Roadtrek Agile Article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

Don't know if this article has ever been pointed out or not but I found it enjoyable so thought I would share it with B van owners or would  be owners.

http://www.rvmagonline.com/travel/0906rv-roadtrek-2500-sprinter-ss-agile/viewall.html

CamperAL

Interesting but long article. I think I can say with some degree of confidence that it applied to the ERA or any Mercedes/Sprinter chassis Class B.

Hi Karsty,

Yes, it was meant for all B Vans, but also for those who might be looking at Roadtreks like myself. I did look in an ERA when I was at the Ohio dealer and like it as well. Best!

Although I believe that Roadtrek commands too high a price for their product, I can really appreciate that they make the B class sprinter in a couple different lengths.  Personally, if I had a Roadtrek budget, I'd buy an Airstream Interstate...unless I needed something shorter.  Incidentally, I have an ERA budget, so that's where I ended up.

Greetings pickett,

Can I ask what you like about the Airstreams Interstate? I know that Airstream has in the past had lots of high quality and I have stayed in my sister's Airstream when visiting for several weeks. I do lilke how they are built.

Al, Roadtrek owners have a certain brand loyalty and my intention is not to offend.  However, if you just walk through both the Roadtrek and Airstream units, it is apparent (to me) that the latter is a better choice.  The two really don't belong in the same price range, keeping in mind that they're both pretty expensive.  The exterior of the Airstream is cleaner looking, the cabinetry is of more durable and argueably better styling, the seating is leaps and bounds more comfortable and of better quality materials and workmanship.  Motorized awning, larger tanks, and on and on.  That being said, if the Roadtrek was less expensive, it would be a good buy.  Now the Roadtrek is only slightly nicer than the Winnebago ERA, but not worth the price difference.  One thing I envy in the Roadtrek is the shallow depth cabinets, the extra few inches really makes a difference in the vans.  Lastly, let me reiterate that if you need a shorter length van, then Roadtrek is the only way to go.

Hi Pickett,

I respect your opinion and not offended at all since I am looking, I take everything said and weigh it carefully. I am impressed by Len and Jo's home made van. However I'd rather not do a project on that scale.

I do want a short length van say 20 to 23 foot long. Not really looking for a big area. Only need to sleep, eat and have a bathroom handy as we travel. I look forward to trying to strech out our water, and internal utilities while on the road.

I do plan on buying a used Roadtrek and want to spend in the $60 K to $65 k area. I figure with a diesel engine it will be good for a long time. The Sprinter base is what I am after along with the better milage a diesel gets. I have been informed that I could buy a larger less expensive unit and save a lot of $$ that could be used on gas but looking for a small RV. All my best to you and any other comments are most welcome!

BTW, I'll take a better look at the Airstreams.

What we like about the 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes Sprinter:

1. Driveability. It's a great road vehicle at almost any speed although very high broadside winds cause us to slow down. Wife loves to drive and we switch off every 2 or 3 hours.
2. Fuel economy. We just did about 1,200 miles through the Rockies and back and got around 22-23 mpg.
3. Reliability. No problems over our almost 20,000 miles in two years. Vehicle just topped 72k miles and may be broken in.
4. Comfort.
5. Power. We just did a 10-mile, 13 degree stretch in Utah. No problem. Our five cylinder diesel can stay with most cars in the mountains, although I tend to cool it a bit.

What bugs me:

1. Not as many dealers service the Sprinter as Fords or Chevys.
2. Service costs more per visit, but oil changes are required only every 10k miles.
3. Newer (post 2007 or 2008) Sprinters get much poorer mileage than ours does because of new EPA emissions requirements that make all diesels less efficient and more expensive.

Hi Oldedit,

Thanks for your comments about your sprinter. I was actually going to ask you since I knew you had bought one fairly recent and had time to drive it around some. I am focused more on the 2006 models now and the Adventurous over the Agille. They have a slightly larger bathroom and more space.

Also appreciate your comments on the negatives you see. I think those are tolerable. The sprinter forum has a list of places that service sprinter vans. I plan on having a copy when I get my sprinter and keep it hand in the event of trouble.

Any more comments? I'd sure like to hear when you do have them. Best to you and all.

Back
Top Bottom