I hate carpet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrabbit

how many people have ever ripped of the carpet in the RV? (i read the thread by CaptSteve already, but I am worried about messing with the slide mechanism, so I would not do it the way he did.)

I really despise carpet, and I am allergic to "new" carpet, anyway. The salesman really looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if there was a way to order a new RV withOUT carpet . . . he told us that it will impair the slide out to not have carpet.  salesman also said that there might be vinyl flooring throughout the RV, under the carpet, which would definitely make removing the carpet easier.

I am afraid this is going to be a problem for me, and it is one more reason I don't want a "new" RV.  I will feel much better removing old carpet than new carpet!  But, we will be buying a relatively new RV, nothing older than 2006, i am pretty sure, so it is unlikely the carpet would be skanky, just that I don't want ANY carpet!

folks rip out carpet and opt for hard surface. salespeople- thats another story

A majority of the Mfgrs of straight TT do cover the floor front to rear, side to side with lanoleum first before doing any interior placement, it's just faster, easier to cover the whole floor then cut around walls and cabinets.

The carpet must be fastened down to be safe so even if there is linoleum everywhere the edge along the carpet will most likely be an eye-sore of staple holes.  Just a guess as I haven't ripped out carpet.

-Eric

If your buying new, then have them order yours as you want, without carpet.  We have requests similar to that quite often, and as long as the buyer has a little time to wait, we order it as asked. As a service manager, I always had a couple of flooring businesses in the area that I dealt with and if my staff was too busy, I'd just have them remove necessary furniture, bench seats, whatever, and have flooring guys come and pull carpet and lay linoleum. Gives you as owner, the option of picking out the flooring pattern and quality you desire. Done in one or 2 days, ready to go, everyone is happy.  If you like the layout of one on the lot and don't want to wait, make it a condition of the sale. Beat them down as low as you can, as is, then see what their quote would be to have it done the way you want it. On the other hand, yes they do usually lay vinyl/linoleum complete first, at factory, but lately I have seen some where they only extended it a few inches under carpet, then cut it off. Have removed carpet in some with it complete under, and usually stapled along outer edges, and was able to re-trim baseboard with a little wider trim to cover staple marks. If it comes right down to it, most vinyl/lino is free-floating and only fastened along outer edges, around vent in floor etc. , so pulling carpet up, cutting vinyl/lino out and replacing it is usually a 1 day job, 2 at most if lots of furniture, etc to remove. Have had pro's (flooring guys) do an excellent job without removing anything too.

I have ripped out carpet in a motor home with a slide, no problems at all.
Also ripped out carpet in one with no slide and travel trailers leo, it is very easy and I am just a domestic goddess.

We found used one at a dealer that may actually be the one we Want!  Now, just need to figure out how much money we want to spend on the carpet/flooring dilemma.  I am quite sure I could remove the carpet satisfactorily, but do I WANT to mess with it?  It would be massively easier to get a pro to do it ... but how much would he charge, I wonder.  We will be transferring from one RV to the new one, so this could be done before we transfer our stuff . . .

I really despise carpet

With you on that one. Not allergic or anything, just can't stand it. No carpet in the stick and brick. Removal from motorhome starts next week. If a salesman says you cannot order a new rv without carpet, find another salesman or another dealer.

EMan508 said:
The carpet must be fastened down to be safe so even if there is linoleum everywhere the edge along the carpet will most likely be an eye-sore of staple holes.  Just a guess as I haven't ripped out carpet.

-Eric
I removed carpet under the table, and that's exactly what I have, a bunch of staple holes.  However, with the colour and design of the flooring, they are only noticeable if you know they are there.

You may be surprised at price from a pro. They may even have some left over from another job, or end of roll that is to your liking. I found they were reasonable, in fact usually cheaper to hire them than use my own crew. They did it in half the time (pros) and better look after.  Good for them as a fill in job, and they don't tie up days at a time with their crew either. Plus you can take it right to them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom