Ham Radio Wanta-be!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunwalker

We have just within the last three week bought a new TT and plan to travel a bit this year and I would like to involve ham radio in my travels.  My question is: I have had a life time interest in amateur radio and between kids, military, and job have not had the time to get involved. I am now because of my military service almost deaf and do not want to get involved with code. So I am looking for a good group to join in the N. Dallas area to try to get licensed. Anyone have a suggestion as to a group to talk to and/or a good at home course I could enroll?

do a google search on "hamtestonline"... they have an online course that'll get you there.  IIRC the website is www.hamtestonline.com

There is more help here too!  http://www.arrl.org/licensing-preparation-exams/

Also here,  http://www.arrl.org/licensing-preparation-exams/

Also here,  http://www.w5fc.org/

Edit: Fixed links.

also on the ARRL website you should be able to find a local club.  fine folks who will be happen to welcome you to the ham radio community & get started.

Joel W4JNM

As you know by now there are no code requirements in any of the three levels of ham license.  Pass the written test and you are good to go.  I have found the on line reviews good, I used the free ones for my general and extra tests, passed with ease.  ARRL is an excellent resource.  You should also look for ham fests in your area.  A great place to meet folks and check out the latest in stuff--and flea markets for used gear.  Randy, W7NW

While you are studying for the tests - And i do recommend that you buy the study books to read and not just memorize the questions/answers - Study for both the Tech & General so that you can take both tests at the same time.  They are really very close in difficulty.  And if you have any electrical/electronics background, you will pass them both with ease.

Good Luck.

I agree with "bendts" above.

I'm an ARRL VE, which means that my team sets up testing for others.  The ARRL current test cost is $15. and you could take all three tests for that one price at the same setting. If one is failed, you would have to pay again to re-test. So taking two tests at same setting is a good idea and deal.

Jerry Wyatt
N7QVU

My son wants us to get into this so we can communicate while camping and hunting in mountain areas of the white mountains of AZ.  I bought a ARRL Ham Radio Technician Manual with test question and a test CD.  So far, I have managed to confuse myself pretty good. :-\

But reading the manual, going to the test questions, then going back to the manual, then the test questions, some of it is slowly sinkin in.  I'm not sure why one needs to know all the technical details of radio construction when I just want to buy a radio and be able to communicate with others.  I suspect a lot of it has to do with the proper procedures of Amateur Radio use.

Lowell, the reason for the technical knowledge requirement is so you can tell when your equipment is not working correctly.  In years past, many of us built our own rigs and the technical knowledge was mandatory or you didn't get on the air.

Ned said:
, the reason for the technical knowledge requirement is so you can tell when your equipment is not working correctly. 

Ned, are the ham radios tempermental?  Do they require a lot of  fine tuning?  Our main reason for using them is that we want to be able to communicate in areas that don't have cell coverage. And also to keep incontact with folks at home. They are not inexpensive.

A few years ago, we were back 32 miles in a Wilderness area and experinced 2 cut tires on our truck at the same time.  We were fortunate that a National Forest worker came along and was able to use his radio to contact the Ranger's office as we would not have been able to drive out/.

Although I'm still licensed, I've not been active as a ham for may years.  I'll let others with more recent experience (Jim G, where are you?) give you the details.  But, no, modern ham radios aren't temperamental, any more than any other piece of electronics, but like any device they can fail or get out of specification.  Also, the technical knowledge will let you get the best performance out of your equipment.

Being 32 miles from anywhere is no guarantee that a ham radio will work, anymore than any other radio.

Lowell said:
  Our main reason for using them is that we want to be able to communicate in areas that don't have cell coverage. And also to keep incontact with folks at home. They are not inexpensive.

Have you considered a satellite phone?

I have considered renting a Satelite phone.  But I would need more than one when we are elk hunting.  But that would solve the issue I suppose.

But a big factor is my son's desire to get into ham radio and drag me along. :-\

Lowell said:
Ned, are the ham radios tempermental?  Do they require a lot of  fine tuning?  Our main reason for using them is that we want to be able to communicate in areas that don't have cell coverage. And also to keep incontact with folks at home. They are not inexpensive.

A few years ago, we were back 32 miles in a Wilderness area and experinced 2 cut tires on our truck at the same time.  We were fortunate that a National Forest worker came along and was able to use his radio to contact the Ranger's office as we would not have been able to drive out/.

Hello all - I'm new to this forum.  I have been active in ham radio for over 45 years.  Lowell to answer your questions, modern ham radio equipment is not tempermental and does not require a lot of tuning.  With modern ham equipment you basically just dial the frequency and mode you want, and communicate.  Of course there's a learning curve to use the radio properly, and getting a good radio and antenna installation is important, but there is plenty of hams that can assistance with those issues.  For those interested in becoming a licensed ham here is a link to a free amateur radio practice tests: http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ 

Butch, KF4HR

This thread is a bit old.  I did get my Ham license a little over a year ago.  I have a small hand radio in 2 and 6 meter and a moble in 2 meter.  I don't use it much unless I am in the mountains camping or hunting.  Using linked repeaters, I was able to speak to my son about 220 miles away.

Hi John,

I chose the Yaesu FT-60R/E.  I have been very satisfied with it. 

For my mobile I purchased a Kenwood Tm-281.  I have been satisfied with it as well.

I purchased a PC programer for both radios with cables.  It sure makes is a lot easier to program in the frequencies. 

Lowell
KF7YET

Hi Lowell,  Congratulations on getting your ham license.  Unlike a lot of my ham friends I have only had my license since 1993 and in my mid 60s.  I have been active in the past doing mobile HF while doing my job.  Started out with a 10m rig and moved on to an all-band, all mode, Yaesu FT-857D.  Also run a Yaesu FT-897 at home on occasion.  Been known to pack up my FT-897 with my Outbacker/Outpost to play while in the campground SSB and digital modes.
Hope to catch you on the air.

Ed
K3CAV
Westminster, MD

I build a 2-meter J-Pole antenna with 1/2 copper pipe from plans I saw on U-tube. I installed it on my house using an old TV antenna pole.  It seems to be working very well.    Now I need to buy a power supply so I can use my mobile in the den.  My son suggested the MFJ4125 power supply.  Anyone using it?

Lowell
KF7YET

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom