What other trailer brands are at the same level as Alpenlite for quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttyR2

We're starting to think about upgrading from our 1991 Alpenlite 27ft 5'er to something around 32ft. We have been very happy with the Alpenlite build quality but I'm curious what other brands are in the same quality range. I've been told that Arctic Fox is similar, Keystones tend to be lower build quality.

We'll be looking at good used units, around the $15k range, 32ft, 5th wheel-only. Needs one or more slides as well.

If you are looking for the 32 ft range of Alpenlite I would stay clear of the 32RL with the huge picture window in the rear. We had thermal windows throughout our 32RL Alpenlite 5Ver but thermal is not available for the rear window. Very cold sitting in those recliners in the winter in the rear living room and much hotter in the summer months. We had to put an electric heater behind the recliners so we could sit there in the winter time in AZ. Other than that, if you like 5Vers you would like the 32 ft Alpenlite. We had very little trouble with ours. The problems were with the gas range, washer/dryer and problems created by dealers working on the 5Ver. 

Just get another Alpenlite.  I doubt you will be happy with what is out there today unless you go Mobile Suites.

Keystone does build some lower priced units but it is a big line and they make some pretty nice models too.  Most of the big companies are like that now and have quite a variety of lower and higher priced rigs.  Keystone's Montana line has same nice models and they show the Big Sky And Alpine as their luxury models.

Having seen a three slide setup, I think we're sold on a 32ft three slide Alpenlite.

Thanks for the input guys.

ttyR2 said:
Having seen a three slide setup, I think we're sold on a 32ft three slide Alpenlite.

Thanks for the input guys.

Good move.  Just remember that the last two or three years of Alpenlite they used Lippert frames instead of their own.

In the price range I'm looking at, I won't be buying any newer than a 2003, so should be good.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Arctic Fox is a good one, so is Sunnybrook (now part of Winnebago). Travel Supreme, Hitchiker, and Carrilite by Carriage are good bets.
New to this forum. I have not bought my 5th wheel yet, so I am still looking around. I have ordered my F250 Truck (wifey did not like the ride of the f350 empty), and will be keeping the payload, tires, etc. in mind when purchasing the 5W. Learned it all right here.

Gary, I like all of your common sense responses, and have learned a lot. I have one question: It seems that the Jayco brands do not make it on your short list of "good bets". I am wondering if there is a reason. I am actually considering Jayco 5W due to their 2 year warranty, and wifey and I do like the floor plans.

BTW, not just Gary, everyone here has good advice that I have been accumulating. From tires to hitches. This is a great community.

There has been numerous posts recently concerning Jayco QC of late.  A lot about junk under the roof material and other concerns.  And Jayco's lack of concern.  Not just on this forum but on all RV forums.

Donn,  I'm surprised at the info re Jayco.  My son bought a Jayco 19' trailer and it is pretty nice quality/build.  They had a problem with the fridge right off the get go and Camping World would not get around to fixing it quick enough.  A call to Jayco and it was ready in a day or two.  They also called back to make sure everything was taken care of.

Marsha~

I have the premier bullet line by Keystone.  I think they are good quality.  We love ours so far.  Here is the link. http://www.keystonerv-bullet.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=east

I can only speak of what I've owned personally over the years.  I've owned an older Alp and a Trail Bay TT.  Currently I have a Keystone Fuzion TH.  Bought it new in '10.  Been very happy with it so far, but have also read from folks who've had trouble with some KS stuff.  I think with any of the mass produced RV's, no matter the brand, it's the luck of the draw.  Hopefully you get one that was built Tue -Thurs, not a Mon or Fri.  Monday the workers are pissed that they are back at work - Friday they're in a rush to go home.  If I had it to do again and $$ was not an issue, my first choice would be New Horizons from Junction City, KS.  I've been to thier factory in JC and seen their work, and they'll build whatever floor plan you have in mind....pretty cool.  Second would be a toss up between Mobile Suites and Alpenlite. 

donn said:
Good move.  Just remember that the last two or three years of Alpenlite they used Lippert frames instead of their own.

Are Lippert frames good or bad?

Ralph

from what I read, they had a run of failed 5th wheel frames up around the bed area for a while. it is a little annoying when the trailer folds up in that area and damages your truck too.
Once again, this is not from personal experience and look around for yourself regarding 5th wheel frame failures.

Yikes!

Okay, thanks for the information. I am gathering towards a decision on a nice 5th wheel, my first.

Ralph

ttyR2 said:
We're starting to think about upgrading from our 1991 Alpenlite 27ft 5'er to something around 32ft. We have been very happy with the Alpenlite build quality but I'm curious what other brands are in the same quality range. I've been told that Arctic Fox is similar, Keystones tend to be lower build quality.

We'll be looking at good used units, around the $15k range, 32ft, 5th wheel-only. Needs one or more slides as well.

We have a 2006 Jayco 26.6 and after owning many pull trailers over the years, I believe my wife said this is perfect for us. It has a 12' slide, and best of all, it has the queen walk around bed on one end, and the bathroom on the other. Lots of counter space too. I sure do hope she stays liking it, because I'm danged tired of buying trailers !!  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom