Installing a wood burning stove in a 30 ft 5th wheel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathy proctor

Hello!  I have always loved wood burning stoves.  I recently came across some information about installing a wood burning stove in RV's.  It seems with the correct ventilation and protections of walls and floors it seems to be feasible.  Anyone out there know anything about this?  Recommend any websites?  Thanks....Kathy (AKA The Palace Owner)

In Germany my neighbor had a Pot Belly (army) wood burner in his VW bus. Steve pipe went out the window. I am sure if installed properly and keeping safety in mind it can be done.

I wouldn't recommend it.  Two problems - first, a RV interior is a very small area.  An open fire will quickly deplete the oxygen in the RV unless you provide a way for it to draw in outside air.  Usually this means keeping a vent or window open, which defeats the purpose of the stove.

The other problem is the RV construction.  To put it bluntly, they're firetraps.  A conventional house has sheet rock walls and ceilings to contain and slow any fire that may start.  RVs are made out of wood and thin paneling, and with no firebreaks in the interior any fire will fully engulfed them in a matter of minutes.

To me, a wood burning stove in a RV is just an accident waiting to happen.

You might investigate a pellet stove.  They are expensive, but much safer than a regular wood burning stove.  You won't have the same type of flame to mesmerize you, but it's still pleasant to watch.

We have an electric "fake" fireplace.  It kicks out a lot of heat and is very pretty to look at, especially if you're like me and love watching a fire.  It's not the same as a real wood burning fireplace, but it does serve a purpose.  You might consider something like this if all you're wanting is the aesthetic value of a fire place along with something to help heat the place up!  JMO  Mikie

We recently met a Dutch couple with a wood pellet stove in their toy hauler. 

If you like I can try to get more details, and/or put you in touch with them.

I got some friends in New Meadows, ID that build wood stoves for RV's out of old propane bottles. My friend and his father both live in old motorhomes with a propane bottle wood stove with no issues to date. The fire is kept rather small because a rip roaring fire would sweat you out in seconds. He's burning 7-9" long firewood (fist size) or lumber scrapes.

kathy proctor said:
Hello!  I have always loved wood burning stoves.  I recently came across some information about installing a wood burning stove in RV's.  It seems with the correct ventilation and protections of walls and floors it seems to be feasible.  Anyone out there know anything about this?  Recommend any websites?  Thanks....Kathy (AKA The Palace Owner)

Kathy

Take a look at http://marinestove.com - though expensive they are a manufacturer that specializes in smaller wood stoves.  A number of Airstream owners have installed them with good results.  These stoves are costly and proper installation requires skill and additional materials to support the stove and stovepipe and provide proper protection for combustibles.

There are photos of several installations at airforums.com.

Airstreams do have noncombustible roof and walls.  Some additional protective measure, like spark arrestors, might be necessary for other rigs.

There are several manufacturers who make lower cost stoves intended for use in ice fishing houses that could probably be adapted:

http://www.nuwaystove.com/

In either case exceptionally small stovewood must be used, 8-12" long piece split fairly small.

Ironic, the very next post I read after this one.... http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=51418.0;topicseen

Hi Kathy,
You may want to look into "parlor stove" models as they are small, decorative, and will fit nicely into a corner that is lined with covered greenboard for fireproofing. They are designed to warm a very small area (in Victorian days, a parlor, hence the name) and can burn small firewood, coal, cow chips, or pellet corn. (I don't recommend cow chips as they smell nasty when they burn!)
Keep in mind that your roof will need to be protected and the floor reinforced beneath the stove as it will need to be secured to prevent tipping and it will need a fresh air inlet from the exterior to burn properly (and without filling your RV full of carbon monoxide). If it is just for aesthetics, you might like a small propane flame faux fireplace (or electric one like described above) to curl up in front of.

4ducksrus said:
We have an electric "fake" fireplace.  It kicks out a lot of heat and is very pretty to look at, especially if you're like me and love watching a fire.  It's not the same as a real wood burning fireplace, but it does serve a purpose.  You might consider something like this if all you're wanting is the aesthetic value of a fire place along with something to help heat the place up!  JMO  Mikie

Hi Mikie, 
Would you please give me the brand and model of the electric fireplace you have in your MH?  My brother is planning on installing one in their fiver.  Is yours built into a cabinet (insert) or freestanding?  Does it have it's own hardwired designated plug?   

Thanks for any info you have.

M. Smith

M.Smith,
Ours came in our MH and it's built right into the cabinet.  My son-in-law got one from Home Depot and installed that in an existing cabinet.  I will check on the makes and let you know.

Mikie

jje1960 said:
Ironic, the very next post I read after this one.... http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=51418.0;topicseen

Most RV fires are electrical in origin.  Perhaps we'd be better off going back to fireplaces and gas lights.

Were it not for the relatively small number of RVs (compared to stick houses, cars, and hotel rooms) I think there would be greater attention given to the electrical portion of the RVIA code.  I would like to see more emphasis on protecting wiring from damage, the use of more vibration resistant wire terminations, and the use of fire-rated junction boxes for 120v and for the higher current 12v connections. 

Here's ours....The fireplace was given to us so I have no idea of the model. I has a small electric element that looks like a stove burner, fan and thermal safety.

Although it only draws 12A I ran a dedicated #12 circuit on a 15A breaker. The unit provides enough heat to take the chill off in the morning. Also if you look under the logs you will see a duct opening from the onboard furnace. Good place to hide those darn floor grills.

Later Will

Attachments

• 0212121405.jpg
    0212121405.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 43
4ducksrus said:
M.Smith,
Ours came in our MH and it's built right into the cabinet.  My son-in-law got one from Home Depot and installed that in an existing cabinet.  I will check on the makes and let you know.

Mikie

Mikie,  They want to remodel their existing cabinet by moving the TV up and install the insert below it.  Appreciate any info on the insert make.  Thanks so much!

M. Smith 

catblaster said:
Here's ours....The fireplace was given to us so I have no idea of the model. I has a small electric element that looks like a stove burner, fan and thermal safety.

Although it only draws 12A I ran a dedicated #12 circuit on a 15A breaker. The unit provides enough heat to take the chill off in the morning. Also if you look under the logs you will see a duct opening from the onboard furnace. Good place to hide those darn floor grills.

Later Will

That's what they want one for "to take the chill off".  They don't want their bedroom warm, just nice to sit in the living area and enjoy it on a chilly day.

:)

M. Smith,
Ours is a Dimplex model BF8000ST.  Hope that helps.  It really does work slick...we are able to heat our entire MH (40' with 4 slides) to a comfortable 72 degrees by just using the fireplace.  Of course you have to remember, we are in California and our nights have been only in the maybe high 40's to low 50's at the coldest when we've used it.  But, even without that...it's makes the inside of the MH nice and cozy!!

Good Luck,
Mikie

Thanks so much for the info Mikie!  I will pass it along to my brother.  I'm in Southwest Idaho (your night temps have been our day temps) and my brother is in Southwest Washington.  They don't use the fiver during the winter but will be traveling to Yellowstone and then McCall, ID in June and then back to their beach property for the summer and fall.

Thanks again for sharing the info! 

M. 

I love McCall...we have good friends who own the hotel there.  Visit there as often as we can!!
Glad I could help.  It's always nice when I can give some one some assistance because I've learned so much from all of the great people on this site.  Even when I ask "stupid" questions, they always provide me with some kind of explanation! LOL
Mikie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom