Laptop Mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I use a laptop, Delorme software and the earthmate gps for my navigation in my Ram 2500 pulling my 30 foot Fleetwood.  The laptop simply rests on a box with raised edges that sits between the driver and passenger seat.  Because o the 2 way voice control I do not need to look at it.  Any looking is done by the "copilot".

Tomorrow we place down or deposit and order our new KS3910 from Newmar.  I'd like to know if anyone else uses a laptop for navigation and if so how do they secure it for active use during travel?

One of the safest and convienent methods I've seen is made by Jotto Desk. http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

Smoky said:
I use a laptop, Delorme software and the earthmate gps for my navigation in my Ram 2500 pulling my 30 foot Fleetwood.? The laptop simply rests on a box with raised edges that sits between the driver and passenger seat.? Because o the 2 way voice control I do not need to look at it.? Any looking is done by the "copilot".

Tomorrow we place down or deposit and order our new KS3910 from Newmar.? I'd like to know if anyone else uses a laptop for navigation and if so how do they secure it for active use during travel?

Some folks in the framily use what they call a Jotto Desk.  We haven't used one since we use the Garmin 2610 for navigation.

Since Ned is the navaguesser our laptop sits on the cover of the glovebox.  Plus we have the Streetpilot on top of the TV.

There are several models of Jotto Desk, including a taller base for motorhome or big vehicle use and a shorter version for automobile.  I've been using the motorhome version for years on which the laptop can be safely and securely installed while driving. 

If space permits, an inexpensive laptop table is a folding TV dinner style table.

Dependent upon model, self tapping screws into floor or into doghouse, etc. Also, one model has a floor bracket so the rest of rig is easily removable if you don't want it there when docked for a long period of time.

Smokey, IIRC you are pretty handy with tools.  That being the case, there is in the forum files some instructions and diagrams for building a notebook platform that you can position and re-position right next to you in the driver's seat.  Think of the dentist's tool tray that s/he pulls over your chest as s/he goes for that molar way back. :)

Ciao,

Doug

Smoky

Here are photos provided by George Mullen of his home made laptop table.

• Method of attaching the deck flange to the desk base. The screws are machine screws. The threaded inserts in the wood are hammered into the wood after first drilling a hole of the correct diameter, and to the minimum depth necessary.
  • The underside of the desk and the deck flanges mounted to it and to the doghouse cover. Note cutouts for cable connectors and for the laptop's exhaust fan. See GAMdesk4.jpg for details on mounting the flange to the desk.
  • The unfinished "desk" and unpainted support piping. Wood screws secure the base flange plate to the doghouse cover. Pipe assembly can be rotated for removal or simply to rotate away from the front of the TV.
  • The finished "desk" to hold a laptop computer for GPS navigation while driving. All material obtained from Home Depot. Pipe is standard one-inch galvanized pipe, purchased in pre-cut, pre-threaded lengths. Desk base is one-inch plywood

Attachments

• GAMDESK4.JPG
    GAMDESK4.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 53
  • GAMDESK3.JPG
    GAMDESK3.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
  • GAMDESK2.JPG
    GAMDESK2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 46
  • GAMDESK1.JPG
    GAMDESK1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 49
Tom, thanks for providing Smoky with the details--I couldn't remember whose handy work the laptop mounting was.

Doug

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom