5.00 dollar a gallon gas is the new 4.00 dollar a gallon gas says the news media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct78barnes

The TV media is bought and paid for by the oil company.They pay them to say things like this to get the people to say the same thing over and over again. The future traders are running up the price of oil as the all ready bought some on the low side and sell it on the high side. This is what almost brought us in to a Depression in 2008. There use to be laws on the books that if you bid on oil or gas futures you had to take delivery of it.In 2001 most all the regulations where removed and gas went from 1.48 to 2.08 in 2002.If we do not get our law makers to replace these laws then we will soon be in a World of hurt. With of all this greed on Wall Street who will bale out Wall street and the banks this time. Our Government is broke and we will go into a Depression that will make 2009 look like a cake walk. This is not a Red or Blue problem it is a American problem. There is no shortage no hurricane no war or anything going on to have gas going up this high. They are using fear of Iran to block the sea way to stop the tankers from the world market. Give me a break we have a battle group in this area and sure our Navy could wipe out Iran,s Whole Navy in a matter of seconds. Who are they trying to kid. There was a smart person that once said you can tell the difference of a great nation if they do not repeat the same mistakes over and over again. I hope our leaders wake up and start working together for whats best for the American people. God Bless The USA

Some of the economist say it is our weak dollar that is causing the hike in fuel prices. We are planning on touring our great nation this year, but if the price of gas keeps going up we probably won't do it. I budget 4 dollars a gallon and by April the news media so called experts say gas will be around $4.25 a gallon. We planning on leaving in July; so it will be hard to tell what the price will be by then.

If you get 7.5 MPG and if fuel costs increase .50 cents per gallon then your cost increases $200 per 3000 miles of travel. While $200 is $200 it isn't enough for me to stop traveling. Even if it goes up a dollar then $400 just means I eat out less and soak up the sun more. 8)

the real killer in all this is that most stations limit the amount of gas you can buy to a low of fifty dollars and a high of sometimes a hundred dollars.  At five buck a gallon you would get maybe 20 gallons of fuel.  My tank holds 75 gallons and that would mean as many as three stops for sixty gallons of gas and some towns dont even have three stations in them.  It seems to me that I will spend a lot of my time just keeping the tank full on my coach and this is using the one hundred dollar stations for gas up.
Personally, I think we should go back on the GOLD standard with our money and that way it would be worth something again. 
this is just my opinion and I am probably wrong..........cj.......

Veterans died for our freedoms......... Thank a Vet for their service to this great nation ....

Seajay said:
the real killer in all this is that most stations limit the amount of gas you can buy to a low of fifty dollars and a high of sometimes a hundred dollars.  At five buck a gallon you would get maybe 20 gallons of fuel.  My tank holds 75 gallons and that would mean as many as three stops for sixty gallons of gas and some towns dont even have three stations in them.  It seems to me that I will spend a lot of my time just keeping the tank full on my coach and this is using the one hundred dollar stations for gas up.
Personally, I think we should go back on the GOLD standard with our money and that way it would be worth something again. 
this is just my opinion and I am probably wrong..........cj.......

Veterans died for our freedoms......... Thank a Vet for their service to this great nation ....

Where have you been limited in how much gas you can buy at one time?  I havent seen that.

Paul

The only limits we have found are on credit card purchases with pay at the pump.  But I've been able to run the same card as much as 3 times in a row to fill up the motorhome.

The TV media is bought and paid for by the oil company.They pay them to say things like this to get the people to say the same thing over and over again. The future traders are running up the price of oil as the all ready bought some on the low side and sell it on the high side. This is what almost brought us in to a Depression in 2008. There use to be laws on the books that if you bid on oil or gas futures you had to take delivery of it.In 2001 most all the regulations where removed and gas went from 1.48 to 2.08 in 2002.If we do not get our law makers to replace these laws then we will soon be in a World of hurt. With of all this greed on Wall Street who will bale out Wall street and the banks this time. Our Government is broke and we will go into a Depression that will make 2009 look like a cake walk. This is not a Red or Blue problem it is a American problem. There is no shortage no hurricane no war or anything going on to have gas going up this high. They are using fear of Iran to block the sea way to stop the tankers from the world market. Give me a break we have a battle group in this area and sure our Navy could wipe out Iran,s Whole Navy in a matter of seconds. Who are they trying to kid. There was a smart person that once said you can tell the difference of a great nation if they do not repeat the same mistakes over and over again. I hope our leaders wake up and start working together for whats best for the American people. God Bless The USA

Word for word, I couldn't agree with you more.

I has long been said that $4/gal fuel is the tipping point and it looks like we are going to find out the hard way.                       

Paul & Ann said:
Where have you been limited in how much gas you can buy at one time?  I haven't seen that.

Paul

We always fill using a credit card for payment and most all the stations (even Flyin J) limit the amount you can put on a credit card.  The only station that I can recall that would sell me all the gas I wanted was one that the pumps would not take a credit card. I paid cash and pumped till the coach was full. (I had to leave Willa as a bond servant for three months because I didn''t have enough cash)  As someone else said,,,,,,,,,  you can sometimes reuse the credit card several times in the same pump that has limitations but that will not always work.  I even carry two credit cards to buy gas but sometimes that can be a hassle.  Such is life I suppose or maybe I am just stopping at the wrong pumps some of the time.

I think it is time to bring our troops home.  I don't mean to be political but ten years is enough.  (I erased the rest of my opinion 'cause I was afraid I would go over the line, so to speak).............cj............
God keep our troops safe and bring them back to us now......cj...

What an ugly thread.... Albeit all to true though, fuel prices are on the march, that's for sure, this morning diesel $4.29/gal.  Have had to re-run the card many times at the pump over the years, however that's got to do with the credit card companies with limits on certain services.  Have noticed that limit increase allowing higher charges with specific prices for fuel as they increase though.  First noticed it a few years ago, $50.00 was the limit at the pump, then $75.00, now around our area, $100.00.  Still going to go on vacation this year, however I'm definitely looking at other ways to 'tighten' in order to off-set.  I already bring my lunch to work, time to look at other 'tightening' less of this and that.... Sure am not thinking of stopping the RV thing though, not yet anyway!

Gotta chime in!  ;D  While gassing up the TV I went inside to buy a Snickers bar.  They wanted 99 cents!  So it looks like the dollar is the new dime, which would mean gas is only 40 or 50 cents a gallon - when measured in Snickers bars.  (Yes, I am that old)

The United States Gasoline Fund, LP ("UGA") is a new way for investors and hedgers to manage their exposure to energy.

The United States Gasoline Fund LP (UGA) is an exchange traded security that is designed to track in percentage terms the movements of gasoline prices and sold on the NYSE.

Much to complicated for a simple guy like me, hedge funds, traded securities.... I'm just looking at the corner gas station and their prices.  And them Snickers bars prices :) :) :)

robdrew7 said:
Gotta chime in!  ;D  While gassing up the TV I went inside to buy a Snickers bar.  They wanted 99 cents!  So it looks like the dollar is the new dime, which would mean gas is only 40 or 50 cents a gallon - when measured in Snickers bars.  (Yes, I am that old)

Yep,,,,,, your dollar has the buying power of ten cents now.  I figured that out a long time ago.  Think of it this way.......  Silver is about 34 dollars per ounce so a silver dollar is worth about 30 dollars (80 percent silver)....    That means that you can take a silver dollar and buy the equivalent of almost eight gallons of gas  ''in silver''.  One silver dollar will get you almost 8 gallons of gas at these prices or about 12 1/2 cents in silver per gallon ....  pretty cheap if you figure it that way...... Now don't you wish you would have saved all those silver dollars your grand mother gave you for your birthday when you was a kid?.......(I did).....

Vets died for our freedom....... This is NATIONAL HUG A VET WEEK.......cj.........

"Now don't you wish you would have saved all those silver dollars your grand mother gave you for your birthday when you was a kid?"
Nope.  Wasting cycles on what I should have done serves no purpose.  Looking to maximize today and next few years, getting to close to retirement to lose focus on reality.

If a gallon of gas cost .65 cents in 1970, what should a gallon of gas cost today based on nothing other than inflation?
"What cost $.65 in 1970 would cost $3.61 in 2010".  Investors and the terribly weak US dollar (oil is traded in US dollars only) has pushed the price up a bit more and will likely continue to do so until the US politicians decide that we MUST balance the budget.

Gee, I must be really getting old 'cause I remember Snickers bars for a nickel!  :)  What's all this talk about $5 per gallon the new normal?!? Out of curiosity, I went back in my summer travel records and extracted the following diesel fuel prices:

Year Miles tvl Hi cost Avg cost
2006 5668 $3.11 $2.91
2007 5498 $3.19 $3.07
2008 3840 $4.56 $4.48
2009 9534 $2.66 $2.44
2010 7819 $3.19 $3.04
2011 4637 $3.93 $3.81

As you probably remember, fuel prices skyrocketed in 2008 and the price was blamed on emerging nations. But they must have fallen back in 2009, because fuel prices were half of what we paid the year before. Today, there have been several reasons floated in the media, but I don't believe any of them!

Back
Top Bottom