

When I talked about fulltiming to my dw after her retirement, she always balked at the idea. After we did an almost two week trip to many different places in AZ this winter, she said, "You know, I could do this all the time" Now it's going to be hard to keep her working for a few more years. Guess that's what happens when you rob the cradle and your wife is 3 years behind.

Might not be the RV but rather the retirement part that scares him. Working part time is a good idea to help ease into it but breaking that last tie and leaving is the toughest part. Depending on what he does he can always do it from home, etc or just get a part time gig in another field. We like doing it part time, gone when we want and home when we want. Works out the best for us and that is what you have to find. There is a lot of negotiating room between fulltiming and not at all. I know too many that have died before they had a chance to enjoy their retirement, I'm not letting that happen! Good luck with it.

That's a tough one.  Convincing one of anything can be quite the challenge.  My DH retired from the Navy in 2007.  From the day I met him he was convinced that he was going to retire, go back home and work what he thought was his dream job.  I was NOT convinced.  We got home, gave it our all and things just continued to not work out.  We moved multiple times, changed jobs and still were not happy.  In August 2011, a Navy couple we know, told us they began full timing last spring and were having the time of their lives. I mentioned it to DH and he thought I was nuts. He said no way, no how.  After a little research and a little discussion, we decided to pay off our debts and in 2 years (Sept 2013 to be exact) we would consider getting on the road. In November 2011 we bought a new truck and JANUARY 2012 we bought an RV and April 27, 2012 we get on the road.  Life changes, plans change and circumstances alone will change our thoughts on things.
Everyone has their reason why they want to, why they should and if they can.  All of those things have to line up and I agree with what others have said you both have to be on board with it. 

I'm not sure we would ever fulltime, but in 20 years id love to long time.  By that I mean to take loong trips and go and do and see what we want at our own pace.  Then after a few months come home and be home for a while.  Several people on the forum very much enjoy versions of long timing instead of full timeing.  That might be the best way for you to start.

Jeff

We are in our second year of full timing.  Love it, so does hubby.  I would suggest trying short trips and see how it goes.  I think it would be easier if you both want it.  Afterall you're in tight quarters and together almost 24/7!!

I'm retired now, but the DW has 5 more years to get her 20 with the county. We camp A LOT right now, and will be going full time once she retires. We're both type "A" people and just can't set areound, so we'll be looking at some sort of work camping part time once we go full time. Being retired before the DW is hard in the I have a bum shoulder right now so am limited in what I can do. But there's more the enough to keep busy with.

Get a roomy, comfortable RV and start taking some trips. See if it clicks. Go visit friends and family in far places. See some of this country's wondrous National Parks. Follow the weather for awhile. If he likes to golf or fish, go visit the premier spots for those things.

As you begin to stay out longer and longer, you may reach the point of wanting to try "fulltime". We never did - we like about half time. We have a small home in rural in Florida where we spend winters (actually 5-6 months) and travel the rest of the time. That works for us, but you have to find your own best solution.

Retirement involves a lot of change, socially, economically, and lifestyle. It is a difficult change for many and success often means a fairly radical change in how we live.

I can't wait to take off, DW is ready as well, however our plan is much similar to Gary's.  For us, need that 'home base', hopefully much smaller than we currently have.... Then lock up the house (small) and take off for seeing this beautiful country of ours.  Couple months back home (UpState Ny) and then out to see the West, so many roads and towns to see.  Never forget my wife seeing the desert (Twentynine Palms) she cried when we arrived.... and cried when we departed 3yrs later.  Getting closer by the day, we are not fearing retirement, that's for sure.

My problem is getting my gf to understand we can't take all her stuff with us so she needs to start selling it

If you try and talk your husband into full timing he will have a counter argument for every thing you bring up. You did not mention your RVing experience. If you have absolutely no RVing experience then I think the best thing to do would be to rent an RV for a weekend or a week and go camping someplace close to you that has some really spectacular scenery. If he is into fishing then find a campground near a great fishing hole. If it is golfing he loves find an RV park right next to a golf course. If he actually gets to try it out first his opposition might disappear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom