Need help deciding if this 2004 Brave is a good idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wed I will be test driving the Brave and spending lots of time inspecting it to the best of my abilities. If I still like it I might make a low-ball offer contingent upon me having it professionally inspected.

This consignment place also has a 2004 Winnie Journey 32', which is owned by a bank in the middle of a divorce.  I think that might take too much time to become available as my departure clock is ticking. The floor plan looks like the area where I'll be doing most of my living will be small (dinette on one side and small couch on the opposite side). I really need to replace the dinette with a nice work desk. At the very least I'll get to test drive a DP to learn a bit more.

The comment about the Brave rusting around the windshield: If there isn't rust there now, how can it be prevented?

-Eric

The Journey is head and shoulders above the Brave by almost any yardstick you could use. If the bank "owns" it, they have already repo'd it and ought to be able to short sale it most any time they want since they hold the title. If you can get a decent price on that, go for it. You may have to submit a bid, though, and wait out their process.

If that 8 year old Brave windshield isn't rusting now, I wouldn't worry about it much. Those with problem windshields began to show rust within a few years.

My '04 Adventurer just starting leaking last fall around the windshield. Can't see any rust, even with the molding removed, but I know it's rusty.

EMan508 said:
The comment about the Brave rusting around the windshield: If there isn't rust there now, how can it be prevented?

You could pull the rubber molding along the top of the windshield and fill the cavity with caulk and replace the molding - there would be no way for water to sit in the area between the edge of the glass and the frame.

Ditto on Gary's comment about the Journey.  A diesel engine in the rear is a great setup and the Journey is an extremely popular Winnebago entry-level pusher.

I've been looking at the Journey online and today I'll inspect it and hopefully I can test drive it and also the Brave. No idea how much either will come down in price but it will be an educational day.

I'm prepared to crawl under the RVs today and look for rust etc.  Are there any notoriously bad rusting locations on the 2004 Brave 34D and the 2004 Journey 32 I can focus my time on (looking at the under-body with a flashlight laying on the ground)? If I can narrow my inspection time underneath I'll have more driving time, not to mention if either have weak framing from rust I can move on to the next RV. It looks like an ocean of metal under there so pin-pointing spots will help me a lot.

-Eric

http://www.martysusrv.com/inventory/184716/Used-2004-Winnebago-Brave-34-D.aspx

http://www.martysusrv.com/inventory/184717/Used-2004-Winnebago-Journey-WKP327.aspx

Eric - take a small screwdriver with you and where you see rust on the house part, poke it to make sure the rust isn't deep or perforated sheet steel.  Some rust on the compartments isn't a big deal - it can be easily dealt with.  Some frame rust is okay but if pervasive, doing any chassis maintenance where parts have to be removed might be difficult.

Eric, I've owned 2 Braves and now a Journey, I would definitely lean toward the Journey unless the price on the Brave comes down a lot.

Well today I went and checked out the RVs I mentioned above.  Total bust on both.  The Journey is upside down and in the middle of a divorce.  The owner had the dealer take off the plates because the bank said it was going to take it away as a repo.  This one is a total mess (financially) and will take months to get clear title and I don't want to wait that long.

The Brave: Once again the owner is upside down.  The salesman was a fast talker and said they owed $70k then it dropped to mid fifties.  All this guy had to do was reel me in when I got there with a great price (that being no higher than book $39k). Nope, kept talking about how I'd do better in a Fleetwood and how the construction in the walls was better (he has a lot FULL of them) blah blah blah.  Didn't even get a chance to test drive either one because he talked so much and had my head spinning with data I was previously all set on.

I'll keep looking but my gut says I will go with plan B and go to FL to LazyDays but... I'm not happy with the sales guy there either.  I asked for pricing on three rigs and I had to go back and forth three times before I got the data.  It shouldn't be this hard to buy a product.

John Hilley:  Where did you see the DPs for sale at low prices (Yuma AZ?)? Were they at a dealer or other people you were talking to?

-Eric

EMan508 said:
I'll keep looking but my gut says I will go with plan B and go to FL to LazyDays but... I'm not happy with the sales guy there either.  I asked for pricing on three rigs and I had to go back and forth three times before I got the data.  It shouldn't be this hard to buy a product.

Eric - thanks for the status update.  This thread has the potential to keep our rapt attention while we ride along with you coach shopping  ;).

I'm guessing you're dealing with Lazydays remotely?  That might explain the hassle you are experiencing.  We ordered our Horizon from them Feb/05 and had a wonderful buying experience.  I was well prepared for a knock-down drag-out fight but there was no drama involved to my very pleasant (and unexpected) surprise.  If you can manage it, go there in person and don't try to shop over the phone with them.

Do you or any other happy LazyDay customers remember the name of the sales person you liked?

You just reminded me that  some other forum folks are following my progress so here is a little update:

Drum-roll please....  I signed the P&S today to sell my home!  It sold in less than 90 days so I am very happy.  The closing will be early April.  Last week, I gave my employer a one month notice and will leave work on March 30th. Fortunately my siblings have an unused vacation home near here so I won't be living on the street looking for the MH.  I'll leave the area (physically) after my mothers birthday (I don't want to be dis-owned :)  ).

So one way or another the mutt (his real name is Buddy and is a border collie/lab mix) and I will be heading... well somewhere.

-Eric

I hope this becomes an exciting time of new adventures and places.  Since you won't be tossed out on the street I hope you can take some time and find a good MH that fits your wants and needs...and budget.  Please keep us posted on your MH search!  Good luck Eric!

M. Smith  :)

http://www.dickgoresrvworld.com/usedRVsForSale.aspx

I have seen some nice stuff on there

Eric,
I heartily recommend Sharon Harmon at Lazydays. She has helped others here find their dream rig and they give her high marks. Dougie Brown says she is the "best RV sales person in the world", I sent you a PM with contact info, or you can contact me and I'll put you in touch with her.

Congrats on selling your place so quickly - that must be a big load off your mind!

Thank you Gary and ChiefM.  I'll contact LD and see if Sharon is still working there, great info.

I'm not giving up on finding my RV semi-locally yet but heading to FL is an excellent idea if I need to.  LazyDays as I recall also has the driver training classes and that will help me too.

-Eric

Thanks Gary,

I was looking at their website last night and found her.  I'm amazed at the number of sales people they have - yikes!

-Eric

EMan508 said:
Well today I went and checked out the RVs I mentioned above.  Total bust on both.  The Journey is upside down and in the middle of a divorce.  The owner had the dealer take off the plates because the bank said it was going to take it away as a repo.  This one is a total mess (financially) and will take months to get clear title and I don't want to wait that long.

The Brave: Once again the owner is upside down.  The salesman was a fast talker and said they owed $70k then it dropped to mid fifties.  All this guy had to do was reel me in when I got there with a great price (that being no higher than book $39k). Nope, kept talking about how I'd do better in a Fleetwood and how the construction in the walls was better (he has a lot FULL of them) blah blah blah.  Didn't even get a chance to test drive either one because he talked so much and had my head spinning with data I was previously all set on.

John Hilley:  Where did you see the DPs for sale at low prices (Yuma AZ?)? Were they at a dealer or other people you were talking to?

-Eric

Just got a 04 itasca suncruiser 38' from lazy days, nice unit, garage kept, 40,000 miles, every checked out to be working and 3 month warrenty for all. even had them add flat screen tv's as part of the deal. 55,000 out the door tax tag title ect.
Mike nasco was salesman.
had to sell my 09 tradition a year ago and use the money to get me out of a jam with work being slow, wanted to get my foot back in the door camping, and got this one.Tell him what your willing to spend out the door and he will work to find the best bang for your buck. Its the fith camper I bought there, first used one though but he was the best salesman I've had, there. he worked really hard.
good luck to ya

Back
Top Bottom